Is it legal...

Goliath978

If you purchased the 360 version, you only purchased the license to use the 360 version. If you steal a PC version, you've stolen software. They can prosecute for that. In all likelihood, they will.

I play it on the 360, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. You will too. don't steal from the company that makes the things you love... support that company, so they can continue to make the things you love. Yes, you're just one person... but you're definitely not the only person out there thinking of stealing the software. And just like voting, if you and a thousand other people decide to do the right thing, we'll get an Elder Scrolls 6 that will be magnitudes of awesome greater than 5 and 4 and 3.

Do the right thing. You'd want someone else to treat you fairly.

Double post.

And yes...the guy 2 posts up said hat

They are not, the 360 isn't the same as the PC version, each contains unique code that you buy a licence to use. There's nothing wrong with running the game from the unprotected executable, there's plenty wrong with stealing the game.

meh I bought two new copies of fallout new vegas for the ps3. When I got a comp that could handle it at a good setting I pirated it. I was sure as hell not going to buy the same game three times. And I seriously doubt in the legal system that they would pursue of even have a case with proof of purchase of the same game for another system. You gave them their money for the intellectual property. But then again your definition of wrong and mine are most certainly different.

Banned for Advocating piracy.

Piracy is still piracy no matter how many copies you own for another platform. Advocating piracy for ANY reason is an instant ban here. If you want to debate this please take it up wth Bethsoft's lawyers and not on this site - as arguing for piracy is another instant ban.

Bben46, Moderator

Okay the word prosecute got me. I'll just uh...see if I can get a trade. Although it's nonsense. If you buy the 360 version you should unlock the pirated version free. I mean...come on...we all know that tons of people do it. I bet there's a few peeps here too.

You wont get prosecuted for downloading one game. Not that I am encouraging you to do it. But if you paid them for their time once and don't feel like paying them twice don't let people try to guilt trip you with the stealing s***. It would be nice if they have some sort of discount if you buy it for multiple systems because it did not cost them the same amount of time and money to port the game over as the time taken to design it initially. I have taken that route if it was available for my situation mentioned before.

Yes, it would be nice, but they don't do that. So you are still a pirate.

Bben46, Moderator

You could probably rationalize pirating the PC version of Oblivion/Fallout 3 assuming you were a PS3 owner back when DLC wasn't available to buy, but that's about the only reason I can think of. Really, if you're going to pirate the game you're going to pirate the game, no need to post a thread that will end up in another piracy debate and get locked. Edited by urbex

that pain called steam

Wut?

Yes, you can. Legally? No, you cannot.

You couldn't buy DLC though, unless you bought it for your xbox version. Steam won't let you buy DLC unless you own the game on steam. Pirate the dlc and mail them $5? ./sigh

You said you've got money, just buy it on Steam.

Or return the 360 version and buy the steam version. They're the same price.

Edited by Trey5511

You could probably rationalize pirating the PC version of Oblivion/Fallout 3 assuming you were a PS3 owner back when DLC wasn't available to buy, but that's about the only reason I can think of. Really, if you're going to pirate the game you're going to pirate the game, no need to post a thread that will end up in another piracy debate and get locked.

You can rationalize anything. Point is he paid the developers for their intellectual property. He bought skyrim end of story.

@OP: it hasn't really been said whether or not it's legal to use cracked executables with games you've legitimately purchased. I'd say it falls under fair use, and I'd argue that in court, but I might lose. What I am completely confident in saying is that it's not piracy.

Please take it up with the Bethsoft lawyers. Do not discuss piracy in any for or for any reason here.

Bben46, Moderator

I heard you can bypass launching steam by linking the game exe to a shortcut. You have to install steam ans activate your game but you don't need to run steam. apparently.

That is true indeed. I had an issue at one point saying the game was unavailable, so I just went into the directory and found the .exe file and pinned it to my taskbar. it starts it from the .exe directly so you don't have to deal with steam. You will however have to run it through steam at some point if an update is released. which you already know, I guess.

If you don't know the directory it should be local disk\program files\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

and then pick either "SkyrimLauncher.exe" or "TESV.exe"

That said... I agree there's nothing wrong with steam. Only reason I can see anyone having a problem with it is if they aren't true pc gamers. :P

:thumbsup: YES! That is a legal way to play without having to start steam every time - However, you still have to use steam to activate the game the first time. It actually downloads some content that is not on the DVD.

Bben46