Standardized list of mods that should only be loaded AFTER leaving Vault 111/after certain point in the game?

Antediluvia502

(IF THIS POST BELONGS IN MOD TROUBLESHOOTING FEEL FREE TO MOVE IT. I WAS NOT ENTIRELY SURE WHICH SUB-FORUM WAS A GOOD FIT)

Hey guys. Over time of playing Fallout 4 mods since December I have occasionally had to start a new game over. I've noted that starting without changing your mod order can lead to some issues with the main quests/scripting/NPC interaction. I remember myself I had to at least reach Diamond City for the first time before being (reasonably) safe enough to load all my mods.

However, do the myriad updates of mods and Fallout 4 itself I'm not sure if this is an issue anymore, however I find myself having to restart due to corrupted saves (and just wanting to make a new character anyway).

So I was wondering if any of the more knowledge out there among you could pick out any of the mods in my mod order that might cause a problem?

I was also thinking (hence the title of the thread) of creating a standard list of mods that could cause vanilla quest/npc problems as sort of a warning, or maybe just so others with greater knowledge of the creation kit to make patches so that said mods only activate after certain events/meetings/values have been filled/passed?

Anyhow, here's my load order:

0 0 Fallout4.esm
1 1 DLCRobot.esm
2 2 DLCworkshop01.esm
3 3 DLCCoast.esm
4 4 DLCworkshop02.esm
5 5 DLCworkshop03.esm
6 6 Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
7 7 Arbitration - Resources.esm
8 8 ArmorKeywords.esm
9 9 Loads.esm
10 a Robot Home Defence.esm
11 b vault75fix.esp
12 c ShipwreckIsle.esp
13 d Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp
14 e Loads of Ammo - Leveled Lists.esp
15 f Arbitration - Button Lowered Weapons.esp
16 10 Armorsmith Extended.esp
17 11 Armorsmith Far Harbor.esp
18 12 robotDLC_weave.esp
19 13 ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-DLCVersion.esp
20 14 BetterAutomatronWeapons.esp
21 15 Legendary Robot Armour.esp
22 16 Automatron Helmets Fix.esp
23 17 autoweapons.esp
24 18 Automatron Protectrons Expanded.esp
25 19 Mechanist.esp
26 1a BMRM.esp
27 1b LegendaryModification.esp
28 1c LegendaryModificationMisc.esp
29 1d LegendaryModificationCSA.esp
30 1e LegendaryModificationGroknak.esp
31 1f Crafting Workbench.esp
32 20 Crafting Workbenches - Automatron DLC.esp
33 21 Crafting Workbenches - Faction and Quest Requirements.esp
34 22 Gojira.esp
35 23 Cold Fusion Generator.esp
36 24 Killable Children - Far Harbor.esp
37 25 Lots More Facial Hair.esp
38 26 AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
39 27 LoreFix01.esp
40 28 LegendaryModification2LM.esp
41 29 ModdableBuddy.esp
42 2a ModdableGreygarden.esp
43 2b Guards.esp
44 2c Insignificant Object Remover.esp
45 2d DD_Chronophage_Explore_Endless_Possibilitys.esp
46 2e Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
47 2f rings1.02.esp
48 30 BossChestsHaveLegendaries.esp
49 31 Enclave Blood Angels.esp
50 32 Randomized DC Guard Outfits.esp
51 33 ImprovedNuke.esp
52 34 ClearWater.esp
53 35 Cryolator.esp
54 36 Better Explosives - Far Harbor.esp
55 37 Better Explosives - Normal.esp
56 38 FatManRadiation.esp
57 39 Better Explosives - Enhanced Grenades.esp
58 3a Better Explosives - Grenade Frequency 15.esp
59 3b JetWeaponCol.esp
60 3c UsefulRippers.esp
61 3d Throwing Knife.esp
62 3e 3DNPC_FO4.esp
63 3f BTInteriors_Project.esp
64 40 Oven Sesame.esp
65 41 NAC.esp
66 42 Raider Children.esp
67 43 TheFishermansGambit.esp
68 44 MojaveImports.esp
69 45 GoneFeral.esp
70 46 MODspider.esp
71 47 Firelance2.5.esp
72 48 SuperMutantOverhaul.esp
73 49 hamilton's_death_division.esp
74 4a RaiderOverhaul.esp
75 4b WZWildWasteland.esp
76 4c Wasteland Arsenal.esp
77 4d MikeMooresMCAM.esp
78 4e MoreWeaponsBoS.esp
79 4f BoSGaussRifle.esp
80 50 PlaneWreck.esp
81 51 UniqueUniques.esp
82 52 ExoticEnemies.esp
83 53 GrenadeExpansionPack.esp
84 54 RansackedRelay.esp
85 55 PartyIsland2.esp
86 56 CROSS_PlasRail.esp
87 57 NAC-FarHarbor.esp
88 58 Killable Children.esp
89 59 improvedbos.esp
90 5a FeralGhoulMeat.esp
91 5b MRE_Box.esp
92 5c Skibs223Pistol-AWKCR.esp
93 5d Crossbow.esp
94 5e FarHarborAmmo_Commonwealth.esp
95 5f Synth Overhaul.esp
96 60 RailroadPerksCut.esp
97 61 WiredReflexes.esp
98 62 AWKCRPatch-UFO4P.esp
99 63 PlagueDoctor.esp
100 64 BioshockInspiredPowerArmor.esp
101 65 standaloneconstruct.esp
102 66 stumbleuponinteriors.esp
103 67 M2045MagnumRevolverRifle.esp
104 68 LagrieMasksofApoc.esp
105 69 Extended weapon mods.esp
106 6a Jet Collection Leveled Lists.esp
107 6b Shishkebab3xDMG.esp
108 6c ZetaImpetus.esp
109 6d alexHeroRifle.esp
110 6e _00Stingray.esp
111 6f ClassicSniper.esp
112 70 EpilogueRestored.esp
113 71 FO4 NPCs Travel.esp
114 72 OWR_GOP.esp
115 73 TOSPhaser.esp
116 74 mergedpatch.esp

