Just a Rant - Ignore this...

Cybordania

Designing videogames is a profession.

You are not entitled to just get all the industry level tools a company like Bethesda uses to make games the are earning well into the $20,000,000 figures to play around with your little hobby.

Offering the Creation Kit at all is a whole lot more generous than almost every other game company.

I would likely do more then make mods for myself only if they actually gave us the complete dev tools though.

As is the creation kit is only a small part of the total dev tools.

(frankly speaking I really hope they go with the unreal engine for the next game. Its much easier to program, produces better graphics & physics, is more intuitive & has several databases for learning it scattered around the net.

Oh also did I mention its free)

The "complete dev tools" for a game like Fallout 4 cost well over a thousand dollars. And that's with student licensing. So no one is just going to give you those tools for free.

Hence why I hope they move to a better engine like the unreal engine for the next game.

Its much easier to program (very easy to learn), free to use, has better graphics & physics and the complete dev tools are also free.

If they truly want to be the company that creates games and supports modding it would make perfect sense as well. The current engine is a cluster f%^& no matter how many coats of new paint they slap on it and a newer more user & programmer friendly engine like Unreal would make creating their games faster as well as encourage more mods with a great deal more depth.

I would likely do more then make mods for myself only if they actually gave us the complete dev tools though.

(frankly speaking I really hope they go with the unreal engine for the next game. Its much easier to program, produces better graphics & physics, is more intuitive & has several databases for learning it scattered around the net.

The "complete dev tools" for a game like Fallout 4 cost well over a thousand dollars. And that's with student licensing. So no one is just going to give you those tools for free.

Â

Hence why I hope they move to a better engine like the unreal engine for the next game.

Its much easier to program (very easy to learn), free to use, has better graphics & physics and the complete dev tools are also free.

If they truly want to be the company that creates games and supports modding it would make perfect sense as well. The current engine is a cluster f%^& no matter how many coats of new paint they slap on it and a newer more user & programmer friendly engine like Unreal would make creating their games faster as well as encourage more mods with a great deal more depth.

You seem to be making the assumption that Unity / Unreal / Source are all you need to make games or mods. I hate to break it to you, but they aren't. You need programs like Photoshop, Zbrush, and Maya, to name a few, before you can really develop games such as Fallout 4. Right now mod authors get by using Blender and GIMP and export tools. Bethesda switching to another game engine won't change any of that and they still won't be releasing the "complete dev tools". Edited by Reneer

What's the effing point of giving us the Creation Kit with no manual to learn the damn thing?

The point? The point is they share their tools with us so we can knock ourselves out adding pretty much whatever we can imagine into the game.

I don't want to read Skyrim files to figure out a Fallout 4 game. I don't want to go thru 20 or more mod sites to "learn" how to mod. I don't want to spend days ripping apart the files to learn from scratch. And that CK website, are you kidding me?

So don't? No one is trying to force you to become a mod author. Realistically the devs couldn't possibly cover everything we can think of to do. The wiki covers most of the basics and the game demonstrates those things in action. With that info, some creativity and a lot of determination you can build a tremendous number of modifications for the game.

Â

You seem to be making the assumption that Unity / Unreal / Source are all you need to make games or mods. I hate to break it to you, but they aren't. You need programs like Photoshop, Zbrush, and Maya, to name a few, before you can really develop games such as Fallout 4. Right now mod authors get by using Blender and GIMP and export tools. Bethesda switching to another game engine won't change any of that and they still won't be releasing the "complete dev tools".

I know of a few professional game designers that use Blender and GIMP, without ever touching Maya(as just one example)...some of them even suggest using the free versions of popular programs like Photoshop instead of spending a fortune on the real thing...the only difference being it's an older version of the software. Yes, you need more than just the game engine to make a mod or even a game for that matter, but without an easy to use full version of the game engine you're still ham strung...which I think is the point that some of the people are trying to make in suggesting they switch to something like Unreal(which we know they won't, because they're going to design their own brand new engine from the ground up, which is a waste of time, but it's their money "ultimately our money").

I know of a few professional game designers that use Blender and GIMP, without ever touching Maya(as just one example)...some of them even suggest using the free versions of popular programs like Photoshop instead of spending a fortune on the real thing...the only difference being it's an older version of the software. Yes, you need more than just the game engine to make a mod or even a game for that matter, but without an easy to use full version of the game engine you're still ham strung...which I think is the point that some of the people are trying to make in suggesting they switch to something like Unreal(which we know they won't, because they're going to design their own brand new engine from the ground up, which is a waste of time, but it's their money "ultimately our money").

A waste of time to design their own engine specific to their own needs and requirements. Cool story.

Â

You seem to be making the assumption that Unity / Unreal / Source are all you need to make games or mods. I hate to break it to you, but they aren't. You need programs like Photoshop, Zbrush, and Maya, to name a few, before you can really develop games such as Fallout 4. Right now mod authors get by using Blender and GIMP and export tools. Bethesda switching to another game engine won't change any of that and they still won't be releasing the "complete dev tools".

Oh I know they require more.

But the amount of things that unreal can do that creation doesn't is just amazing. Not to mention how easy & fast it makes scripting and collision.

Time saved alone would be huge.

Watch some of the stuff DD productions showed when he first started messing around with it if you want to see/learn about more stuff it helps with.