Guys who play girl characters

theonecrisco

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a single player game who cares if you play a male or female.Now If your talking about playing and passing yourself off as a female in a MMO like Warcraft or Rift... ect ect

Then I might look at ya kina of funny.(It was easy to spot those ones they were the ones that never talked in Vent ya know, The I dont own a headset people ;D )

I do have a tendency to be mistaken for female on my female characters in MMO's, which is weird. They usually do say it's because the way I act and type. Of course, I don't pretend to be, and I say that I'm a bloke when someone ask. But oddly enough, some people still seem to feel it's some sort of sinister tranny-plot on my part...

Depends on the story I'm writing, it's roleplaying and meant to be this way. Men, women, who cares, as you're writing your stories, whether it's male or female characters. I don't see the problem of men playing female characters, reminds me of the taboo of a man wearing pink ;D

Stupid but hey, it's taboo.

This post reminds me of what happens when I play an online game, Guild Wars. As a female playing a female character, I am constantly being asked if I'm really a guy. I am challenged and told that I am really a guy just pretending to be a girl. This happens to me a lot and it's quite common.

As a girl playing a male character, I've never had that kind of questioning...nobody even really seems to care one way or the other. Nobody asked me if I were really a girl playing a guy character. Never. Nobody's ever asked. Kind of strange.

I get the impression that guys playing as female characters is somewhat a norm.

But I don't think guys playing a female is because they want to look at her body is why men play female characters. Maybe for some but not the majority. I think they play female characters for the same reason I will sometimes, not often, play a male character...change. Subtle rule changes when your sex changes. Even if the rules aren't necessarily in the game itself but in your own head.

Edited by Pineapplerum

a lot of this comes from the fact that, for years, the female gaming community was so small that it may as well be non-existant. That is of course changing more and more every day, but the idea persists. Particullarly in online gaming, then, you had guys playing females, and in some cases getting up to 'no good' pretending to be women, which has caused the community to be instantly suspicious of all female characters.

There are, of course, honest players who play females for purely asthetic reasons. I mean, lets face it, whats more High Fantasy than a chick in a chainmail bikini?

Personally, i can't play a woman. I've only ever managed to roll a female character in games where A; i have to, or B; my class choices are sex-locked (for instance, the Assassin in Diablo II). It's part of my character i suppose, but i can't be even inadvertently deceptive, even when playing a single player game.

i play both (usually male, but my archer is female) and i only ever play in first person so it's not really about what i want to look at all day. It's just about the character itself- sometimes i just feel that a specific gender better suits my character, and it seems nonsensical to only play your real gender in any game- by that logic we should all be playing humans, using no magical abilities- I don't play an RPG to play as myself.

sometimes i just feel that a specific gender better suits my character, and it seems nonsensical to only play your real gender in any game

Agreed, not to be sexist or anything but a macho warrior in my opinion seems to be best suited for male characters, but a women... women have such an advantage over men, their beauty makes them the best possible assassins and thief characters. So I play both, a story to be written with each one.

Could you explain to me a bit of whats behind your wanting to play as a female character?

I have no urge what so ever to play as a female and am kind of interested in seeing what drives people to do so...?

What I cannot understand is why this matters? I liked Geralt in the Witcher series (male) and Lara Croft in Tomb Raider series (female).

Now please do NOT take this as flame bait but rather as an honest question... let me turn your question around: why do you *not* like also playing female characters?

I have a gay male friend who always plays males in games when there is a choice... I have a lesbian friend who also always plays males when possible. My girlfriend sometimes write under a male pseudonym for laughs. I am straight and I tend to play females when there is a choice (usually but not always, depends on the genre)... probably because I like looking at them more, but frankly I have not given the 'why' very much thought really. Well I did have my female toon marry Aela, so perhaps I am a lesbian trapped in a straight man's body!!! :biggrin:

This post reminds me of what happens when I play an online game, Guild Wars. As a female playing a female character, I am constantly being asked if I'm really a guy. I am challenged and told that I am really a guy just pretending to be a girl. This happens to me a lot and it's quite common.

Hahaha, yes I can well believe that. Back when I played Age of Conan however our guild used ventrillo so we knew what genders people really were. Indeed our guild leader was a young lady who ran things with a rod of iron and played a male main and several female alts.