can you convert oblivion to skyrim?

Uerba

To clarify, converting vanilla assets from one game to another is not legal.

That's really not true. Packaging up and distributing assets from a game is a copyright violation. But creating a mod for one game, that uses assets from another game installed on your PC, is not "illegal". It may be a EULA violation, but that is hardly the same thing.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything created by a CK, or released to the community as a module/modification aka mod for use with a bethesda game is inherently bethesda's property. It says so in each of the EULAs. And has it held up, because bethesda ran into sticky legaleeze about nude patches. Therefore, i suggest that you cannot copyright infringe on bethesda's property by simply moving pieces parts from one game to the other. As far as releasing models/meshes/arts/sounds/etc. from one copyrighted game on a publicly accessible forum, well that's the tricky part. However we have prescident, many mods from morrowind, oblivion, i would assume the Fallouts, and even already some from Skyrim contain art from the in game source, released publicaly. Example: the patch for the Blade who wont talk. The patch is simply the BSA extraction of his bethesda created voice files, packaged and released free thru public forums. More to the point, prescidence leads civil action, if they have not sued creators of mods before, starting now would be against prescident, and most courts would not allow a suit to go thru. THAT SAID, there is a big BUT... as i said before, bethesda has the property rights to every mod. they can pull any mod from anywhere, at anytime, for any reason, and that WILL hold up in court. A simple letter of injunction to the mod creator, and the mod distributers, would effectively shut down the mod, failure on any party's part to do so, would lead not only to civil action, but criminal prosecution. LOL, that's my 2 cents...

To clarify, converting vanilla assets from one game to another is not legal.

That's really not true. Packaging up and distributing assets from a game is a copyright violation. But creating a mod for one game, that uses assets from another game installed on your PC, is not "illegal". It may be a EULA violation, but that is hardly the same thing.

It is to my understanding In the UK it would probably break copyright law straight out as you do not have the right to make any digital back ups, at all ever. In the US it maybe as well because you are only allowed to make digital copies for the purposes of backing up. If argued in court that you are not backing up by that act, then it maybe copyright infringement, however no one actually knows if that is the case, anyone find out in court yet?

anyone find out in court yet?

Anybody actually been in the court for this kind of things, and if so, tried to use this?

I guess in theory it would work, however: I doubt it would. THe lawyers probably got a million other things to back up their statement, while all we'd have would be "but, but, but,but I was just backing up my files!".

If anybody ever get to that point, let us know how that would go ;)

If someone is willing to jump off the cliff with me, than I would want to make a Oblivorim mod. I have never made a mod before, but do have some experience in C++ and C#. at some point It would be nice to have a modpack that imports all of the main TES games into the most current one.

Would it be illegal to just decompile the code of the earlier games and rework it into a skyrim mod?

Arena and daggerfall are all but public domain now. would it be illegal to recode them and update the graphics and import them into skyrim? I had a thread somewhere around here sugesting just that, can't find it now, it must have gotten removed. I would be willing to lind my meager skills in C# and C++ to anyone attempting this.

Would it be illegal to just decompile the code of the earlier games and rework it into a skyrim mod?

Taking any content from Game A to game B is against the EULA. Setting it out on the nexus is also against the copyright law, so it is illegal. It's like you take a picture from google: Even how much you edit it, it is illegal to set out unless you've asked for permission.

The way to make a mix of Oblivion/Morrowind/SKyrim/The moon, would be to model everything from scratch. Now that is year of work for about 15 modellers right there.

You could use assets (sounds, textures, meshes, etc) already in Skyrim to recreate large parts of Oblivion. This would be a huge project, but it would also be the safest in terms of copyright, etc... Edited by xaliqen

You could use assets (sounds, textures, meshes, etc) already in Skyrim to recreate large parts of Oblivion. This would be a huge project, but it would also be the safest in terms of copyright, etc...

Remember, Skyrim is 200 year after the Crisis. I doubt most of us got any clear picture on how it would look.

Besides, most of the models are slighty, eh, "cold" to be used down there.

But of course, it is a way to do it. Another is to model it from scratch, using the oblivion models as a guideline/reference.

You could use assets (sounds, textures, meshes, etc) already in Skyrim to recreate large parts of Oblivion. This would be a huge project, but it would also be the safest in terms of copyright, etc...

Remember, Skyrim is 200 year after the Crisis. I doubt most of us got any clear picture on how it would look.

Besides, most of the models are slighty, eh, "cold" to be used down there.

But of course, it is a way to do it. Another is to model it from scratch, using the oblivion models as a guideline/reference.

the older games(arena and daggerfall) are completely 16 bit dos based and to do anything, they would have to be completely re-coded, and since they were dos based, their graphics are horible by modern comparison, so the graphics would have to be redone completely. But couldn't one use the original source to write new code? once we have all of tamreal (from arena) couldn't we just script the quests in?

But couldn't one use the original source to write new code?

As far as I know, it is against the EULA. Meaning Bethesda wouldn't be glad.

However, I am not sure if that counts for Arena. Consider the game is so old.

I don't know to be perfectly onest. I do know that porting anything fro Morrowind ot SKyrim, would result in a nice mail from Bethesda, and maybe you'd get sued in the end. Which is costy.