When will the complicated mods start to come out?

Skyviper086

We don't have animations, because no one has a 64bit version of the animation tools used.

The creation kit has never offered the ability to make custom animations in my experience.

Though there is that one guy custom scripting a program to make animations.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I'm mistaken - Skyrim currently sits around 50000 mods on this site - Fallout 4 has 12500. F4SE is still in it's infancy and the Creation Kit is barely a toddler - FO4 hasn't even started - we've seen nothing yet - a little patience and I'd put money on the fact we're gonna seen mods that surpass all thats gone before - the potential in the FO4 framework is immense - the game itself is still being patched regularly - once things settle down and modders have a full set of tools it's going to be awesome.

I cannae wait!

:cool:

Exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm seeing a lot of stuff in the vanilla game that makes my eyes widen in shock. I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy in seeing the potential for so many mod developers. I mean the animations alone are insane.

The most dangerous thing for modders is their ambition exceeding their technical skill. That is why so many remake/total conversion mods fail. They start with big ideas then collapse because the idea guy realized he has to do most of the hard work himself and calling in 20 people to do the work for him does not work

This is so true. I know my strengths and weaknesses. I've made a few mods but for myself and just simple things like a building a or two here. Right now with New Vegas (since I have a new awesome computer) I'm actually doing some terrain modding and will do the whole LOD generation thing too.

You are absolutely correct about this. I too have seen many many mods that just go unfinished. You're all hyped up for ... half an acre of a new world ...

Which is why I'd like to learn how to mod a bit better. However my strength is audio work.

But as I said earlier I'm looking forward to seeing what people will come up with.

Ignoring entirely the bickering and back-and-forth and using previous titles as a model I'd say the complex stuff'll hit about a year after the CK's release. Third-party tools need to be updated or developed, and major questline mods take a lot of time to write, typically speaking. Plus they'll want to be fully voiced, and every mod has to do its own soul-searching about how to handle that with FO4 considering the voiced protagonist. So yeah, my estimation in a year.

Some will undoubtedly come out sooner, but a year is when I figure we'll see the floodgates open on high-end mods.

If you look at other games you'll see most complicated mods took a long time to come out and were first released well after the game was released. For instance XRE cars as someone mentioned wasn't out until 2013, 2 years after New Vegas also stuff like Project Brazil (Which isn't even fully released) has a lifespan of, what, five years now and has been constantly getting re-worked and old stuff changed. Edited by CiderMuffin

Once they've got the DLC's and patching done with then we'll likely see a few larger mods show up.

There's likely some in the works already, but they take time and waiting until the DLC are out would make sense as people could possibly have access to resources they would find useful.

Also safer for larger mod makers to wait until the patching process is done with, since there's less chance of their file conflicting with something that could be changed in a patch later (something that's already presented in some existing mods).

Well I think that too many people probably came into playing Skyrim or FONV after the game had been out for a while and many mods had been developed and now they are playing FO4 much earlier and expect to see those same type complex mods almost immediately. BTW I'm not saying the OP is such a person. I'm just saying this might be the general thinking of many users who never had to wait for mods in the past and don't have a real good understanding on what is involved. And as Vampire Dante mentioned above most of the larger mods will not show up until after all of the DLCs are released so the mod authors are more clear on what the whole process will involve.

Ignoring entirely the bickering and back-and-forth and using previous titles as a model I'd say the complex stuff'll hit about a year after the CK's release. Third-party tools need to be updated or developed, and major questline mods take a lot of time to write, typically speaking. Plus they'll want to be fully voiced, and every mod has to do its own soul-searching about how to handle that with FO4 considering the voiced protagonist. So yeah, my estimation in a year.

Some will undoubtedly come out sooner, but a year is when I figure we'll see the floodgates open on high-end mods.

Very good point right there about the third party tools. And voice work is something that takes a lot of time to get done right. Especially considering the multiple avenues the writing team will have to make available. I have a general idea for the story I want to tell because this something that has been touched on way back when in Fallout 2. However the story is based on a Fallout 2 companion most may not know about. I also firmly believe this information went unnoticed by the Bethesda research team because it isn't part of the main quest line.Because its a side quest and a bit of a pain the rear end.

But that's where my story is spawned from. I'd love getting some help to write but where to go I have no idea.

If you look at other games you'll see most complicated mods took a long time to come out and were first released well after the game was released. For instance XRE cars as someone mentioned wasn't out until 2013, 2 years after New Vegas also stuff like Project Brazil (Which isn't even fully released) has a lifespan of, what, five years now and has been constantly getting re-worked and old stuff changed.

Yeah you're right the XRE stuff did come toward the end .. then went silent. There's Project Brazil and another major mod on that level I'm waiting on too. (Frontier or something like that).

Once they've got the DLC's and patching done with then we'll likely see a few larger mods show up.

There's likely some in the works already, but they take time and waiting until the DLC are out would make sense as people could possibly have access to resources they would find useful.

Also safer for larger mod makers to wait until the patching process is done with, since there's less chance of their file conflicting with something that could be changed in a patch later (something that's already presented in some existing mods).

That makes a lot of sense. No sense in modding something if they're working on something that could make your mod pointless.. or will do something that will make it unusable.

Well I think that too many people probably came into playing Skyrim or FONV after the game had been out for a while and many mods had been developed and now they are playing FO4 much earlier and expect to see those same type complex mods almost immediately. BTW I'm not saying the OP is such a person. I'm just saying this might be the general thinking of many users who never had to wait for mods in the past and don't have a real good understanding on what is involved. And as Vampire Dante mentioned above most of the larger mods will not show up until after all of the DLCs are released so the mod authors are more clear on what the whole process will involve.

In a way I am but in a way I'm not (if that makes sense) I'm big into the mod development community. I love what mod developers are capable of doing. Am I'm just excited to see what people will come up with. FO4 has a lot of little goodies that my amateur eyes are seeing that I know other, more experienced, mod developers will have fun using.

The mod development community did some wonderful things for and to FONV. So I'm pumped to see what they'll do for FO4.

But that's why I asked the question. Because this is my first time to actually jump into a game while it's still hot a item. While things are still being worked on for it, etc.

And now I know. Wait until everything settles down and then see those amazing works show up.

About that time is when I would probably have DCS FC3 mastered.

Edited by Skyviper086

'Complicated' is subjective. I've created weapon mods that have 128+ individually moving parts, all animated inside of NifSkope. I thought that was pretty complicated to make.

It was a poor choice of words on the OP's part, but it seems they meant large-scale. Things like DLC-sized quests (some quests already exist) and major overhauls.