Female Dragonborns?

Lehcar

Women would not be equal in skyrim for the same reason women can't be superheros.

Women do not have the physical structure to resist a sledgehammer to the face or throw a car over their head. Only men could train to that level if it possible. Fantasy lets you play with the laws of physics but the natural law of biology is incontrovertible.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women would not be equal in skyrim for the same reason women can't be superheros.

Women do not have the physical structure to resist a sledgehammer to the face or throw a car over their head. Only men could train to that level if it possible. Fantasy lets you play with the laws of physics but the natural law of biology is incontrovertible.

Men can take sledgehammers to the face? Really?

Well, even if it were true, you can't give birth to babies...so :tongue:!

If you want to discuss the differences between men and women, create a thread in the debates area. This is a fantasy world, where the normal laws of physics do not apply.

The female Nords in the ES universe have always been aggressive and strong; like the shield-maidens in old Norse folklore.

While it is true that men have been involved in more violent acts over the course of history (i.e. war, hunting, etc) due to the way their muscles develop (more arm and leg strength), this does not mean that women are not able to do so; especially in a fantasy environment.

So, like I have said in my opening line; it is a fantasy game. Normal rules do not apply.

Lol, I was pretty certain i was seeing a fair deal of equal sex participation in skyrim hold on let me look.

Yep, lets see in one dungeon most of the forsworn were women.

That blacksmith (commonly a male job in RPGs) in .... that place can't remember it's name, well that blacksmith was a woman.

There was a female child who wanted to be a blacksmith somewhere else.

I think i've seen at least one female Jarl. I have no idea how many of them are female.

And then looking back in the lore there was a good amount of female dragonborns.

OT: the op mentioned somewhere that she/he assumed they were remarking the oblivion protagonist as a male, i don't think in any of the tomes i've read on the oblivion crisis they mentioned the hero being male, i believe they referenced the hero as, prisoner, and hero of kvatch.

Alright a bit off topic then back on, Historicly men have been stronger then women, hence all the wars being faught by the muscle bound meatheads. But as Lechar mentioned this is goddamned fantasy! if theres a 6 foot green man next to you reality tends to been thrown out the window!

More off topic, I think the birth rates in men is actually higher, it makes sence from an evelutionary standpoint, hunter's tend to get more mauled more often then others, and hunter's were i think almost entirly men, plus factor in all the wars we've had and the need for more male births becomes obvious to me, someone mentioned to me the posibility of plauge, etc leveling the playing field but plauges, etc kill everyone equily.

That is the one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. No - naturally, it's totally 50/50. The male's gamete is what determines the sex of the offspring. He produces an equal 50/50 amount of gametes, half containing an X chromosome (leading to female offspring) and the other half a Y chromosome (leading to male offspring). The balance really only gets thrown off when people purposely disrupt it, i.e sex-selective abortions.

I think, statistically, it might be a bit more likely to have a male Dragonborn. I've seen enough people get upset over the "strong Nord women" thing in Whiterun, so I don't think it would have been very relateable for the lore or the player for the game to praise some amazing female hero. Dragonborn or not, it's not entirely realistic. The lore of TES is weird enough with Daedric Princes who are actually female, but referred to still as Princes. However, beyond the whole "men of legends" s***, men and women both are very prevalent in the armies of Skyrim. Half the Thalmor you meet are women, and the Thalmor are supposed to be one of the most powerful forces in Tamriel, at least when it comes to mortals.

Physically, woman are weaker. Women's bodies are actually built pretty well in the legs and thighs, but still, physically, our muscles don't work the way a the muscles on a man do. Our bodies produce hormones, while a man produces testosterone. It's the same for pretty much every living thing on Earth, so the excuse that "because it's fantasy," doesn't really work. An Orc woman might beat out a human, regardless of gender, but an orc man is even stronger. It's a physical thing; women were built to nurture, men to protect his resources - women, children, etc. That's how it worked at the very start of humanity, and hell, we haven't moved very far off.

Edit: Stump, actually, the Y chromosome has slowly been decreasing in birth rates, which means more and more girls are being born. Some actually blame this on how dependent our diets are on foods modified with hormones. I think the current state of the population is 55.6% females? But that may be way off.

Uhh... testosterone IS a hormone. And actually, the excuse that "it's fantasy" DOES work because... it's fantasy, not reality, it's make-believe and therefore we use our imaginations. "Rules" of reality do not apply to fantasy, so human physiology doesn't have to be applied to make believe people and creatures. In this world of make believe an Orc woman can very well be as strong as a man - same with Khajiits, Argonias, the whole lot of them. But even in real life a woman could easily be as strong as any man if she has the motivation to work at it. You should meet a friend of mine - she's in the military, and she's ludicrously strong in both upper and lower body. She can bench press 300 pounds and can best almost any man in a wrestling match.

