Travelling Prisoners

Thalassicus

I've noticed that if you're on the road and meet up with a travelling prisoner & guards, if you free him, the prisoner reports a 1040 gold bounty on your head. Lately I've been fixing this bug each time with player.setcrimegold, but is there a more permanent solution available? Edited by Thalassicus

You got the bounty because the guards themselves are witnesses.

To their credit, the developers added the mechanics of witnesses being needs for a crime to put a bounty on you. So when you free a prisoner, the guards for that prisoner are the witnesses. As above posted, if you kill the guards first and leave no witnesses, you get no bounty. You can also delete a fresh bounty if you kill off all of the witnesses quickly enough. While this may work on a remote farm, don't expect it to work inside a major city.

I like this mechanic, too - it makes the Dark Brotherhood stuff really feel more authentic.

although sometimes its so werid the other day i was just outside of whiterun stable getting ready for a lil horse ride

out of no where a guard came up and wanted to arrest me

so i had to lure him into the stable and kill everyone inside to get ride of the evidence

it sucks in major city cause there is always people you can't kill off so you are going to be stuck with bounty

Hmm, that explains how I got a bounty....I was wondering how the heck that had happened. I have freed a few prisoners from the Imperial lackies and I thought I had killed every guard each time. Or is it the prisoner perhaps? 1 prisoner actually ran in a different direction and I was unable to catch him and talk to him....so perhaps he reported me?

• 3 weeks later...