can you convert oblivion to skyrim?

Uerba

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what the OP is asking, is if it is possible to send mods from Oblivion to Skyrim.

Which in this case, yes. It should be simple with the knowledge of how to rig models and use CK once it is released.

You'd get banned instantly and permanently for converting anything from one game to another, and converting mods without the confirmable written permission of the original creator I do believe is an instaban aswell, not to mention highly amoral.

Meh, I don't get it. Why would anyone ever want to convert any oblivion or morrowind original content to Skyrim?

Practically everything in these two games has been re-done and massively improved by modders. If you're going to convert anything, convert the meshes, textures and stuff made by modders. It's much higher quality and is likely to fit in better with Skyrim's level of detail, and since it's original content made by modders, it's their permission you need to ask, not Bethesda's - and the guys in the modding community usually keep their lawyers on leash too.

OTOH conversion won't be *that* straightforward, you've got some Skyrim quirks like object space normal maps to deal with, and it gets harder when you get into armor, bodies or hairs.

Generally, copyright is enforced as a civil matter, though some jurisdictions do apply criminal sanctions. Most jurisdictions recognize copyright limitations, allowing "fair" exceptions to the creator's exclusivity of copyright, and giving users certain rights. The development of digital media and computer network technologies have prompted reinterpretation of these exceptions, introduced new difficulties in enforcing copyright, and inspired additional challenges to copyright law's philosophic basis. Simultaneously, businesses with great economic dependence upon copyright have advocated the extension and expansion of their copy rights, and sought additional legal and technological enforcement. - Wiki

Oh gosh, I'm being a bit particular, ignore if it bothers you. At least in this country it might be considered copyright infringement, which is a civil matter [they can sue you] but it is not seen as 'illegal'. It could be argued you are plagiarizing if there's no perceived loss of income [they allow mods openly so..] or profit made by the maker, and if credit is given there might be reasonable to think it's not even that, with a decent lawyer as the perceived 'fair use' makes allowances for.

Having added that clarification, I fully support the previous messages, don't do use any files from other games, these mod sites want to be in good favor with the companies making the games and they will ban you in a millisecond :) Obviously converting someone else's mods with permission is the way to go, there's a zillion out there.

well i think it just matter of personal porting and of course for personal use only which i think its alright ..BUT if you want to port content that come from different game take it from oblivion into skyrim and share into modding community or maybe freely on other site the answer is yes you'll get some trouble coz is stricly against EULA so DONT DO IT.

back to topic, yes they can be port into skyrim, its just matter of time i guess..

Isnt that what the dudes from requiem did for NV. You needed to own Fallout 3 in order for it to work they just made it so you could go back and forth and made the assets from NV and FO3 work with each other, sort of like the same thing it would be with Skyrim if it required you to own the original game I don't think it'd be breaking any laws.

IIRC they didnt import any content from FO3 they just made it so NV and FO3 would work seamlessly with each other. IE use the ammunition types in NV with FO3 ,workbenches, power ups etc.

Edited by glassoid

Isnt that what the dudes from requiem did for NV. You needed to own Fallout 3 in order for it to work they just made it so you could go back and forth and made the assets from NV and FO3 work with each other, sort of like the same thing it would be with Skyrim if it required you to own the original game I don't think it'd be breaking any laws.

IIRC they didnt import any content from FO3 they just made it so NV and FO3 would work seamlessly with each other. IE use the ammunition types in NV with FO3 ,workbenches, power ups etc.

Yes, that is indeed what they did..

But (there's always one of these everywhere), the differences between the FO3 and NV engines were relatively tiny and enabling the content from FO3 in NV was due completely because the differences were very small.

However, with Skyrim, there are huge changes and some mechanics have been completely changed from Oblivion/FO3/NV, the Creation Engine got a complete rewrite. Sure, on the surface, things seem very similar, but thats just on the surface and done that way for ease of use. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say with 95% certainty that doing something like Requiem for a Capitol Waste Land is not going to be possible for Oblivion > Skyrim without have of it being horribly broken and the other half being buggy as hell. This is, of course, just my educated opinion.

How to?

Ask the original author to do it. If it is not your mod, you will break copyright law if you port it without his/her permission.

Otherwise, it all depends on what mods. Some would need the CK, which is not out yet, and some would be doable with the tools we got now.

Once the kit is out, you should be able to alter values of existing weapons to mimic what you had in Oblivion. Textures should be able to be altered as well to mimic what you had before depending on how good you are with an editor like Gimp. As far as legality goes, do whatever you want on your own system and no one would ever know. It costs a TON of money to get Lawyers involved. Even if something was posted in mod section, assuming it violated some rules, you'd get a warning or the hosting site would be warned to remove it. People trying to scare you with the law don't realize that Bethesda would bankrupt itself if it went after every single snafu. Obviously trying to make a profit would be an exception to the rule as that would probably get quick attention. But after all, they release a kit to mod with, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are creative. EXAMPLE: Say there was a dagger you liked in Oblivion. I'd open it's image in Gimp. Then I'd find a dagger from Skyrim that was similar (or even a basic steel dagger) then copy sections from your favorite OVER the steel dagger, blending it to appear natural. This is just a cheap example (gets you by).

The thing is you seem to be seeing bethesda as this evil company who will sue anyone and everyone for minor things, in reality if a mod came out that was just importing a weapon or armour from oblivion to skyrim, it would make no feasible sense to take the modder to court, it would take time and money which just wouldnt be worth it for the little they would recive not just that but it would be poor for the company 'fan friendly' image, what they would do most likely is just take the mod down.