Textures not loading, looks very low res

JeremeW5257

I'm having trouble getting some textures to load into the game. I don't have a problem when I start the game, but when I walk around into new areas, the textures look very blurry/low res. Even clothing and armor have the same problem. It doesn't matter if I set textures on high, medium or low.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Curie's armor looks fine, but the bridge texture looks terrible. Some of the distant building textures look better than the ones closer up.

I already have the ENB application, and it didn't help. Saving and reloading makes the game unplayable as far as I'm concerned. I get enough reloading from random CTDs. What's strange is some textures load perfectly fine, but others look like a 5 yr old colored them. Wood planks are monotone, showing no wood grain or color variation. Brick walls are just solid slabs of gray. Rocks are just giant gray or brown colored balls. Then I'll stroll by a tree and the texture looks fine. They're doesn't seem to be a common thread. It has to be a bug in the game because I have over 100 hours invested and this is a recent problem.

I also upgraded to Windows 10 (which helped my fps a little) and updated my graphics driver.

The textures on the drifter outfit, and cow look terrible. Even the bridge railing looks bad.

It has to be a bug in the game because I have over 100 hours invested and this is a recent problem.

I agree. It was not a problem for me for a really long time, then suddenly, while playing Far Harbor, the textures became mud. The cliff rocks and Children of Atom armor pieces were nothing but a blurry mess. I don't know what the hell is happening, and I agree quitting and reloading is a nuisance. In fact, the problem creeps in after a while in the same interior cell anyway. It's a real pain.

1. Load your mods in FO4edit.

2. Right click left column and select "apply filter to show conflict loser".

3. On left column, expand mod by click on + in front of is name.

4. Seek "Cell" reference.

5. Expand "Cell" by click on + in front of it.

6. Click a one of the new open line and watch on the left window how many mod edit this cell.

7. Remove from your load order how many necessary to keep only one that edit this cell.

8. Do this for each conflict cell.

9. ATM not allowing 2 mods to edit the same cell is the only safe modding practice for fallout 4.

1. Load your mods in FO4edit.

2. Right click left column and select "apply filter to show conflict loser".

3. On left column, expand mod by click on + in front of is name.

4. Seek "Cell" reference.

5. Expand "Cell" by click on + in front of it.

6. Click a one of the new open line and watch on the left window how many mod edit this cell.

7. Remove from your load order how many necessary to keep only one that edit this cell.

8. Do this for each conflict cell.

9. ATM not allowing 2 mods to edit the same cell is the only safe modding practice for fallout 4.

This is not a solution to the original poster's problem.

I mentioned Far Harbor as an example - At the time I played it and had this problem there were no available mods for it, and the Worldspace was severely affected by this texture issue. So it is not caused by conflicts or by mod edits.

It is most likely caused by

1. Archived textures not successfully loading when leaving a cell/spending too long in a cell, or

2. The engine not rendering textures properly despite hardware capabilities, or

3. Hardware issues that inexplicably cause textures to fail to render properly at certain times and under certain circumstances.

• 1 year later...

I'm still having this same problem, even after upgrading with an entirely new rig. It's most certainly not a hardware problem for me. I have also tried the memory patch fix and everything else suggested. It doesn't apply to any specific textures or cells, and doesn't seem to be reproducible. It happens with random textures, sometimes on power armor, sometimes on walls, sometimes on the load screen models. The only fix I've found is to leave the game and restart, but at least that seems to fix the problem every time at least temporarily.

FIXED

I fixed this by increasing my memory setting in the enblocal.ini to 4096. I thought I had changed that memory setting with my new rig but apparently I hadn't.

Edited by Illtempered

2 reasons.

Heat.

MipMap issue.

Heat can cause rainbow textures and slow texture loading. MipMap is when the game bugs out and never upgrades the textures as you get close.

Lookup Fallout 4 Config tool, download, and select mipmap, and select -1 for the mipmap fix.

• 2 months later...

T

I'm still having this same problem, even after upgrading with an entirely new rig. It's most certainly not a hardware problem for me. I have also tried the memory patch fix and everything else suggested. It doesn't apply to any specific textures or cells, and doesn't seem to be reproducible. It happens with random textures, sometimes on power armor, sometimes on walls, sometimes on the load screen models. The only fix I've found is to leave the game and restart, but at least that seems to fix the problem every time at least temporarily.

FIXED

I fixed this by increasing my memory setting in the enblocal.ini to 4096. I thought I had changed that memory setting with my new rig but apparently I hadn't.

That tool causes even more problems than solutions. I guess it would run fine for people not using F4SE but come on who doesn't use F4SE?

Edited by reptileye