Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #41272325. #41274465, #41275065, #41275135, #41275585, #41276745, #41277095, #41278320, #41278875, #41281935, #41282870, #41282905, #41301515, #41302665 are all replies on the same post.

J Allin wrote: If it aint broke, don't fix it... ;)
pedantic wrote: Sage advice :)
sonogu wrote: Which must have been told more than a year ago, before the hundreds of hours hard work :)
HadToRegister wrote:

sonogu
Which must have been told more than a year ago, before the hundreds of hours hard work

This is the first I've heard about it?
sonogu wrote: http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12539/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12620/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12630/?

These are the news I found about the redesing of the site... It's been a while and have been announced in every step.
piotrmil wrote: That is very, very true. I do hope that the authors will give us options instead of shoving the new design down our throats.
michaelspicer16 wrote: Agreed
graymaybe wrote: Compared to what it could be, it's pretty broke tho.
Thallassa wrote: Luckily nexus was pretty broke. I'm looking forward to the fix.
HadToRegister wrote:

sonogu
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12539/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12620/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/news/12630/?

These are the news I found about the redesing of the site... It's been a while and have been announced in every step.

I missed all of those, I was busy doing clinicals at a hospital all that time
janishewski wrote: Advice for the weak. Everything is broken because nothing is perfect, therefore everything can always be improved. This look far superior to the old site design.
janishewski wrote: Terrible advice that applies only to the timid and those that achieve nothing.
pedantic wrote: Nothing to do with being timid, weak, or an under achiever. Neither is it how it "looks" that's important to me (The same can be said for a good game). It's how it functions for everyone which should be a sites' primary concern. Fix what's broken by all means, adopt new technology by all means. But it seems to me, in this day and age, that actions are taken simply because they can be taken and for no other practical reason. So, instead of fixing what's broken a little at a time, we're plunged into months of constant change while the little necessary changes are incorporated into a premature overhaul to make the Nexus look like every other site. I love the Nexus because it isn't like every other site. The new "random" mod idea smacks of PSN and the rest looks just like, as others have said, (ugh..) Bethesda. The download shortcut might cause issues, too, for mod makers. It's a great idea but poorly thought through imho. However, if the shortcut were to take folk to the mod description page, similar to the current preview, then maybe the install instructions, requirements, and README.TXT (which so many don't) would be adhered to more often, leaving our brilliant mod makers to do what they do best. I can see the benefit of the shortcut if, for whatever reason, I'm re-downloading a mod. Hey, there's an idea: The shortcut only goes live if you've previously downloaded said mod - the same way you're not able to endorse a mod prior to download. Me? I love change but not simply for the sake of it.
EnaiSiaion wrote:
Terrible advice that applies only to the timid and those that achieve nothing.
So how's Windows 10 treating you?

People where I work use this philosophy all the time. Also known as "Don't reinvent the wheel". It's fun to watch them struggle along with square wheels all day while I zoom right past them.

EDIT: Oh and Nexus, please fix your emoticons. I mean... who wrote the parsing algorithm that thinks my capital D was meant to be a smiley face? Edited by sevencardz

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41316780.

SamusKnight2K wrote: I like it except for the ability to just download the mod without visiting the mod page. Hopefully this is a feature you can allow the mod author to toggle on or off. The biggest problem currently with a lot of mod users is they download without reading the mod page. Then they complain to the mod author that it broke their game or a certain feature doesn't work. This is because a mod may require very specific instructions the user completely ignored because they saw the screenshots or read the name and immediately downloaded. You also get users who ask questions about how a mod works or its features that could be easily figured out by reading the description or included documentation.

By allowing a mod user to directly download thus bypassing the entire mod page it just reinforces this behavior.

So much this. RTFM is so important while modding. How many "hulp PLZZZ" (or whatever you say) posts could be avoided, if someone just reads to the end of a description.

Bypass is a terrible idea. TERRIBLE.

For crying out loud... READ THE MOD DESCRIPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by aglorius

I like it. It cleans up the look, and interface. I really like the plus button with the drop down menu.

