can you convert oblivion to skyrim?

Uerba

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id like to know too.

... when modtools come out it should be rather easy.

both games use the same types of files... .dds (textures) and .nif (models)

so it should be simple... not sure about animations being correct for all swords and stuff....

i imagine there wouldve been a ton of morrowind -> oblivion mods.... but the graphics were so much different...

but hell yes we had oblivion woot!

i wanna dl and transfer sooo many weapons and armors into skyrim lvl lists...

Converting files directly from game A to game B is against the law, and might get you sued.

Making the models from scratch is, in theory legal, but might also get you problems.

Don't really know, but i can for example port meshes, scripts, textures etc from fallout new vegas to fallout 3 (or the other way around)

And seeing how every bethesda game ~2006 uses more or less the same base engine so meshes and textures are in the same format, whilst animations, scripts and such should work aswell

And seeing how every bethesda game ~2006 uses more or less the same base engine so meshes and textures are in the same format, whilst animations, scripts and such should work aswell

Against the law. You are not allowed to copy something from game A to game B. And I do not mean "law" as in "boring rule": It is against the LAW, as in sued, costy stuff.

I think what the OP is asking, is if it is possible to send mods from Oblivion to Skyrim.

Playermade mods are, of course, simple to port over. The game engine is only modified, so we can guess the scripting is the same. Thus it's just about to alter small parts. The custom made models are the same no matter that.

so we can guess the scripting is the same.

smkviper said he rewrote the script language. though it is probably going to be similar, he said that he was inspired by unreal script. so a kinda C++. so different but not all that much different. Just a rewrite of any scripts would be needed.

Of course it would be illegal to upload files from Oblivion, but would it be all right to have a program to convert them to Skyrim?

Against the law. You are not allowed to copy something from game A to game B. And I do not mean "law" as in "boring rule": It is against the LAW, as in sued, costy stuff.

This sort of thing is actually a legal grey area. EULAs may or may not be legally binding. It hasn't been tested in court yet.

Edited by Tyrannus007