Normal Map

sm0rtb

Hi,

I just started modeling Skyrim textures and it seems I can't get my Normal Maps to be generated in correct way.

I took a Battleaxe texture file, as an experimental piece, and retextured the main .dds file, then in I used Photoshop to generate my Normal map.

However, when I launch the game my Battleaxe texture shines bright like a diamond.

I figured out if I use vanilla's normal map, the Battleaxe has a normal appearance, but If I generate the Normal Map myself -- I get that shine bright texture.

Anyone knows how to properly generate Normal Map with adobe Photoshop?

How did I generate? I simply open my main .dds texture and straight away use generate normal map function in Photoshop.

I've uploaded example piece of my main texture file.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The nice looking artowrk u have made is exciting.

The texture maps used on the skyrim for this type of asset is having a diffuse map with rgb or rgba with transparency map optional in alpha channel.

Normalmap is a tangent space normalmap that is rgba with a specular map in the alpha channel. It is dxt5 format to get interpolation on alpha channel color depth.

You are describing the alpha channel of generated normalmap is perhaps white. U want to put a specuilar map into that channel. so mostly black and having shiny parts in speckly or striated white regions.

If I'm not mistaken, specular information is still stored in the alpha channel for normal maps in Skyrim. If there isn't one, then it's like everything has all of the glossiness, which isn't good.

Edited by TrickyVein