Why we remember Morrowind as the best

evermore

It is easy to remember Morrowind as the best of all of the elder scrolls because it was the first. (I am aware of the existence of Arena and Daggerfall) a lot of things have been changed around between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, so any given player is bound to have liked the way Morrowind did some things the best. When we think of Morrowind we imagine Skyrim but with the things we liked about Morrowind swapped in.

Last night I played Morrowind for some retro-gaming, which made the mental-gymnastics I had been doing obvious to myself. Sure it had the cool things I liked, but it also didn't have (insert huge amount of awesome stuff added in for Oblivion and Skyrim here.) I guess my point is, Morrowind was awesome and cool, and was RP-tastic to a brutally hardcore level, but lets not shortchange the advancements that have been made in the subsequent elder scrolls games.

P.S. I'm not talking about visuals and animations, although those have improved quite a lot. :)

Edited by evermore

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morrowind is still the best because it's the most original. Vvardenfell was a really weird place.

Oblivion and Skyrim, for all their advancements in graphics and features, will never feel as special because they're essentially generic medieval European fantasy settings that we've seen 1,000 times.

That's why I hope the next game is somewhere weird again, like Black Marsh or Elsweyr. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's High Rock. Oblivion 3: Fantasy French People Edition. Yawn.

Because people who play Skyrim are in the age-range of when Morrowind was out. Thus it was their first real open RPG.

Now, 15 years later, they've seen hundreds more RPGs and they wear their rose tinted glasses proudly.

You know what, I never liked Morrowind. I spent more time wandering blind, killing guards for new armor, than actually questing.

I find Skyrim the best out of the 3. The idea of a random dragon attacking you, is simply too much awesomeness than the god damn puzzle of a gameplay Morrowind was.

I don't understand why the Morrowind lovers can't keep their comments out of this forum and get back to morrowind?

It's the nr.1 complains, beside exploiters calling the game easy, these days. "amagad morrowind had better X and Y! Bethesda is getting worse now!" /facepalm

P.S. People who started playing Oblivion says Oblivion is best. People who started playing in daggerfall says it is the best. Proudly wearing 'dem rose tinted glasses is a trend today!

Probably because it was in that transitional stage between older and modern graphics so it had more book depth, chance rolls, lots of skills, lots of quests, and a large variety of dungeons and environments. it used story and dialogues to tell the story, not graphics, special effects, or music. It was also modded to hell and back.

I would love morrowind to be combined with skyrim, skyrim combat... in morrowind... with skyrim graphics, with all the guilds added together, and more!

It's the atmosphere that makes it so special too me.... no other game feels quite like it!

P.S. People who started playing Oblivion says Oblivion is best. People who started playing in daggerfall says it is the best. Proudly wearing 'dem rose tinted glasses is a trend today!

Becauseno one could possibly like Morrowind or Oblivion more than Skyrim without having a memory distorted by nostaligia, right? Just like people will have the wrong opinion in the future when they like Skyrim more than TESVI.

I hope an elitist mocks you in 2014 for "wearin' 'dem rose tinted glasses" for Skyrim being your favorite.

Oh, but I'm sure you'll be an exception to the rule and buck this "trend."

Right?

Edited by Gaius Octavian

Becouse:

-it's not like a baby-sitter who tells me that I need to follow a compass like a good boy I am(try finishing a quest without it in Oblivion/Skyrim)

-it only gives me smart indications about a place and I have to fallow the clues to get there

-I actualy have to ask for directions, unlike it's predecessors

-it's a unique and beautiful world

-beast races look like beasts

-it has more weapon types(spears, crossbows)

-armors+++++++++++++

-complex story

-it was actually made for PCs

Yeah, these are a few, but main reasons why. :wub:

Edited by Pushkatu

What was soo amazing about Morrowind was the depth but admittedly the actual gameplay of Morrrowind was awful compared to Oblvion or Skyrim. I think the main complaints from people are that why can't we keep the orignality and depth that Morrowind offered with graphical and animation improvements.

It's like the only good things that changed from MW to MW2 was the addition of game winning killcams and slightly better graphics and perhaps titles/emblems. In this vain a Morrowind with finishing moves, more interesting combat, radiant AI, graphical enhancements, and some of the amazing caves/dungeons we see in Skyrim would be amazing. The barebones of Oblivion and Skyrim are far less impressive than Morrowind but the glossy finishes on both games make them easily playable. Also, the law of Morrowind was fascinating the politics as well - this was sadly lacking in Oblivion and in Skyrim it still falls short of Morrowind.

There's nothing wrong with liking Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim at the same time. They are great games in their own ways. The dreamer in me would love to see the landscape and depth of Morrowind and Oblivion in Skyrim, but the realist in me knows that console-focused games are big business these days and so need a wider appeal. Skyrim is immediately accessible and great fun to play. Morrowind is a slow-burner and for me a more satisfying overall experience. Edited by stimresp