Zenimax Calling Copyright on Youtube?

l1nkown

It's simple: they simply don't want after the launch of their game 10 days later a video about killable children. I knew it's more realistic, but not quite after the launch as long as some news sites could take it and scream how awful this game is; especially in Germany/Austria the media takes all hints to make games bad, how bad combat games are for everyone and want to forbid everything.

If you would upload it after 3-6 months, nobody would take notice of it, but after the launch when they want to sell the game some video like this is bad and they have all rights to take the video down.

@kitsuneshoujo aka foxgirl

Skyrim is rated M

ESRB

OT

Bad publicity so they took it down. some people, even here get irate about the mod even though it's just a video game....people still treat it as if it's something horrendous, amazing how some people think pixels, polygons and textures = RL.

i use the mod, realism...before mod>seeing a dragon scorching peasants and soldiers and some kid standing in the blast as if it's just a windy day is seriously immersion breaking.

Oh come on. "For some odd reason".

You see how you named your video? You think Zenimax was wanting to get this as first result of the "Skyrim mod" research?

I don't want to be rude, but you really got what was coming to you, in my opinion.

I am not against a mod that would actually enable such feature, but having this video as first result on youtube is a totally different thing. Games are scapegoats. Publishers live in fear of public opinion. So if a scandal was to break out because of your video, that would mean drastic changes to Skyrim and to any Bethesda future software.

Games were cancelled because of public opinion. (one about Fallujah, I believe)

Were you Zenimax, you would've done the same. You don't want the work of hundreds over several years being undermined by public opinion just because a user posted a video with a harmful title on YouTube and someone over at Fox News or whatever spotted it and chose it as a good topic for tonight's news.

I know, what about free speech blah blah... I'm the biggest defender of free speech, but I also believe in private property. So I'll answer this: you aren't forbidden to upload it on the Internet, to display it somewhere, etc. You just won't have it on YouTube. YouTube is a private company, if they want your video down, they'll do it. You want to post your video with this exact wording, fine, post it somewhere else.

I don't think public opinion is ready for video games enabling such features as killing children, raping, etc. Yet it's totally fine when it's in a movie or in a book. I can see two factors explaining the difference here: first, video games are more recent means of expression. Second, in video games the "user" is the initiator of the action displayed. The distinction between player and character isn't too clear. Basically, a child murder in a movie is fiction; a child murder in a game is action. Yes, we're still talking about "pixels", but public opinion isn't ready to see gamers killing virtual children just for fun.

Leave YouTube. Curse Zenimax. But don't say you would've acted differently if you had been them.

Edited by Hoptic

No. A copyright holder may permit derivative works or categories of derivative works at their whim. Bethesda permits mods, which means that it's perfectly fine to make any mods you like - unless Bethesda tells you to stop, at which point you have to stop, or /then/ you will be in violation. Bethesda didn't tell him to stop making the mod, just to remove the advertisement on youtube. Which he did.

If I was a developer I'd rather deal with making fans a bit fustrated (even though it really doesn't matter) about god-mode children than deal with the flak from Media when they get board with current politics or there is big shooting.

Lets be honest without selves. Killable children? We ignore all the other holes in the logic of the game and focus on something thats just silly.

Other things to tackle for realism besides killable children:

1.) Gold weighs zero. I'm pretty sure a bag filled with 3000 coins would weigh something.....

2.) 300 lb weight limit, I'd like to see the man that can run in full plate armor carrying 200-300lbs of loose gear and fight in combat.

3.) Fast Travel, magicly ariving at your destination safe and sound without meeting any resistence makes allot of sense....

4.) There are WAY more bandits than there are people in all the cities. I'm pretty sure its like a 10/1 ratio. I'm pretty sure the bandits could have formed their own nation....

etc

etc

etc

Summary:

Just re-upload the video later. I'm sure it was just publicity control. Lets help them maintain their rep so we can get more great games from them.