And no, that really isn't true. The Y is small, but it has not "lost" and genes at least since we diverged from chimpanzees millions of years ago.

ummm, women are weaker... Testosterone is higher in males... so it just makes sense for males to be predominantly more appropriate for warriors and any type of aggressive activity.

I would like to point out that in my ancestors culture (the celts) women were just as bad ass as the men. Their three main war deities were goddesses. There was a traditional of females teaching the men how to fight. Society was matriarchal, lineage passed through the mother. Several of the most notable celtic warriors were women - Boudicca for instance, and the Pirate Queen Grainne.

Not related to the celts, but in ancient sumeria, the death god was female... and the sun deity in japan (which is usually male elsewhere), was female.

So lets stop the women are the weaker sex nonsense.

How do the deities and beliefs of your culture prove that women are "as strong as men"? It's a fact, a physical fact that can not be disproven, and it's true for most mammals. Why does an elephant become aggressive when he enters musk? Because testosterone is being produced in excess. The same thing occurs within stags. Testosterone effects many male traits - body hair, muscle tone and growth. It also effects aggression. You know what produces the most testosterone on a living being? The testicles. On the other hand, hormones effect things like breast growth, and when a woman hits menopause, or experiences menstration, the hormone levels produced by the uterus change - altering body fat, emotions, and other physical factors.

Women don't grow the way men do, it's a fact that's been hard-wired in since our caveman days, when women would focus on breast feeding and rearing children, and men would gather, hunt, and protect what was seen as "vital resources". As such, women had no need to develop huge forms of muscles. Without a ton of testosterone, a woman STILL can't get close to what a man can get to in muscle mass. Physically, the majority of woman are weaker than men. Female bodies don' have the strength of male bodies. Throwing around that your culture revered women as beings of power is like saying we should worship certain animals such as cows and cats as being stronger than they actually are, simply because the Egyptians thought they represented an ideal, or power, or unseen force. It's culture, not actuality. Physically, a woman is weaker than a man because they don't produce even close to the amount of testosterone. Not to mention women are often smaller; hands, feet, height, etc.

He was pointing out the physical, and it's true; our science and history back it up. Women are the (physically) weaker sex.

Yeah, no, you're being extremely close minded and clearly have not studied what you are talking about in any depth. Early human women did not just sit around all day doing absolutely nothing but raising kids - they too would forage and hunt and make stone tools, etc. Do you honestly think males could have managed every little thing on their own? No, they couldn't have. In a small, isolated tribal community, each and every person has to do a share of the physical work in order to survive. In regards to physical strength, men dominate in upper body, but women completely dominate in lower body strength. Each comes with its own uses and advantages in any environment, and every individual is perfectly capable of any sort of physical activity if they take the initiative to do so. You should study anthropology; you'll really learn a lot.

It was by no means physical strength that got the human race to where we are. It's a pretty mundane thing, really: just look at orangutans... they're just an average intelligence primate like any other, even though they are many times stronger than any human being and could tear and adult man to pieces. (heck, it wasn't even our brains that got us to where we are: it was our ability to adapt to different and changing environments)

But whatever, I don't really care because this IS NOT what my post was about at ALL and I'd like for it to stop. It's a video game and I was asking a simple question about lore. Chill.

Is a lie.... women are in no way stronger than men on average for any part. It is true that for lower body the gap between male strength and women strength is less but males are still stronger in both aspects....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans#Strength.2C_power_and_muscle_mass

Two things to say.... testosterone is one of the main ingredients to initiating muscular growth after working out. That is why it is very difficult for women to bulk up instead of just tone up while for men it is much easier to bulk up and build additional muscle mass. Women who can build up either produce more testosterone than average female or they supplement with additional synthetic testosterone.

Though with regard to the dragonborn is generally irrelevant, but creating a believable world generally requires to treat things with some sense of reality. Women generally are not built to be warriors nor do they have the aggression due to much less testosterone to really desire to engage in aggressive activities.

Unrelated to the above quoted:

I also love how my past comment generated troll calling. It is really sad when the word troll became mainstream and idiots who can't use it properly call anyone they disagree with a troll.

Guest deleted3176977

This whole thread reeks of teenagers fighting over why "green lantern is just as good as superman, because..."

That kind of mythological fictional debate HAS to be it, because, in reality, we all know:

That based on an equivalent time period of human history: In what way would a woman be anything but rape meat if she was found wandering around the wilds?

Some of you people have strange ideas.

/thread