ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41283525. #41286570 is also a reply to the same post.

TiraBlue wrote: Not really crazy about Windows Tile layout. So Sad.
amazon333 wrote: Agree.

Totally agree. Or a Pinterest clone. Why does every site out there think they need to be a freaking Windows 8 / Pinterest clone. Show some originality folks! And does anybody actually take in to account how much harder it is to actually separate out anything when it is just a crammed page of images? This whole trend needs to go away.

In response to post #41274660.

HadToRegister wrote: OK, I REALLY like the News article layout, very easy to read.
I also really like the "Favorites"

Is it safe to assume if you pick a game, say Fallout 3, that the tab/tile layout will then only show random and top files for Fallout 3?
Also, will they be able to be sorted by name/number of downlaods/last updated etc?

Because honestly, I have a very hard time finding anything on a tiled page.
When I use Amazon or Newegg, I always set the page from Tiled to LIST, because I can manipulate the list to give me the results I want in the order I want.

Tiles always seem to be a mishmosh and as I said, I find it difficult to find anything because the text in each tile is so far apart from the text in the other tiles around it.

It's much easier to read

Mod title 1
Mod title 2
Mod title 3
Mod title 4

for me than

Mod title 1....................Mod title 2....................Mod title 3

Mod title 4....................Mod title 5....................Mod title 6

Much more efficient and much less eye movement involved in reading a list, than a bunch of spread out tiles across and down the entire page.

I totally agree. The proposed design will probably mean I stop adding mods to games I play. The whole tiled interface thing is just a pain in the behind to deal with. It seems that whoever designed this was thinking more of being "trendy" than usability.

I like it except for the ability to just download the mod without visiting the mod page. Hopefully this is a feature you can allow the mod author to toggle on or off. The biggest problem currently with a lot of mod users is they download without reading the mod page. Then they complain to the mod author that it broke their game or a certain feature doesn't work. This is because a mod may require very specific instructions the user completely ignored because they saw the screenshots or read the name and immediately downloaded. You also get users who ask questions about how a mod works or its features that could be easily figured out by reading the description or included documentation.

By allowing a mod user to directly download thus bypassing the entire mod page it just reinforces this behavior.

Edited by SamusKnight2K

In response to post #41283525. #41286570, #41313880 are all replies on the same post.

TiraBlue wrote: Not really crazy about Windows Tile layout. So Sad.
amazon333 wrote: Agree.
epoling wrote: Totally agree. Or a Pinterest clone. Why does every site out there think they need to be a freaking Windows 8 / Pinterest clone. Show some originality folks! And does anybody actually take in to account how much harder it is to actually separate out anything when it is just a crammed page of images? This whole trend needs to go away.

You should go and tell that to Bethesda and the crap they did to Fallout 4. Fallout series is now just another Far Cry/Mass Effect meaningless game. No more originality.

But to get back on topic, I'm surprised people still think "if it's not broken, don't fix it" even still applies in this world anymore. It's very rare that a company will actually listen to their fans. So either you are on that bandwagon, or you are excluding yourself. Either way it doesn't matter. Someone will just go off and tell you, "if you don't like it, go make your own mod website". Because if you don't agree, you are a hater or a troll.

Welcome to the internet.

One thing I would definitely like is a proper non-news article section. By this I mean, the kind of articles you can add to a mod. There are a lot of good ones about modding in general, but they can be hard to find because there is no good way to search for them (that I can find, at least).

I don't really get why people complain about the proposed tile layout. The current Browse files section of the site is exactly that, but in a really bad and out-dated version, where almost one third of the screen's witdh is occupied by mod tiles, and the rest is search bar (which would be way better on top of the page) and the background image...both of which take up almost 2/3s... two damn thirds of useless space, that could be used to showcase this site's exact purpose: mods. So the new layout is really perfect!! you get to see bigger preview images to get a really quick idea about what's what... and it looks a lot more tidy which I always prefer.

On the flip side, I also don't agree with the quick download feature... I get it, faster access to great content and what not, but if you think about it, yeah, you remove one (crucial) step... but if the mod doesn't work because it had special requirements or installation processes, you're just adding OTHER tedious and unnecessary steps that could have been easily avoided. Of course, allowing authors to activate it optionally if the mods are simple and don't require extra attention would be good I guess. I would never use that feature but I can definitely see how other people would.

Quite a lot of vitriol regarding the panel layout. What exactly is the problem with it? It solves the issue mentioned of being touch device friendly. Maybe have the ability to switch between that and something similar to current where small blocks of text can be read. Or have the text boxes underneath. It also does help the site look cleaner and more modern.

That being said I rarely look at the site in overview mode, so I am looking forward to what game specefic pages will look like