I have recently uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, and cleaned all mods posted (as well as created a merged patch after all is said and done thanks to F04edit).

Feel free to yell at me for know knowing the state of things, but that's why this forum is here no?

In most cases it's best to NOT install mods until the intro/Tutorial is finished. They are heavily scripted so there is a lot going on by default.

That being said Beantown already checks to see if you have gotten the Pip-Boy or exited Vault 111 before it adds the Setting Holotape to the players inventory other then that it really isn't doing much during the intro.

In most cases it's best to NOT install mods until the intro/Tutorial is finished. They are heavily scripted so there is a lot going on by default.

That being said Beantown already checks to see if you have gotten the Pip-Boy or exited Vault 111 before it adds the Setting Holotape to the players inventory other then that it really isn't doing much during the intro.

Thanks for the reply. Would this include Hair/race mods and the UFO4P as well?

I would error on the side of caution myself. You could add the hair/race mods as soon as you get the Pip-Boy and open the vault door. It should be safe then and you can change that stuff before using the elevator.

I would assume that UFO4P would be ok to have installed but I'm not sure. It may not even fix anything in the intro/tutorial so if it doesn't they it could also be activated once you leave the vault.

I would ask over on the UFO4P threads.

Enumerating a list of "don't load these before exit" mods would be infinite and ever-growing, and impossible to maintain. As a general rule, anything that adds stuff to your inventory needs to be avoided, as you do not have one before putting on the Pip-Boy.

Like folks above have said: it's better to do it the other way. Don't load any mods before exit unless it specifically says in the docs or description that it's safe to do so. If a mod is "aware" of the beginning, some can delay adding stuff to your inv until you get the Pip-Boy (True Storms does this with its settings and control holotapes); others start their quest by having their object out in the world, like the Journal of the Sole Survivor mod which has its tape in Sanctuary.

Just assume nothing is safe unless it clearly states that it is ;).

Enumerating a list of "don't load these before exit" mods would be infinite and ever-growing, and impossible to maintain. As a general rule, anything that adds stuff to your inventory needs to be avoided, as you do not have one before putting on the Pip-Boy.

Like folks above have said: it's better to do it the other way. Don't load any mods before exit unless it specifically says in the docs or description that it's safe to do so. If a mod is "aware" of the beginning, some can delay adding stuff to your inv until you get the Pip-Boy (True Storms does this with its settings and control holotapes); others start their quest by having their object out in the world, like the Journal of the Sole Survivor mod which has its tape in Sanctuary.

Just assume nothing is safe unless it clearly states that it is :wink:.

Fair enough and simple enough. Thank you!

In all of their games, the beginning contains the heaviest amount of scripting and stuff that is not going to be used for the rest of the game.

In short.. they go all out for the beginning. So unless you have alt start mods, or things that don't touch the player character in any way, it's not smart to load mods before starting the game.

The only mods I will run when starting a new character is the character mods like CBBE, Hair Mods and looksmenu then after leaving Vault 111 I go full bore load order. I even have two plugin.ini files which I keep stored in backup folders one folder I called newgame the other folder I call currentfullymodded so when I start a new game I drop the newgame load order in and overwrite then when I get out of 111 I drop the fully modded list one back in and overwrite this makes it a lot quicker seeing as I never have or never will use any mod management system I do it all by notepad (Old School)

Edited by ClayboTGW

Of my 210 mods, I have found only 3 I do need to have inactive before the start. They add holotapes to the inventory when installed, and the way the game is scripted at the beginning, they all get removed as soon as I pick up the pipboy.

I have found that most weapon, and armor mods seem to be fine, but anything that can drastically overhaul the game play, might be best not to activate at the start.

Mostly it seems a trial, and error to see what you can and can not load at the start.