BEWARE: I just skipped a mainquest unintentionally

FlexySanders

For everyone who currently has to "Retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller": Don't visit any Burrows (where the Word walls are).

I visited the burrow that comes after this quest without knowing, so I got a FAILED mark on the quest. It didn't break the quest, but it skipped information on you. That kinda sucks, so avoid it.

I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you which exact Burrow to avoid, but I'll update this post as soon as I get home. I can only tell you that it's in the marshes to the east of solitude.

That's actually irrelevant. That's not why you "failed" that quest. Failing that quest is, in fact, part of the main quest. Read the note you get at the end of the dungeon.

You failed it because someone else got there first, took the horn, and left you a note to meet them at the Riverside Inn and ask for the Attic Room. It starts A Blade In The Dark.

That's actually irrelevant. That's not why you "failed" that quest. Failing that quest is, in fact, part of the main quest. Read the note you get at the end of the dungeon.

You failed it because someone else got there first, took the horn, and left you a note to meet them at the Riverside Inn and ask for the Attic Room. It starts A Blade In The Dark.

Yeah, I read the note. But I still skipped the 1st part of the quest because I didn't even visit the location that was marked for it and instead went to retrieve the note beforehand.

It's just that the NPC later talks to you about a few things you (the player) can't possibly know (you would know if you did the 1st part of the quest).

Edited by FlexySanders

No, the first part of the quest named "Retrieve the Horn of Jurgen WIndcaller" sets the marker to a cave on the far west side of the map. I wasn't there so I don't know what happens at this point in the story.

Afterwards you have to go to the Burrow where you'll find the note.

nooo... thats where you go for the horn .. the note is found where the horn should have been .. you didn't skip anything.

If I remember correctly, you can't even get that far into the barrow with the horn until you learn the whirlwind dash shout unless you cheat. The three gates that work on a sensor are kinda designed that way.

Pity there aren't more locations which do a similar thing. Something of a Metroidvania wouldn't be too much of a bad thing to make things linear instead of the old "door needs a key" bit.