Female Dragonborns?

Lehcar

ummm, women are weaker... Testosterone is higher in males... so it just makes sense for males to be predominantly more appropriate for warriors and any type of aggressive activity.

Yeah. No. Rubbish. Women are NOT "weaker". There's a LOT more involved with how someone is physically built than just hormone levels. Believe me, I've actually studied biology in depth. Plus we've got fantasy races here, like Orcs and Nords and Khajiits and Argonians, who differ considerably from "humans". And like I said, the protagonist IS NOT necessarily a warrior at all - they can just as well be a mage or a stealth rogue.

But this isn't something I want to debate and that is not what my post was about. My post was about whether or not there has ever been another female Dragonborn in TES lore because it's something I really want to know.

Edited by Lehcar

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm, women are weaker... Testosterone is higher in males... so it just makes sense for males to be predominantly more appropriate for warriors and any type of aggressive activity.

Yeah. No. Rubbish. Women are NOT "weaker". There's a LOT more involved with how someone is physically built than just hormone levels. Believe me, I've actually studied biology in depth. Plus we've got fantasy races here, like Orcs and Nords and Khajiits and Argonians, who differ considerably from "humans". And like I said, the protagonist IS NOT necessarily a warrior at all - they can just as well be a mage or a stealth rogue.

But this isn't something I want to debate and that is not what my post was about. My post was about whether or not there has ever been another female Dragonborn in TES lore because it's something I really want to know.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dovahkiin

The first recorded Dovahkiin was St. Alessia.

So not only has there been a female Dragonborn, but the very first one was female.

Edited by Corakus

Hmm, I thought she wasn't actually "Dovahkiin"? Maybe I was thinking about the Septim dudes. But then, she never had any female descendants whatsoever? That's... well... very very odd. But, cool, at least that means that a female protagonist here isn't alone <3 Edited by Lehcar

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dovahkiin

The first recorded Dovahkiin was St. Alessia.

So not only has there been a female Dragonborn, but the very first one was female.

Oh I didn't know this. Was this fact a big part of the main plot? I kinda hope it isn't but if it is oh well I guess.

No numchuck I don't think Alessia is even mentioned in the main quest.But Alessia was the first one blessed by Akatosh and therefore the first to be able to light the dragonfires which makes her the first Dragonborn. Edited by Corakus

Alright a bit off topic then back on, Historicly men have been stronger then women, hence all the wars being faught by the muscle bound meatheads. But as Lechar mentioned this is goddamned fantasy! if theres a 6 foot green man next to you reality tends to been thrown out the window!

More off topic, I think the birth rates in men is actually higher, it makes sence from an evelutionary standpoint, hunter's tend to get more mauled more often then others, and hunter's were i think almost entirly men, plus factor in all the wars we've had and the need for more male births becomes obvious to me, someone mentioned to me the posibility of plauge, etc leveling the playing field but plauges, etc kill everyone equily.

Back on topic, yea the lack of female dragonborn's is weird, theres that main one in the story and maybe you... But then again skyrims kinda vikingy by which i mean most of their stories revolve around a bunch of hyped up psyco men leveling everything from villages to dragons then singing about it while drunk of their assess forgetting to put in the theft-rape-murdering that happens to be a side point.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Septim#Kintyra_Septim

There were more female Dragonborn in the Septim line. Namely - Kintyra, Kintyra II, Morihatha, Potema (who is referenced in Skyrim), and Eloisa.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Well, in general, there are few Dragonborn mentioned. Lost records, etc. Even the Grey Beards mention that it's possible for a Dragonborn to just fade away with time, should they fail to leave an impact. Plus, for years, there were no Dragons, let alone a dragonborn - most people simply adopted the "other" meaning of Dragonborn, which were the descendants of that Emperor who had shared the blood of a Dragon, or something... Dragonborn was also used for some time as a generic term for "hero".

I think, statistically, it might be a bit more likely to have a male Dragonborn. I've seen enough people get upset over the "strong Nord women" thing in Whiterun, so I don't think it would have been very relateable for the lore or the player for the game to praise some amazing female hero. Dragonborn or not, it's not entirely realistic. The lore of TES is weird enough with Daedric Princes who are actually female, but referred to still as Princes. However, beyond the whole "men of legends" s***, men and women both are very prevalent in the armies of Skyrim. Half the Thalmor you meet are women, and the Thalmor are supposed to be one of the most powerful forces in Tamriel, at least when it comes to mortals.

Physically, woman are weaker. Women's bodies are actually built pretty well in the legs and thighs, but still, physically, our muscles don't work the way a the muscles on a man do. Our bodies produce hormones, while a man produces testosterone. It's the same for pretty much every living thing on Earth, so the excuse that "because it's fantasy," doesn't really work. An Orc woman might beat out a human, regardless of gender, but an orc man is even stronger. It's a physical thing; women were built to nurture, men to protect his resources - women, children, etc. That's how it worked at the very start of humanity, and hell, we haven't moved very far off.

My complaint about Skyrim was that, instead of actually working out "equality of women," they simply made the women more and more like men. I guess it's more of an observation than a complaint, however.

Why make such a big deal? There's no need to cry "DA GAME INDUSTRY IS SEXIST," especially not with Skyrim. There are plenty of worse, and more obvious offenders.

Edit: Stump, actually, the Y chromosome has slowly been decreasing in birth rates, which means more and more girls are being born. Some actually blame this on how dependent our diets are on foods modified with hormones. I think the current state of the population is 55.6% females? But that may be way off.

Edited by likeitsillegal