Archery Auto-Targetting

Narmix

I find that the alert state of the enemy keeps throwing off my results- when I was doing previous tests with only the "AutoAimMaxDegrees" lines, sometimes the arrow would sail straight past the enemy, but most times it would bias towards them. Seems to be very finnicky and annoying that way.

But the same thing appears to be happening with these settings, too, so I don't know what's up. I'd think that if this was working, it should have a 0% chance of occuring.

In response to your edit: I don't know. :( Also: lol, this discussion is a bit split between our two threads. I'll just carry on here if I discover anything.

Edited by Moogiefluff

Also, keep in mind that actor's hitboxes are basically cylindrical, head, shoulders, body, as a single shape, rather than being linked to actual geometry. Meaning that if you shoot an arrow to the side of someone's head, but still over the shoulders, it will hit the head anyway. It sticks to the head based on internal calculations of how high up on that hitbox the arrow strikes. Since it isn't tied to actual geometry, you can actually shoot an arrow through someone's arm or leg without a hit being registered depending on their animation.

Are there any other lines that look even vaguely promising? How'd you find those, anyway? TESSnip?

@Vagrant0: I'll definitely keep that in mind during my tests, but my primary concern is the way arrows 'home in' on the target, rather than a straight-flying arrow that 'snaps' onto the bounding box (I haven't seen that happen very often, tbh).

Edited by Moogiefluff

New promising results.

Ok, so after the changes I made to the ini, arrows that would have been sucked in to their arms now brush past their arms safely. Same with legs and head.

The reason I cast doubts on my results is because of moogie's conflicting results, but I figured it out. Aiming to the left or right of their head causes the arrow to get sucked in because they have hitboxes there in case they're wearing armor with pauldrons.

In otherwords, the hitboxes for their shoulders are quite large.

Take a look at this image:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8281/newbitmapimageqlx.jpg

Before the changes I made, arrows falling within the orange outline were definitely getting sucked in to the target. Now, after the changes, they seem to only collide with the proper hitboxes (green). There seems to be very large shoulder hitboxes, presumably as a catch all in case the target wears heavy plate armor with pauldrons. However, shooting anywhere that is not green causes the arrow to wizz safely past. The shoulder hitbox thing would explain why when I shot in the angles I did above (sides and over head) the arrows went by fine, but when Moogie tried it (shooting to the left and right of the head) the arrows got "sucked in".

This seems pretty consistent. Taking this into consideration, the values set to zero DO seem to help.

Are your character's stats a factor? Isn't a character with 100 points in archery supposed to hit more often than a character with 1? How does the game calculate that?

Absolutely no idea about that.

Edited by Narmix

I don't seem to have this problem I alwasys try to sneak attack assassinate some one for a darkbrotherhood quest and the arrow gos right through the head then im seen it's realy annoying.

Hmm. I'm not entirely convinced. I would accept that as being the case if I saw my arrows 'teleport' into the NPC at the moment of impact, but how does this explain their bias as they travel towards the target? Does the game pre-calculate the fact that they will hit the shoulder the moment you fire?

Oh hooray, auto aim. Yet another piece of evidence that they don't care enough about PC to do anything more than port it to us, and i guess we'll get the SDK eventually.

I didn't really notice this because my main character so far was a battlemage type, but i was about to make an assassin character. Guess not.

Edited by CNash

Hmm. I'm not entirely convinced. I would accept that as being the case if I saw my arrows 'teleport' into the NPC at the moment of impact, but how does this explain their bias as they travel towards the target? Does the game pre-calculate the fact that they will hit the shoulder the moment you fire?

AHHH! That might be the magnetismmultiplier part of the settings. I imagine, there's a percentage an arrow will be biased toward hitting a target based on your skill, and the higher you raise the multiplier in the ini, the more of an effect your skill will have in biasing the arrows to hit. I'm talking about arrows aiming themselves right at the target (not the getting "sucked in" thing).

Hmmm...

In that case it would seem that your skill is hardcoded to make arrows biased to hit targets and a couple of the lines in the ini are only there to increase how much it does. But even set to zero, your skills still apparently have a base amount that it increases the bias by.

As for the arrows being sucked in when they're close, that seems to be completely eliminated by the ini tweak in the first few lines.

Note if you google "skyrim magnetism" you get a lot of results (mostly gaming news sites talking about pre-release information) -- apparently the magnetism isn't just something we think we're seeing; it's real. It's supposed to be a feature.

I think we're on the right track. The feature is supposed to increase your chance to hit an enemy and decrease your chance to hit an ally. It would also seem to be a multiplier for how much your skill effects the auto aim. For instance, if your bow skill is 40 and increases the bias of arrows by, guessing, 40%, then this multiplier might multiply that (if set). Like 40% *magnetismmult=.4 = 40% of 40 = 16%. Or you could cheat and increase it to like 3.0. 3 x 30% = 120% bias. Just guessing. I want to play with the settings more.

I'm going to make the multiplier 10x and see if that drastically increases the magnetivity/bias of the arrows.

::edit:: Bah. Tried it with just the magnetism set to 10; nothing. Tried it then with everything set to high values, no different. Maybe it's all in my head and these really don't do anything. OR maybe they shouldn't be under actor.

I don't know but this is frustrating.

Edited by Narmix