Forced Password Resets

Dark0ne

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41115340.

TheReaper952 wrote: So just curious...

Why exactly are people trying to gain access to a nexus account? I see no benefit whatsoever. Apart from if they hack actual modders accounts like this post said. But for everyone else... Like. Hooray. You gain access to nothing.

Usually people reuse passwords, so if they have the password to one of your accounts, they can use it on all of your accounts.

In response to post #41115340. #41115615 is also a reply to the same post.

TheReaper952 wrote: So just curious...

Why exactly are people trying to gain access to a nexus account? I see no benefit whatsoever. Apart from if they hack actual modders accounts like this post said. But for everyone else... Like. Hooray. You gain access to nothing.
cpriper wrote: Usually people reuse passwords, so if they have the password to one of your accounts, they can use it on all of your accounts.

They could in theory access mods that get downloaded frequently or viewed frequently and put donation links on the page, that would earn them money. Not to mention some people are just plain meanies (I have a whole vocabulary of words I could use to describe them :P) and like screwing with things for fun.

In response to post #41055575. #41057105, #41057950, #41063575, #41065210, #41067250, #41068110, #41069375, #41078570, #41079380, #41080470, #41083830, #41086180, #41086975, #41093930, #41093955, #41111920, #41113570 are all replies on the same post.

hatsjer wrote: Well... Time to reset my password nearly everywhere I suppose.
RoyBatterian wrote: You should never use the same password on more than one site.
hatsjer wrote: I'm just a lazy man. I guess I pay for the consequences now.
trudgy wrote: for lazy people like me, you just need a password manager.
turulo wrote: I use Keepass (opensource in sourceforge) to manage all my passwords, every site has a random password with numbers, digits and symbols. That is the most secure and simple way I know to keep passwords.
Xavec_Telvanni wrote: Lol I use wordpad...
glover wrote: lol wordpad i use lastpass its been pretty good
Eolhin wrote: I use a pencil and paper. *wry chuckle* Good luck hacking that, and if someone is in my house to read it... then I have bigger problems anyway.
Shezrie wrote: Same here. I keep all my passwords on a rolodex.
ThisTimeIBeAGoodGirlSir wrote: Best place to keep your password is your head . How to create easy to remember password ?

For example, get first letter of one of your favorite songs:

"I love rock'n'roll"

Plus extra symbols:

# &

Password:

IL#R'n'R&
Trosski wrote: Lol!!! Rolodex. I haven't heard or seen that word used in like 20 years.
Sulhir wrote: I have a simple algorithm I made up when I was a teenager that changes every 5-7 months.
huskyclaw wrote: Gotta go with pencil & paper with labels that only I can understand :p
crazyocod wrote: I use the same password for everything... I just tack on a word at the end specific to each site. For instance. Password321N3xus, Password321B3thnet, Password321Gm4il. Anytime I'm told to never use the same password for other sites... I feel my conscience is clear. When life gives you lemons!... you throw those nasty assfruits back and tell it to bring you Mountain Dew n'stead.
AlienXtream wrote: i like this guy :D. i have issues remembering things so i have MOSTLY the same passwords for things (i have like 3 or 4 that i have used mostly) my bank and email however are random and stored in a secret location *cough* desktop *cough*
nexusMods3 wrote: @turulo

Kudos for suggesting keepass. I use it as well, great password manager
Arjuna32 wrote: Since I tend to keep forgetting my passwords. Be it forums, banking, my office server and whatnot, I started using Dashlane password manager to solve my problem instead of starting a brain boosting diet. And I tell ya, it works like a charm. I also use it as my digital wallet. Dashlane uses a AES-256 encryption, so I hope that system doesn't get cracked any time soon. Give it a go if you wanna.
Zwizzor wrote: I use the same base two passwords everywhere, but each has a few variations to it that I use depending on the importance of the website and the importance of having a complicated password on it. For instance mail accounts use the most complex, and when I register on random amateur sites I don't trust with my data I use the most simple one.

@Eolhin

The problem with that is when your 30 year old friends all act like 5 year olds and will change the host files to redirect everything to meatspin if they know your password. Edited by xeroax

In response to post #41092740.

bben46 wrote:

@CG123

Yeah, decrypting passwords should not be possible, if stored properly in the database. How come?

Ask Yahoo. They are the latest victim of a password stealing database hack. I hope you didn't use the same password for your bank account that you used for your Yahoo account.

BTW, the Nexus hack was THREE YEARS AGO and they are just now getting the passwords they hacked THREE YEARS AGO decrypted.

If you have changed your password anytime in the last three years you are not hacked.

But, if your old pw is still used on other sites, those might be at risk

In response to post #41092740.

bben46 wrote:

@CG123

Yeah, decrypting passwords should not be possible, if stored properly in the database. How come?

Ask Yahoo. They are the latest victim of a password stealing database hack. I hope you didn't use the same password for your bank account that you used for your Yahoo account.

BTW, the Nexus hack was THREE YEARS AGO and they are just now getting the passwords they hacked THREE YEARS AGO decrypted.

If you have changed your password anytime in the last three years you are not hacked.

But, if your old pw is still used on other sites, those might be at risk

And shame on you for using the same pw on multiple sites. :geek:

also you can post as though you are another person and troll with the account to get people in trouble as well.

In response to post #41124910.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

also you can post as though you are another person and troll with the account to get people in trouble as well.

Access to e-mail accounts, which, if you're above the age of 14, which guarantee half of the community isn't, could lead into banking information.

In response to post #41124910. #41125555 is also a reply to the same post.

qwertyzeldar wrote:

Udini wrote: Access to e-mail accounts, which, if you're above the age of 14, which guarantee half of the community isn't, could lead into banking information.

Some accounts allow donation so it could lead to people donating money to a random person