Is it me or does Skyrim seem dark and kind of depressing to you?

Pineapplerum

It is horribly gray. I can understand the mood that they wanted to set, but there's a fine line between a dark atmosphere and a boring atmosphere.

It's easy to fix though - just use the FXAA injector, turn everytihng off except tonemapping, and in that set of variables, just change the saturation to something like 0.4 or 0.5. It worked wonders for me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A unicorn puking out a rainbow? What is up with people and rainbows and unicorns? I said nothing of such of either.

I think you're taking it to extremes with those kinds of comments. I appreciate that people may like the washed out atmosphere and feel it fits in with the environment.

I actually really thought it was my graphics not handling the game well. But from the comments, both against and for the greyness, I can see everyone is experiencing it in their game, too.

That's all I really cared about. Everything else was just an opinion. And everyone has an opinion, right? To each his own.

I'm just very thankful for modders, YAY! :D

Edited by Pineapplerum

I'm not asking for rainbows and unicorns (wtf?)
FYI, there were unicorns in Oblivion.

I like the atmosphere for intended purposes. I still think the lighting is more realistic than Oblivion, but needs to be edited. As I said before, the choice to make the night visible is a marketing decision.

The transition of weather are inconsistent, it can go from sunny to snowy instantly and more than often its snowy. I prefer longer clear sky periods just to enjoy the vistas.

Edited by tmx

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. It's very grim, dark and everything is in rubbles or decaying. There's no lively people and everyone is talking about how every faction used to be great (Winterhold, The Blades, Thieves Guild, Companions etc) but now are a shadow of their former self. The main stories (Civil War & Dragon threat) are underwhelming to me and you never feel like an epic hero like ''The Champion of Cyradiil''. They really went for the ''realistic'' depressed country in a civil war look and it's a tad bit too grim and underwhelming for my liking.

its suppose to be that way, its suppose to represent a medieval wartime,

look at lord of the rings two towers movie. it has a dark and cold sense to it like it was meant to have.

skyrim is no different with the war between stormcloaks and legion, and the fact its a northern region with bad weather.

ever watch braveheart? ever see a battle scene where it was bright and sunny? no because the weather sets the tone for everything.

there are days in skyrim where its nice and sunny and bright, but its few and far between and usually dont last long

I love skrim's color scheme... some of it's vegitation a bit `flat` looking... but that's the case with every game outside of my modded Crysis 1...

I love the tunrda area outside whiterun, and on a misty evening, the pine forests look amazing!