The Pending Death of Fallout 4 - Murder by Mod System

montybu

What?!? Totally not my experience. Almost every patch my saves break and I have to start over. No amount of fixing I find from the Nexus forums helps. Except for my first play through with no mods, I have never finished a game. They always break before I can play that long. Since I am not alone in this I am wondering what world you live in?

The world where I've been creating mods for Bethesda games for the last decade, that's where. The same world where I have created several Fallout 4 mods and not one has broken because of a Bethesda patch. And, surprisingly enough, the same world you live in. Edited by Reneer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?!? Totally not my experience. Almost every patch my saves break and I have to start over. No amount of fixing I find from the Nexus forums helps. Except for my first play through with no mods, I have never finished a game. They always break before I can play that long. Since I am not alone in this I am wondering what world you live in?

The world where I've been creating mods for Bethesda games for the last decade, that's where. The same world where I have created several Fallout 4 mods and not one has broken because of a Bethesda patch. And, surprisingly enough, the same world you live in.

Unless of course the Nexus is also at the centre of a Dimensional anomoly and he actually posted here during some sort of event - that he actually doesn't live on our world at all......

Not likely but I dunno - as likely as the emergance of humans on a planet that just happens to be 22400 or so light years from the centre of it's galaxy.

Leave me alone.

I would respectfully put your post in the doom and gloom genre. Beth's path will, is, rather predictable: publish, patch, DLC, rinse, repeat, for a fairly predictable period. Will they respond to modding? within their system yes, outside no. Will breaking mods render a game back to it's near broken state without modding? No. The pre-suppositions are wrong. It wasn't and isn't broken, most mods may not need to be updated, and change is the only thing we can count on. No one will ever be able to load 150 mods, get everything working perfectly, and sit back for the rest of their playing days assured things are well.

Believe me the modding community is far from giving up on this game... we haven't even started yet.

Give it a year or two and the mods will be awesome :smile:

Hell all the dlc hasn't even come out yet, most modder's probably aren't even gonna bother until the last update.

Plus atm I'm running over 200+ plugins, and I can play for 5+ hours with no crash! That alone will draw modder's for years to come.

Edited by Userper

Whilst you by no means suggested all users are lazy, passive aggressive whinging illiterate, head-arse baffling manic installers of mods without looking because Todd Howard told them so I feel I have to say in defence of some users that I've not been a fan of Howard since "Happy Days" and even then I far preffered the Fonz.

Edit - just a small point regarding the supposed death of Fallout 4 & the community - my game was unplayable yesterday afternoon - I went away and slept for 8 hours, came back and apparently the dying community had sorted most of it out - I have empiracal evidence on the subject given that my settlers are no longer turning into Radroaches.

They're not radroaches, your settlers turned into Clint Howard, Ron's younger brother.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/epics/ENT19.jpg

It is not Bethesda's job to make sure mods survive every patch. And most mods do survive patches, unless they do some really funky scripting stuff. And Bethesda can not account for that. If you make a mod and its due to its nature prone to violent damage after a game patch then guess what, code it so its less dependant on patch changes.

giphy.gif

Obama = Bethesda

It is not Bethesda's job to make sure mods survive every patch.

Well if the day comes when paid modding is a reality Beth will have to address this a lot more closely than they do now. Especially in the console market. They will not want to put out game patches or updates that will break mods if they can help it.

*Sigh* This idea that mods stop working every time Bethesda releases a patch is completely wrong. My Radio Mod for Fallout 4 was released back in January and has never "broken" because of a Fallout 4 patch. Furthermore, mods don't just "die" or become "invalid" after some indeterminate period. My Knock Out Arrows mod for Oblivion still works just fine, despite it being about 10 years old. Might there be newer, better mods that do the same thing? Sure. But that's just how it happens - new mods (sometimes) replace older mods and the cycle continues.

Thank you ... I have had the exact same experience and it's more than just frustrating. I figure that I will not be able to play the game through to an ending ... until all the DLC's are out and done.

So for now, I'm playing and checking out various MODS that look like they might be fun, totally expecting another 'fix' or 'patch' or 'DLC update' ... that will make it so I have to start the game over again.

I do not even have a low end machine. I have a high end with plenty of V-Ram - Ram - CPU and all. I went "all out" on this machine. So no, I do not blame the machine and cannot blame the machine.

It is not Bethesda's job to make sure mods survive every patch. And most mods do survive patches, unless they do some really funky scripting stuff. And Bethesda can not account for that. If you make a mod and its due to its nature prone to violent damage after a game patch then guess what, code it so its less dependant on patch changes.

giphy.gif

Obama = Bethesda

Sad but true. Just like MOD's cannot "know" when "updates/patches" from Beth will come out. No one wins. I do not blame Beth and I do not Blame Mod creators. This is literally a no-win situation. Even James T. Kirk could not 'win' this one.

It simply is a very real frustration that is. :(