Join us on Discord

Dark0ne

In response to post #41567245.

VanScythe wrote: So, once the Mod Author section gets sorted out, do we need to apply for it or something, or will we just get added to it automatically?

Also, what are the requirements for having access to this section once it is fully implemented?

If it will work anything like twitch, being logged in both here and there with the same name, and connecting your nexus account to the Discord would grant you automatic access, Of course, once setup.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read their privacy policy and it basically says that they record and keep all information you provide.

They do make a special case for children under 13 ... well kind of:

"We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not submit any personal information through the Services or access or use the Services in any way. We encourage parents and legal guardians to monitor their children’s Internet usage and to instruct their children never to provide personal information on the Services without their permission."

But there is no opportunity to add your age anywhere.

Discord Privacy Policy: https://discordapp.com/privacy

Right...? So? The information they "log" is the information you provide; username, email address, pw. That's it, unless you CHOOSE to provide more. And that's the exact same information the Nexus (and basically every single website that has a log-in) collects and stores. The admonition to parents is precisely because they DON'T want responsibility for what kids may do on-line. They don't ASK for PII, but that doesn't mean some 12 y-o won't provide it somewhere. Which is where the need for parental guidance comes in.

Beyond that, they probably "log" usage (stats on time, times-of-day, location-via-IP used, browser used, etc.) in order to manage the service. ("Wow! We need a lot more bandwidth in SW Asia!", or "We should optimize our site for Edge, since a huge number of new users are trying to connect with that browser.") I know the Nexus does, like almost every other site on the internet. :wink:

The last bit of "logging" is, of course, the conversations themselves! Not much point in the service if it didn't keep and display those on-demand. Can't do that unless they "capture and store" what's typed/spoken. :rolleyes:

In response to post #41576315.

Thandal wrote:

I've just read their privacy policy and it basically says that they record and keep all information you provide.
They do make a special case for children under 13 ... well kind of:

"We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not submit any personal information through the Services or access or use the Services in any way. We encourage parents and legal guardians to monitor their children’s Internet usage and to instruct their children never to provide personal information on the Services without their permission."

But there is no opportunity to add your age anywhere.

Discord Privacy Policy: https://discordapp.com/privacy

Right...? So? The information they "log" is the information you provide; username, email address, pw. That's it, unless you CHOOSE to provide more. And that's the exact same information the Nexus (and basically every single website that has a log-in) collects and stores. The admonition to parents is precisely because they DON'T want responsibility for what kids may do on-line. They don't ASK for PII, but that doesn't mean some 12 y-o won't provide it somewhere. Which is where the need for parental guidance comes in.

Beyond that, they probably "log" usage (stats on time, times-of-day, location-via-IP used, browser used, etc.) in order to manage the service. ("Wow! We need a lot more bandwidth in SW Asia!", or "We should optimize our site for Edge, since a huge number of new users are trying to connect with that browser.") I know the Nexus does, like almost every other site on the internet. :wink:

The last bit of "logging" is, of course, the conversations themselves! Not much point in the service if it didn't keep and display those on-demand. Can't do that unless they "capture and store" what's typed/spoken. :rolleyes:

Meh, people that complain about being "logged and supervised" are usually the same sharing their whole family album pic somewhere.

In response to post #41554410. #41555155, #41555405, #41556010, #41556150, #41560285, #41560470, #41560740 are all replies on the same post.

rpacetoday wrote: :/ dunno about this.....I hate change and I really hate change when it involves a basic function on a site I love

edit: guess my chatting days are over....do not like this at all....really sad.........guess Nexus is just a dl site for me now......no more community like it was
BlindJudge wrote: Really sorry to hear that, though I actually feel this is a huge benefit to the community. I have been on the chat and text all day today and got to meet a lot of people.

There seems to be a good rapport going on between people and we have 170 people online at the moment compared to between 20=30 on chat.

I would like to know your reasonings for not liking it though, so please feel free to message me or reply to this.

