Guys who play girl characters

theonecrisco

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pick whatever gender best suits the character, that is the only thing that matters. My new orc, Ghorak, would work equally well as a female, but I prefer the look of a male orc for that character.

When it comes to gender they're really not that different if you think about it. A soldier will behave like a soldier, a mage like a mage and a thief like a thief. Women generally act different from men in our society, but it's made largely irrelevant when you consider the average lifestyle of a Skyrim (Or any other mainly action-driven game) character. An adventurer who spends his or her time killing people and then selling off their stuff usually have similar priorities regardless of their gender, primarily not getting horribly murdered by some unspeakable horror or filthy bandit. With that lifestyle in mind, I don't see how or why a female character would behave much differently from a male character.

In the end, we're all equal in the eyes of that big, angry dragon that's about to burn us alive.

Edited by UrgeNexus

I choose to play as a female in any game that allows it because it simply feels right to me. Don't ask me why, I don't really know. It has nothing to do with sex, if you're wondering, by the way. It might have something to do with the fact that I am just closer to my female friends than I am to my male friends. I am straight, but I'm not the "macho, football loving" guy who gets into wrestling matches with my friends. I'm not a homophobe (I actually have several gay friends. Unfortunately, they seem interested in "converting" me -.-) though. I may hate football, but if I'm at a friends house and everyone decides to play football, I have no issue with playing (I hate watching sports, I love playing them with friends.) There's just a wall of awkwardness/room between me and my guy friends.

However, when I'm with my female friends, that goes out the window. I change from the slightly distanced guy who talks too much into a bubbly person who really doesn't give a f*** about personal images. You might say that I'm a bit of a "girly" guy when I'm around my female friends. All of my close friends are girls, and that's the way it's been for years. I just trust my friends who are girls more than my guy friends, not because they are girls, but because of the fact that I can talk to (some of) them about pretty much anything. I've never really wished for a big brother (I have a younger half brother, but he lives with his dad, I don't have a father. Not a real one, that is... -.-,) but I've always wanted an older sister...

Playing a female character to me is less of a visual thing, and more of a yin and yang. I connect more with a female character than I do with a male one because it feels more complete to me. Playing as a male character both feels like it's missing something, like it's unbalanced. It's a different story when playing something like Dishonored, as it's more like you're living in someone's shoes, rather than forging your own path, hand in hand with your creation. Continuing the subject of Dishonored (no spoilers,) I connect with Corvo's love for Emily, who is like a daughter to him, and his quest for vengeance (see? No spoilers :P) The feeling of "just another male hero... yay..." or "see!? women CAN save the world!" have no part in my life, whatsoever.

Perusing through this thread (not all 69 pages of it,) I am delighted to find that my feelings are reflected in many female players, and I want to ask, do you have male best friends or siblings that you are close to, as opposed to female ones? I'm curious. :P

Being a girl I can only guess here, but I think most guys (playing in third-person mode) prefer to look at a female's backside through hundreds of hours of gameplay rather than some beefy Nord guy's rump.

exactly. Much of rpg playing is in fact basically playing with a doll.. you dress it up make it look cool and spend HOURS AND HOURS looking at it.. so for me.. I just prefer to look at the female body to a males... it is that simple.

The only problem is that you project onto the model differently (at least for me). As in the character becomes "someone else" and not "yourself". I think people that play the "correct" sex have more of a relationship that is about them being the character. While playing an opposite sex character or in some cases a monster type the game becomes more like a film where you project as a "friend" of the character. Say you watch a James Bond film.. you hear guys going "James Bond is so awesome" when playing a opposite sex character you also have that same kind of reaction..

Edited by jyujinkai

I play as a girl because i enjoy looking at them. With or without body and face mods. (I have the latter installed though)

I've played as a female in games for many years, preceding even Oblivion. I think they're better as archers, mages and overall assassins. They can pwn at close combat as well, but I'm more of a fan of magic and marksmanship, and the sneaky/stealing/lockpicking stuff.

Being a girl I can only guess here, but I think most guys (playing in third-person mode) prefer to look at a female's backside through hundreds of hours of gameplay rather than some beefy Nord guy's rump.

exactly. Much of rpg playing is in fact basically playing with a doll.. you dress it up make it look cool and spend HOURS AND HOURS looking at it.. so for me.. I just prefer to look at the female body to a males... it is that simple.

The only problem is that you project onto the model differently (at least for me). As in the character becomes "someone else" and not "yourself". I think people that play the "correct" sex have more of a relationship that is about them being the character. While playing an opposite sex character or in some cases a monster type the game becomes more like a film where you project as a "friend" of the character. Say you watch a James Bond film.. you hear guys going "James Bond is so awesome" when playing a opposite sex character you also have that same kind of reaction..

I don't think I've ever read that particular point brought up before in threads like this, but it's a good one. It's for exactly that reason that "RPG" games like The Witcher don't feel immersive to me; I enjoy playing them well enough and like the characters, but I'll never feel like the main character is me.

I don't think I've ever read that particular point brought up before in threads like this, but it's a good one. It's for exactly that reason that "RPG" games like The Witcher don't feel immersive to me; I enjoy playing them well enough and like the characters, but I'll never feel like the main character is me.

That is an interesting point.....From my own game play perspective, I play the opposite sex....am a woman playing a male Dovahkin....I have no interest in playing 'me' in games and love the awesomeness of my tough, battle hardened Warrior Man.....Though interestingly enough, my male heroes always do share one personality trait with me....I can not for the life of me play an evil character, have tried a number of times and end up hating my character and finding no joy in playing him...I guess I do connect with him on some level and so thus I need to be able to understand the motives I give him and what drives him.....I do in fact put a lot of thought into a character as I am creating him, he has an in depth back story, a defined and staunchly RP'ed personality and morality (he is a lot more brutal than I would ever be, but never a murderer, thief, etc...) and plenty of realism in game (eat, sleep, drink, etc...)...I give him reasons for being who he is as such, I guess my way of making him a real as possible, relating to him as a someone other, rather than just pixels on a screen.