Steam updated EXE. now game crashes over and over again

FormerHuman

First of all, if you are raging so hard over steam, why do you keep using it after verifying your cd key? Just launch via TESV.exe in your steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim folder, you only need to use steam exactly one time, after that it's optional.

How is this optional, when I try to load the game through this file, Steam automatically loads before it. Is there a setting to stop steam from loading itself before the game?

That's the behaviour with the new .exe, yes. I'm talking about the old one, which launched just fine without steam.

edit: @above post: only fixes for windows 7 users with system protection enabled who didn't backup their old .exe.

Edited by saldu

How is this optional, when I try to load the game through this file, Steam automatically loads before it. Is there a setting to stop steam from loading itself before the game?

AFAIK, you could only do this before the update. Valve decided that you can only use your game through Steam, it seems.

See, this is why I never use Steam if I can help it.

edit: @above post: only fixes for windows 7 users with system protection enabled who didn't backup their old .exe.

Works for XP and Vista. Vista has Shadow volume copies like 7. With XP, you either have to have the original .exe on you, or find it online somewhere. You could also search through the disc if you bought it in hand and get the original launch day .exe which was patched soon after launch too.

I got the update and have had no problems with crashing at start up. The game does crash at random times during play like it was doing before. I did notice a change in dual weapons. Now both weapons are shown on your characters hip if you are dual welding unless I missed it in the past. From reading the posts here and those comments on the TESV.EXE program I think those of you who are experiencing problems with crashes are the ones using the TESV.EXE program downloaded from Skyrim Nexus to modify your memory allocation. I never used it since I tend to shy away from messing with memory allocation or programs from third parties that fix a particular game memory allocation problem. Anyways that's were I think the problem lies. I also don't think the Stream update is the upcoming patch from Skyrim developers due out after Thanksgiving. Hopefully that patch will fix a multitude of problems.

Not strictly true actually.

There was an issue that became apparent soon after the game launched that Skyrim appeared to be very crashy for people running on Windows 7 64 bit and who had more than 2Gb RAM. Which accounts for a helluva lot of us. However, if you used either the LAA programme from Nexus or CFF Explorer to make the TESV.exe use more than 2Gb RAM, the problems vanished. We didn't really have any alternative if we wanted to go on playing.

After this latest patch, the exe that you made LAA is overwritten by one that isn't. So if you then whip out CFF Explorer and make the new exe large address aware, the game doesn't start either through Steam or from the exe.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about them fixing this, according to Pete Hines' tweets he doesn't know anything about his games and the issues with RAM :facepalm:

Steam auto updated for me today, and Skyrim became almost unplayable. Constant CTD, sometimes a save would load, other times it would not. Also if I activated LAA the game would not even start, crashing with an error #51. After much searching on the forums I found this:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

This links to a 4GB LAA launcher for Skyrim. Used it and was able to get 1 hour + of game play without a single crash.

Now if someone can just fix the CTD I get when there is a dragon in the wilderness near Rifften.

Edited by msd22000