To late to get into modding?

Kife1100

Well I have played Oblivion since it first came out on the 360. Since then I have bought it for my laptop and well, I have tried running Skyrim on here and I think I get about 12-13FPS. Lately I have been diving into the mods for Oblivion; custom races, dungeons, quests. I was interested in starting to create my own and be apart of this community. Is it to late? How many of the Oblivion modders are moving to Skyrim once the official CS releases?

Well either way I think I should learn how to anyway ;P thanks!

It's not too late. There's several modders still working on things.

I have a HUGE mod going to be released in a few months for closed beta testing and I know people like David Brasher continue to make excellent quality mods. There's also a few others who are still trying to get their projects done before they dive in to Skyrim.

If you need help don't be ashamed to ask. There's also plenty of knowledgeable people here like fore and fg109 who can set you straight if you need help.

Hi friend,

modders will come to Tes IV, modder will go to Tes V. We still see new mod for Tes III here. I think it will last for 5 to 10 years till the last modder will leave Tes IV. Perhaps I will learn, how to handle scripting and blender up to then. Nowerdays I have some fine looking armors "stolen" together and retextured in nif-skope, but I'm not able to get the nif-files to the game or OCS. I'm a modding noob.

So, do your work and show it to public and don't think about future could be cold and empty. It will be a long time term, until in this community last man switches of the lights.

Have fun here :thumbsup:

Harvald

Oblivion modding might not die, but it's certainly becoming a lot less popular.

... which could make your contribution to the TESIV community that much more important and appreciated. Half full or half empty? I generally find that somehow, whatever the amount, it's just what I needed.

@Kife1100:

I for one will continue to mod Oblivion for years to come (when I get my computer). Many people are already comfortable and knowledgable with tesIV modding. As I understand it, they made a whole new engine for tesV, meaning new syntax and processes to learn. I for one just got familiar with tesIV modding, after years of research. If you wish to acquire a skill which would be universally usable, I would reccomend learning a graphic manipulation program (gimp or photoshop, preferably both). Learning NifSkope would be the next step. There is a lot to learn in the skope. I would start with getting to know the different texture properties, alpha channel usage, gloss and glow.

@Harvald:

What exactly are you trying to do? Why can't you get the object into the game once it is reskinned? Are you providing a UV map? Did you mess up a part in NifSkope? Once you have saved it in the skope, it should be fairly simple to put into the game.

hope this helps,

theuseless

Edited by theuseless

Well I have played Oblivion since it first came out on the 360. Since then I have bought it for my laptop and well, I have tried running Skyrim on here and I think I get about 12-13FPS. Lately I have been diving into the mods for Oblivion; custom races, dungeons, quests. I was interested in starting to create my own and be apart of this community. Is it to late? How many of the Oblivion modders are moving to Skyrim once the official CS releases?

Too late? Skyrim's been out, what, a few days? Do you think the hundreds of people involved in modding Oblivion and the tens of thousands involved in playing plenty of those mods are just going to jump at Bethsoft's PR campaign and abandon a favorite game overnight? It doesn't happen like that. I haven't noticed a drop in traffic in the official modding forum, and there are still plenty of mod releases in progress.

It's funny, but this is a copy of what happened when Oblivion first appeared. Some people would assume that Morrowind modding was going to stop overnight. In fact, it continued at just about the same level for 2-3 years, and is still quite active though on a reduced basis, today. I'd give the Oblivion modding community 2-3 years in turn at full strength--if Bethsoft's Skyrim modding tools are strong, and allow for fixing its worst issues, such as the UI.

Remember, these are modders and mod players. Not the casual spend-a-ton-play-for-a-month-what's-the-next-greatest-game crowd. These are people who know what they like, invest in its development, and stick with it.

We're not going anywhere. And I'm not about to stop working on my character merchant mod, either. ;)