Dying GPU or ?

So I've seemingly been struck by lighting and have been chosen to have what seems to be hardware failure in a year old GPU.

That is, what it appears to be at least. I'm honestly a little confused because I've never seen and have been unable to find examples of artifacts that look quite like these:

http://i.imgur.com/r0FDCSp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pv9EzYo.jpg

I've heard of "Checkerboard" artifacts, but nothing that behaves like this.

For starters, they're all delegated to very specific parts of the scene, specifically static objects like the pillars and the road.

The first image seems strange because the artifacts have a "bloom lighting" effect, as if they're actually in the game environment rather than a product faulty vram; in addition to that, you can see how some of the artifacts are wrapped around corners or partially obscured, instead of overlaying over everything like I'm used to.

In the second example you can see the parts of the environment behind the artifacts perfectly fine, as if someone cropped out parts of the scene in photoshop to reveal the layer underneath. Again, if you look at the robed character you can see how the artifacts are capable of being partially obscured by other things.

I haven't seen any other kinds of artifacts, such as stretching geometry or odd pixels.

I ran some MSI kombustor tests for five minutes individually with 8xaa and encountered no issues.

Only two other games I've encountered any issues: Resident Evil 5, which dissolved into a complete slurry a couple seconds into the variable benchmark, and Oblivion, whos only issue is that everything appears very distorted for a second whenever I load a game. (Area transistions are fine.)

Overwatch, MGSV, and Fallout 4 experience no issues. (Im not sure if the fact none of those games are DX9 is a clue).

I'm running windows 10, 24gbs of ram and a gtx980 with the Overwatch Game Ready driver.

I was recording video at the time of these, which is the only way I could have managed to capture these stills. In my editing software, they only last for a single frame and so far seem to be unpredictable.

So, any chance this is some odd compatibility issue or should I start saving for a 1080?

Edited by Radioactivelad

I would get ready to buy a replacement, that said maybe it's a heat issue? try cleaning the fan and even underclocking the card and little and see what happens, you might get a little more life out of it.

That's if the temperature reading is correct, I suggested underclocking because I had a similar thing happen years ago, underclocking by about 10% made the problem go away and I got a few more months out of the card before it finally gave up the ghost.

Yeah I expected as much.

But I just sprinted across FO4 for 20 minutes at 4k (thanks to DSR) and nothing showed up?

Also ran numerous other software like kombustor and some of the uniengine stuff and again, nothing.

Hell, they even ran pretty decently. FO4 managed to stay between 30-40fps when I turned godrays off. 28-35 at high.

I know faulty gpus are fickle but this is just bizarre to me.

Edited by Radioactivelad

I agree to all the others, seeing this artifacts in a game your GPU is close of the cliff edge to completely fall and die. Like the others said try to under clock it. It might help but I seen this my self on GPU's I tried to get spin up on different PC setups and, well none ended up well! Sorry! Prepare to invest in a new GPU card if you can't play out the warranty card.

The likely culprit is the connection between either the GPU and the PCB or one of the memory-chips and the PCB.

A very demanding game might temporarily fix the connection because the graphics card will run hotter with these games.

Ironically I have an old 8800gt which is known for having solder issues that doesn't work any more because the PCB sags.