Regards

Paul
rpacetoday wrote: I do not like giving all my data to a 3rd site just to chat on Nexus.....i do not need voice and such

edit....I am old school and am not up on giving all my life history to an external site jut to chat. All I want to do is swap a few text messages with a few others once in a while without sacrificing my privacy......sounds reasonable enough
matortheeternal wrote: You can still use the private message system of the Nexus for communicating with other users. And then there's email and managing your own private chat room. The Nexus is not obligated to provide any chat room at all.

You can read Discord's Privacy Policy here: https://discordapp.com/privacy

In my cursory overview there's nothing egregiously bad in there. To my untrained legal eye it appears they are not selling your information to third parties.

Saying you're giving your life history to them just to chat is definitely hyperbole. That might be true with a service like Facebook, but Discord only requires a username, email address, and a password to sign up.
rpacetoday wrote: yeah, limit us to worse ways of communication and say it is lovely, when all we want is the old chat. :/

edit: I do not want discord, I just want to chat in the old fashioned way.......something I donated money to support. Now I am being forced to sign away more personal info to yet another company like Microsoft or Apple or Google. Not right.
The Vampire Dante wrote: Your "personal information" at this point could be a sideline email address, a password just for this chat and a username.

Doesn't require anything else.
Thallassa wrote: rpace, did you ever actually use the chat here on nexus? I've never ever seen you there. Nor do any of the regulars remember you... Seems kind of odd to complain about something disappearing that you didn't use.

And there is absolutely no personal information associated with discord.
VDracul wrote: Two things are 100% certain to happen in life: death and change, lots and lots of changes.

yes i have used chat here.....just ask Taco or Bloo. I am sure they remember me. Especially taco, lol.

In response to post #41554410. #41555155, #41555405, #41556010, #41556150, #41560285, #41560470, #41560740, #41582255 are all replies on the same post.

rpacetoday wrote: :/ dunno about this.....I hate change and I really hate change when it involves a basic function on a site I love

edit: guess my chatting days are over....do not like this at all....really sad.........guess Nexus is just a dl site for me now......no more community like it was
BlindJudge wrote: Really sorry to hear that, though I actually feel this is a huge benefit to the community. I have been on the chat and text all day today and got to meet a lot of people.

There seems to be a good rapport going on between people and we have 170 people online at the moment compared to between 20=30 on chat.

I would like to know your reasonings for not liking it though, so please feel free to message me or reply to this.

Regards

Paul
rpacetoday wrote: I do not like giving all my data to a 3rd site just to chat on Nexus.....i do not need voice and such

edit....I am old school and am not up on giving all my life history to an external site jut to chat. All I want to do is swap a few text messages with a few others once in a while without sacrificing my privacy......sounds reasonable enough
matortheeternal wrote: You can still use the private message system of the Nexus for communicating with other users. And then there's email and managing your own private chat room. The Nexus is not obligated to provide any chat room at all.

You can read Discord's Privacy Policy here: https://discordapp.com/privacy

In my cursory overview there's nothing egregiously bad in there. To my untrained legal eye it appears they are not selling your information to third parties.

Saying you're giving your life history to them just to chat is definitely hyperbole. That might be true with a service like Facebook, but Discord only requires a username, email address, and a password to sign up.
rpacetoday wrote: yeah, limit us to worse ways of communication and say it is lovely, when all we want is the old chat. :/

edit: I do not want discord, I just want to chat in the old fashioned way.......something I donated money to support. Now I am being forced to sign away more personal info to yet another company like Microsoft or Apple or Google. Not right.
The Vampire Dante wrote: Your "personal information" at this point could be a sideline email address, a password just for this chat and a username.

Doesn't require anything else.
Thallassa wrote: rpace, did you ever actually use the chat here on nexus? I've never ever seen you there. Nor do any of the regulars remember you... Seems kind of odd to complain about something disappearing that you didn't use.