It does sport the tile look, which seems to be popular for new site overhauls recently. But that look also tends to look a bit 'console' or 'mobile'. I like it though. Good work, keep it up.

In response to post #41286925. #41289200, #41299935, #41302745 are all replies on the same post.

opusGlass wrote: Looks great -- one feature I'd love to see is an extra sorting option for "Endorsements per Download." Would help when looking for mods that are somewhat obscure but still high quality. Keep up the good work!
theolaa wrote: Yeah, endorsements:downloads would be a good indicator of quality instead of popularity.
opusGlass wrote: Never seems to pick up momentum though! :/
EnaiSiaion wrote: Actually, endorsements/download is a good indicator until you get to the top lists, where the unwashed masses just download whatever is the "most popular" and therefore the endorsement rate plummets.

Precisely -- if it's at the top, we already have a good way to find it. I'd like a complimentary search, that allows us to find high quality mods, that are -not- at the top.

In response to post #41286925. #41289200, #41299935, #41302745, #41320760 are all replies on the same post.

opusGlass wrote: Looks great -- one feature I'd love to see is an extra sorting option for "Endorsements per Download." Would help when looking for mods that are somewhat obscure but still high quality. Keep up the good work!
theolaa wrote: Yeah, endorsements:downloads would be a good indicator of quality instead of popularity.
opusGlass wrote: Never seems to pick up momentum though! :/
EnaiSiaion wrote: Actually, endorsements/download is a good indicator until you get to the top lists, where the unwashed masses just download whatever is the "most popular" and therefore the endorsement rate plummets.
opusGlass wrote: Precisely -- if it's at the top, we already have a good way to find it. I'd like a complimentary search, that allows us to find high quality mods, that are -not- at the top.

Then the best use for such a feature would be for is: sort by 'endorsement per download' within 'timeframe'. When I look to do a mod overhaul I always check first for the best/most popular downloads that are newest first - then best of all time - then somewhat less popular but specific to my use case.

In response to post #41316780. #41318880 is also a reply to the same post.

SamusKnight2K wrote: I like it except for the ability to just download the mod without visiting the mod page. Hopefully this is a feature you can allow the mod author to toggle on or off. The biggest problem currently with a lot of mod users is they download without reading the mod page. Then they complain to the mod author that it broke their game or a certain feature doesn't work. This is because a mod may require very specific instructions the user completely ignored because they saw the screenshots or read the name and immediately downloaded. You also get users who ask questions about how a mod works or its features that could be easily figured out by reading the description or included documentation.

By allowing a mod user to directly download thus bypassing the entire mod page it just reinforces this behavior.
aglorius wrote: So much this. RTFM is so important while modding. How many "hulp PLZZZ" (or whatever you say) posts could be avoided, if someone just reads to the end of a description.

Bypass is a terrible idea. TERRIBLE.

For crying out loud... READ THE MOD DESCRIPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should add a feature is like in all those EULAs that make you scroll to the bottom of the agreement before continuing. So like one for the description page the first time a before a user downloads (sounds feasible since the nexus tracks all downloads on your account). I know most people won't read those and just scroll, but they'd have even less excuse if they had to scroll past big text of 'FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR YOU GAME WILL CRASH' that is so popular in the descriptions these days.

I look forward to seeing what happens to the mod pages, not because I found them lacking though. I consider this site to be one of the best in terms of pure specified functionality. When it comes to mods, this is the one where everything has its right place and everything is in its right place.

(Please eventually do something about the mismatch between the mod comments section and the associated threads on the forum. It's so jarring trying to read the same thread on one and then the other, while trying to follow the discussion.)

I'm very happy to see that certain aspects of the site are being improved, but I have to be honest and say I do not like the tile lay out with the mod files. It reminds me a whole lot of Bethesda's mod page first off with the giant tiles and I'm just not a fan of that style. I really just prefer the tiles how they are now. Small and simple. And having the descriptions there, when people should be going to the page directly anyway, just feels like an unnecessary use of space. Titles have always felt descriptive enough for me personally. I will always support nexus either way, although I sure will miss the old layout. Edited by Gabet347