No leveling from "secondary skills" (like smithing)

saneroot

i'd really appreciate slowing down or disabling leveling of certain skills, as a mage character i don't want the 20 points in smithing from hearthfire building. speaking of which, i shouldn't even have to build anything as opposed to hiring laborers or something, but that's beyond the point

Edited by axfvh

i'd really appreciate slowing down or disabling leveling of certain skills, as a mage character i don't want the 20 points in smithing from hearthfire building. speaking of which, i shouldn't even have to build anything as opposed to hiring laborers or something, but that's beyond the point

This is now easily accomplished with the Community Uncapper.

Download it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1175/?

Go in to the .ini file in /Data/SKSE/ (its called SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini I believe) and set these 2 variables to "1" ==>

;Enable(1) or Disable(0) the Uncapper Skill Experience Gained Multipliers;
;Default value = 0
bUseSkillExpGainMults=1

;Enable(1) or Disable(0) the Uncapper Skill Experience to Player's Character Experience Multipliers;
;Default value = 0
bUsePCLevelSkillExpMults=1

Then, look for the list of variables under ===>>

[SkillExpGainMults]
; Set the Skill Experience Gained Multiplier to
; betwen 0.0 and 10000.0
; Using too low or too high values may crash the game. Handle them with caution.
; Default game value = 1.0
;(Setting bUsePCLevelNotBaseSkillLevel to 1, will use Character Level instead of Base Skill Level for the subsections)

fAlchemy=0.6
fAlteration=0.8
fArchery=0.8
fBlock=0.8
fConjuration=0.8
fDestruction=0.8
fEnchanting=0.6
fHeavyArmor=0.8
fIllusion=0.8
fLightArmor=0.8
fLockpicking=0.8
fOneHanded=0.7
fPickpocket=0.8
fRestoration=0.8
fSmithing=0.6
fSneak=0.8
fSpeech=0.8
fTwoHanded=0.8

bUsePCLevelNotBaseSkillLevel=0
and
[PCLevelSkillExpMults]
; Set the Skill Experience to Player's Character Experience Multipliers to
; betwen 0.0 and 10000.0
; Using too low or too high values may crash the game. Handle them with caution.
; Default game value = 1.0
; (Setting bUsePCLevelNotBaseSkillLevel to 1, will use Character Level instead of Base Skill Level for the subsections)

fAlchemy=0.6
fAlteration=0.8
fArchery=0.8
fBlock=0.8
fConjuration=0.8
fDestruction=0.8
fEnchanting=0.6
fHeavyArmor=0.8
fIllusion=0.8
fLightArmor=0.8
fLockpicking=0.8
fOneHanded=0.8
fPickpocket=0.8
fRestoration=0.8
fSmithing=0.6
fSneak=0.8
fSpeech=0.8
fTwoHanded=0.8

bUsePCLevelNotBaseSkillLevel=0

And change values as you see fit.

To clarify these values:

SkillExpGainMults = how fast you learn a skill

PCLevelSkillExpMults = how much XP is awarded to your character (which counts towards your character level) everytime you gain a skill

So, lets say you want only 7 Major Skills to level-up your character, you would set those major skills to:

fAlchemy=0.6
fAlteration=0.8
fArchery=0.8
fBlock=0.8
fConjuration=0.8
fDestruction=0.8
fEnchanting=0.6
(or whatever value you want)
and the rest of the skills to:
fHeavyArmor=0.0
fIllusion=0.0
fLightArmor=0.0
fLockpicking=0.0
fOneHanded=0.0
fPickpocket=0.0
fRestoration=0.0
fSmithing=0.0
fSneak=0.0
fSpeech=0.0
fTwoHanded=0.0

Which then makes it so that these skills DO NOT LEVEL UP YOUR CHARACTER (or give you any XP at all for that matter).

Chose accordingly.

You will have to customize this with every character though, so that each time you play, make a separate .ini file for that specific character-build, and drop it in the folder.

There are some mods that affect or create a primary/secondary skill system though, for example "Complete Character Overhaul" which is something that i use.

It basically brings back "Oblivion-style" character creation.

Quite nice mod.

• 7 months later...

Wouldn't it be simpler, though immersion breaking, to level the crafting by doing (ie: you craft all your cool gear, make your cool potions, enchant your cool enchantments) and then console command your level back down to a 'reasonable' level? You'd still have the perks from the non-combat skills, you wouldn't have an inflated 'false' level, and wouldn't get gimped by uber-mobs. You could even do the same to the three stats to put them back at reasonable levels. And when you level-cap, you can simply Legendary some of your nigh-on-useless skills to continue levelling up.