Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falanu was one of my favourite NPCs in Oblivion. 8)

Agreed, I always meant to sneak inside her basement to see if there were any dead bodies down there. :tongue:

I actually don't mind the Dark Elves in Skyrim so much, my biggest problem is with the Bosmer and Altmer.

Looking at all three of them pictures I have to admit the Skyrim elf is the best one. :blink:

Although... just being pernickety now, I would just give her a teeny tiny little bit less pointy chin. lol, I guess if you look at the concept art (pic 2) he has a more rounded jaw line. So I am not a complete Philistine. :yes:

Well I dunno. The wrinkles and ridges were not there before and I don't like them very much, elves are supposed to be more beautiful than humans, not the other way around. I also thought the normal human eyes were just fine, the weird black and yellow and red scleras just look strange and wrong. And I know elves are supposed to be a little more lanky and gaunt but I think they made the elves a little TOO gaunt. And their faces are far too pointy.

That dude from the Thalmor embassy, have you seen his jaw? There's no way he could possibly see anything below that ludicrously deformed chin. It looks like a bus backed into it... twice.

Elves was in European mithology far before christianity and in that times they was higher and noble race of kings. My shameful knowlage of english lenguage don't permit me to explain properly. Christianity put an significant eforts to make them daemons and little creatures with long nails and teeths, because popes wants to estabished their favorites for kings.

and about this theme here Elfs in Skyrim game are uterly ugly and disfigured. Elves are far better then humans in any sence.

Well the Dumner are ugly for a reason, same for goes the Orcs.

I absolutely dissagree. For the most part. Think Janessa is entrancing. Combine her looks with Brylana's (I probably butchered the poor girls name) voice and you have a Barenziah clone. Maybe make her a few years younger...

People need to stop going by Oblivion when talking about how Elder Scrolls races should look.

Oblivion's, "faces" were an anomaly. They were absolutely horrendous creations of the equally awful middleware, "FaceGen." TES4 was completely lost in terms of artistic direction, so THANK GOD TES5 doesn't take after it.

Skyrim got all Elven races SPOT ON. They went back to their roots (Morrowind), and only changed what they had to---giving the elves a completely revamped but entirely sincere beauty.

Man feels like Man. Orc feels like Orc---and for once (since Morrowind) Elf feels like Elf.

Edited by teklanika

The problem with Oblivions elves wasn't FaceGen, it was Bethesdas inability to use it properly. Just look at the characters players and modders created,there are some really stunning characters in the Texnexus imageshare if anyone cares to look. As for Morrowinds elves, yes they were more angular but so were the rest of the races, it was due to the limitations of the time. As I said before, if Bethesda had given us a proper character generator then everyone would be happy, the Mr Potato Head style generator that comes with Skyrim is horribly limited.

As i have said before, i firmly beleive the attractivness problem has to do with the limited choices, rather than the designs themselves. To make the point (And something i can't beleive i didn't come up with earlier) lets look at the Dunmer women.

Now, these are base images, NOT retrxtures, as i think its important to reflect on Bethesda's image rather than some modders.

http://files.fluctuat.net/images/n/e/necrobli.jpg

There is Falanu, who most would argue is the most attractive Dunmer in Vanilla Oblivion.

http://www.gameranx.com/img/11-Oct/dunmer.jpg

There is a 'generic' Dunmer lass (Who is probably 4 times my age mind you)

http://images.uesp.net/b/bb/SR-npc-Karliah.jpg

And of course, Karliah. Do something with this girls hair, and i think we have a winner, no? Of course i'm pretty sure her facial texture isn't availiable for use in character creation...

The overal thematic designs of the faces are good, but our lack of choice makes things look like crap.

Edited by Lachdonin

I have not met karliah yet, but why doesn't she have the bags under her eyes? And if she doesn't have to have them why do all the other Dunmers in the game including character creator have to have them.

That's 99 percent of the trouble, right there.

Then let's consider if it's true as is being insisted on the other side of this ridiculous discussion, that Bethesda put this great deal of consideration into presenting the Dunmer and other characters as they are meant to look, then why did they give us those utterly amateur normal maps with the Blocky Chins?

Or did they just slap something together, thinking the modders will do what they do anyway, so let's not spend a whole lot of time on that, (a much more likely scenario in my opinion.) I do think they figured most players would play as Nords and so spent most of the precious energy they had for this on them. But anyone who has played other RPG fantasy games knows without question that not much of Bethesda's thought or resources goes into costumes, compared to quests and worldspaces. The dungeons absolutely knock me out and I submit that was one of their main focuses.

At any rate, what's the point of posting on this thread, if you're happy with the vanilla characters. Then go play and have fun. Else I'm tempted to think it's just to come and argue.