Tutorial: 3ds Max Skinned Meshes Into Game

Vannus

I have an export problem with 3dsmax 2011 that I can't seem to solve and I have the feeling I'm overlooking something obvious.

When I add vertices to one of the games meshes (mesh smooth for example) and keep the uv updated I can export just fine.

However when I remove vertices or parts of a model I get an error on export and max crashes. The error message is rather useless just stating that an error has occured, no clarifying info at all.

I use all export and import options as stated in the tutorial.

Anyone have a clue how I can solve this?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is skinned it's probably the BSDismemberskin modifier, either delete it and set it up from scratch or fix the one that is already there. If any faces are unassigned to one of the partitions it'll crash.

That was the problem.

Thanks a lot :)

Fixed the meshes problem, seems it had to do with wrong bones assigned to a part of the model.

Only problem left is making the clothes distort along the body parts. So....does anyone know how to properly do that

so that the leg doesn't go through the skirt when I walk, but instead goes along the leg?

Fixed the meshes problem, seems it had to do with wrong bones assigned to a part of the model.

Only problem left is making the clothes distort along the body parts. So....does anyone know how to properly do that

so that the leg doesn't go through the skirt when I walk, but instead goes along the leg?

To what bone is the skirt rigged? the hip? You just need to rig it to the leg bones and then it will move along with that

Yeah it's rigged to the thigh. The problem is that when I walk the skirt gets 'ripped' apart.

Which probably has to do with the weight. So can anyone explain to me how to use weight paint tool in 3ds max?

Having problems with the weight paint. It only paints the skirt mesh red which stands for 1.0 weight,

And I can't paint it the blue which stands for 0 weight and yellow which is in between. So does anyone know how to change that?

Thanks

Thank you for this great thread, was quite insightful (a good bedtime reading)

Question though. When i save the altered nif in Nifscope I get "link points to wrong block type" and it then highlights/points to BSLightingShaderProperty that i just copied from the original. Everything seems to work just fine even with that but still is there a solution? Im using nifskope-1.1.0-rc4-i686-w32 version.

Oh and on that note when i try to use throttlekitty's nif.xml i get errors on start up, is there a procedure im not familiar with?

And Happy modding this year, next year and many years after everyone.

Any chance someone could do a breif tutorial on what steps they are taking in max EG: texture id,s and such.

I followed this tut quite a few times now trying to get a pendant in game and kept ending up with the dreaded red triangle issue, then i finally did something in Max regarding textures and FINALLY got it working

so i decided to give the bigger items like armour and gauntlets a shot using the same method but all i got was parts not being drawn, just missing in game, no big red triangle!.

So ive been messing around trial and error stuff and i seem to be stuck with either 3 issues ,red triangle / see through parts/ or Max just crashing on export.

im sure its a texture setting issue prior to export but as i cant find a single skyrim fallout 3 3dsmax rigging tut anywhere and as this is my first attempt at these games im relying on methods ive used for other games like gta4.

pls help 3 days is a big investment for nothing