And there is absolutely no personal information associated with discord.
VDracul wrote: Two things are 100% certain to happen in life: death and change, lots and lots of changes.
rpacetoday wrote: yes i have used chat here.....just ask Taco or Bloo. I am sure they remember me. Especially taco, lol.

Dante, I find it really distasteful when I have to use a fake email address just to use a site or a chat. I am old school, really old school, and I am who I am. I do not like to have to fuzz me out just to stay somewhat anonymous. I don't think I should have to either.

Edit.... so I guess I should also use a VPN or other sort of concealing mechanism to keep myself private? Sounds rather wrong. Edited by rpacetoday

In response to post #41560960.

Thandal wrote:

Edit.....and yes, discord SHOULD be an option and not an obligation, but that is not the case.

Seems like you just can't/won't/don't bother to read.

Here is part of what you see when you click the "Chat" button on the Nexus:

To access our old, boring, text-only chat room, please click "I Agree" at the bottom of this page.

===========================================

Then there's your totally incorrect rant about "being forced":

edit: I do not want discord, I just want to chat in the old fashioned way.......something I donated money to support. Now I am being forced to sign away more personal info to yet another company like Microsoft or Apple or Google.

No, you are not "being forced" to do anything at all. NOTHING prevents you from using chat "in the old fashioned way".

You seem to be whinging that OTHER people will be able to use an option you don't want.

Ermmmm...

The Number One rule on the Nexus is: "Don't like it? Don't use it." :armscrossed:

It's hard to take someone seriously when the points and objections they raise are demonstrably false.

(Kinda' like a certain major party candidate for U.S. President... :whistling: )

yeah, i liked it, I used it. Now it has changed. It is only a matter of time until the old fashioned chat is done away with, now be honest. Am I correct or what?

In response to post #41560960. #41582510 is also a reply to the same post.

Thandal wrote:

Edit.....and yes, discord SHOULD be an option and not an obligation, but that is not the case.

To access our old, boring, text-only chat room, please click "I Agree" at the bottom of this page.

edit: I do not want discord, I just want to chat in the old fashioned way.......something I donated money to support. Now I am being forced to sign away more personal info to yet another company like Microsoft or Apple or Google.

No, you are not "being forced" to do anything at all. NOTHING prevents you from using chat "in the old fashioned way".

You seem to be whinging that OTHER people will be able to use an option you don't want.

Ermmmm...

The Number One rule on the Nexus is: "Don't like it? Don't use it." :armscrossed:

It's hard to take someone seriously when the points and objections they raise are demonstrably false.

(Kinda' like a certain major party candidate for U.S. President... :whistling: )

rpacetoday wrote: yeah, i liked it, I used it. Now it has changed. It is only a matter of time until the old fashioned chat is done away with, now be honest. Am I correct or what?

please be honest and tell all of us what will happen with the old fashioned "defunct" Nexus chat in the next year or so Edited by rpacetoday

In response to post #41560960. #41582510, #41582850 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

Ermmmm...

rpacetoday wrote: yeah, i liked it, I used it. Now it has changed. It is only a matter of time until the old fashioned chat is done away with, now be honest. Am I correct or what?
rpacetoday wrote: please be honest and tell all of us what will happen with the old fashioned "defunct" Nexus chat in the next year or so

If the use of the discord chat software proves to be manageable and doesn't cause any problems or undue drama, then the old chat will be decommissioned entirely.

In response to post #41560960. #41582510, #41582850, #41584305 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

Ermmmm...

rpacetoday wrote: please be honest and tell all of us what will happen with the old fashioned "defunct" Nexus chat in the next year or so
The Vampire Dante wrote:
In response to post #41560960. #41582510, #41582850 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

Ermmmm...

If the use of the discord chat software proves to be manageable and doesn't cause any problems or undue drama, then the old chat will be decommissioned entirely.

It's not the problem of the majority of users you are old fashioned.