I am terribly disappointed in Bethesda

CelerasRingor

It is a bleak, unforgiving, stern, and humorless game. It is very heavy, masculine, and bullying. There is little kindness, and only some gratitude. I have not tried marriage yet, but I hope it isn't one day of love and years of arguing.

The game reaches out and grabs you and pulls you along before you can object, so your challenge is "How on earth do I escape from this?"

The voice acting is superb. The writing is great. The scenery, although I wouldn't call it beautiful, is stunning, breathtaking sometimes. You can wander the world. The map barely functions as a map, and it is ugly.

I have come across two places that have a front entrance and a back exit. If you start at the exit without following a quest line, you'll see glitches and tears. If you follow the quest line to the front entrance, no problem.

The combat is very tough sometimes, making running often a viable option. The shouts rule.

This, and more, is the world as it is. You can't expect something else, then hate where you are. Be there and rise to the challenge. I think this game has modders drooling.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Creation Kit or whatever they decide to name it will solve a lot of these problems by simply allowing you to remove the 'essenial' flags from all npc's, and im sure ppl will be hard at work fixing the short commings of the game in no time.

Best advice is just mess around in game dont take it seriously and let our talented modding comunity make the game we really wanted for us.

It is a bleak, unforgiving, stern, and humorless game. It is very heavy, masculine, and bullying. There is little kindness, and only some gratitude. I have not tried marriage yet, but I hope it isn't one day of love and years of arguing.

I realize I snipped some parts where you said you really liked the game, but I wanted to add one experience I had with it yesterday.

I was wandering along the road from Whiterun to Riverwood and, using Detect Life, noticed a blue (non-hostile) person a little ways in front of me. I ran to catch up and then spoke to him. Can't remember his name, but he was a wandering minstrel. I paid 20 gold and he sung a song about the Dragonborn. I thought that was pretty cool.

I realize I snipped some parts where you said you really liked the game, but I wanted to add one experience I had with it yesterday.

I was wandering along the road from Whiterun to Riverwood and, using Detect Life, noticed a blue (non-hostile) person a little ways in front of me. I ran to catch up and then spoke to him. Can't remember his name, but he was a wandering minstrel. I paid 20 gold and he sung a song about the Dragonborn. I thought that was pretty cool.

Hey, I really like that. I need to walk more. Detect life...good idea.

I did not like the haunted house quest that much aswell. What i find worse as a good guy is that i can heal nobody in the tents. The gameworld def should have more interaction, but for a game this size, it is already pretty thick and in the future mods will only continue to expand upon it. Edited by Nadimos

I like to complete every quest as well and some just won't go away. Like the one for the bloke with the Mythic Dawn museum, somewhere I can't remember. I only spoke to him and that was it no going back, now I've got this quest to go speak to him... AGAIN :wallbash:

As for bugs I don't even want to go there right now, I'm just praying for a patch soon from somewhere/someone. I've got the same quest I've completed twice stuck in my journal to do list.

That's the biggest issue yes: tons of quest but they are pretty much all very, very linear.

I tried playing a neural good char at first, you know, reasonable hero that doesn't go nuts with daedras and stuff, protect the weak, etc. But then I realised that you couldn't actually do s***. You had "good" quests, you had "bad quests", do them all, nobody cares.

With Daedras, it's either join/submit, or ignore quest totally (that house quest bummed me immensely). Same beef with Thief Guild. Companions are frikkin beasts and you can't even join the Silver Hand to help destroy them?

And as said, most NPCs for these are unkillable and even if not, it doesn't matter anyway since it's not quested. Heck, I joined the legion and wasted Ulfric in his castle at level 11, he just got back up.

Elder Scrolls always has been a very good design, and a terrible design at the same time. It's a RPG that's not a RPG, it's a sandbox open world that's completely stacked full of emptiness and doesn't care, a tabletop with the most moronic game master ever.

Basically: The worst best thing we love to hate and hate to love. It's digital heroin :)

Edited by mutonizer

some quests give you choices. for example in markath in a quest i had to either kill a poor mining beggar or..well kill the man who told me to kill the beggar. Also in regards to the Daedra quest. YOU CAN CHOOSE AND SAY : "I dont want to do it" and he frees you from the cage anyway..(with the quest still available..which i guess is bugged)

also. there is some light in this dark tunnel: TEMPLE OF MARA QUESTS.

Edited by Raider101

From what I remember in previous games there has been at least a choice to do quests but often they haven't allowed you to change things in them too much. I mean throughout the dark brotherhood in Oblivion you couldn't really be that nice. I mean there were people you could kill or choose not to kill but you were still pretty evil. I just think you shouldn't be scared of using numerous characters and playing one out as evil. Admittedly Skyrim is more horrible in a way that Oblivion was but thats quite interesting and lets us have new experiences - personally I found it quite refreshing that the Fighters Guild was no longer 'Imperial Legion Lite' and had a bit more personality. Being forced into quests is quite irritating but I think you have to lose some of your OCD for having a completey clear Journal. Also, to the 'no silver hand' posts etc.. there have always been factions which aren't join-able but you just have to get used to that (you could say that Skyrim should have fixed this problem but what-oh). As to the complaints about short quest lines at least the actual quests are a bit of an improvement on previous games with less annoying visiting of obscure and boring caves to do something menial/pointless. There are still radiant quests for the Companions you just don't have to do them and can get on with the more interesting stuff sooner - I like this because it means no more *do five pointless and boring quests to attain high enough rank for next interesting one*. The main problem that you guys have voiced and one that I agree with is the lack of rumours and people talking about you. After all you are a legendary dragonborn but really this is a small problem and I'd rather have my NPC's leading semi-realistic lives than how in Oblivion they would just knock into each other and exclaim over and over about *Did you hear the Champion of Cyrodil lost his sweet roll?*

EDIT: There is also a quest were you can slaughter the entire dark brotherhood seems like a fairly good thing to do and not something thats been an actual objective in games before. BTW this quest stems entirely from a choice you make during a dark brotherhood quest.

Edited by Dambuster

"2. Non dynamic quests. I came across a quest in a city called Markarth that got me interested in the beginning but at the end, made me quit the game outright. This quest has you enter an abandoned house with another person that is hunting deadra and their worshipers. I won't explain the whole quest but at the end, instead of having a choice to do the right thing, you are forced to beat an old man to death TWICE or you'll just have to ignore that quest altogether. There is no 'good' ending to that quest which really upset me. Again, if you want to be a good guy, you are just SOL."

Really?

There are several opt-outs during Molag Bals quest, it seems you failed the test of actually being a 'good guy'.