A small suggestion

Marthos

Thanks to Skyrim's release, we appear to have a large influx of new members who are unfamiliar with the way some things work round here.

In the file upload threads there's many first posts demanding screenshots or stating that there is no file to download, some of them aren't worded to nicely either.

Would it be possible to set a default first post by His Nibs the Sitebot (praise him), using the yellowy orangey colour text that the moderators use saying something along the lines of:

"If there are no files or screenshots, the mod author may still be uploading them, please be patient".

Good idea. I kinda miss good ol' Mr Sitebot. He could prove really useful for that purpose you suggested.

But then again, mod authors can set their files to "hidden" before uploading files and screens. Since someone impatient complained about the lack of screenshots for a mod of mine, i hide all my uploads until everything's ready. It takes only about 2 to 10 minutes depending on the mod content, and it prevents the first comments from being just complaints. Doesn't really hurt to hide the file for that short time.

But well it seems like many mod uploaders are not aware of the "hide file" feature...

I like this suggestion, I miss seeing Sitebot on mods too.

Personally when I upload a mod I always have screenshots ready and they're always the first to be uploaded due to their very small size compared to the mod.

I find that if you at least have an image, it shows you're definitely uploading something and usually keeps the impatient people at bay...

If people comment saying anything relating to where the file is or where the screenshots in such a short time after the page has been created, just report the comments requesting them to be removed.

Or use the epic supporter/premium member feature by hiding the comments yourself :) (If you are a supporter or premium member... naturally)

Oh yeah, Site Bot, the most neg-rep'd user of the whole network! I dearly miss it, too.

Didn't like a mod and wanted to show the modder how unappreciated his work was, you gave Site Bot a -rep! After all, being the first post in the comments it just "had to" be the uploader!

Granted, this way you not only failed to realize that "reputation" didn't have an effect beyond the actual comments thread, and also completely missed realizing what a "bot" is (besides no matter how many negative reputation Site Bot got its posts never got hidden!), no, you also publically showed your overall ignorance in the most hilarious way one could think of, but at least you expressed your dislike of someone's work!

That was funny times, seeing those little red numbers amount up to 3 digits for certain mods... while at the same time one could only silently mourn about the overly apparent lack of intelligence among the site users... oh well.

But I agree, a return of the famous Site Bot not only giving basic information about the mod as before but also hints for not to complain about missing files or screenshots during the first minute or two after database entry creation, perhaps even in "moderator yellow" as suggested, to further eliminate confusion about "who" Site Bot really is, could really come in handy here.

On the other hand though... this requires people to actually "read" a few comments immediately before posting their's... which considering the number of people giving Site Bot a -rep before unfortunately won't be done by too many, I'm afraid. So it's not the "perfect" solution either. Yet, it'd sure be worth it for the nostalgic feeling alone, seeing Site Bot return... :rolleyes:

...uh my, I'm writing some nonsense these days...

...uh my, I'm writing some nonsense these days...

Shame on you, I just red your entire post and it's both nostalgic and fun. I don't think we can get rid of such comments, since we will always have new members(2-3k a day?). Some people just don't read. Throw a book at them and they'll use it to start a fire or worse.

"If there are no files or screenshots, the mod author may still be uploading them, please be patient".

This might put a stop to these comments, but not entirely, becouse people just don't read. It's the same as it is with those reporting a bug, that's allready mentioned in the readme where the modder nicely explained how to fix it or that it will be fixed in the next version.

Edited by Pushkatu

Would it not just be easier to set a file to hidden when you initially create it, upload all your images and files, and then unhide it, thus circumventing the quick commenters? Or am I missing something? :(

Would it not just be easier to set a file to hidden when you initially create it, upload all your images and files, and then unhide it, thus circumventing the quick commenters? Or am I missing something? :(

Hi,

that's the way i do it, never had any problems :thumbsup:

Sarah

I'd say that's of course the easier approach. But how many uploaders are actually aware of this possibility?

Counting the many times this answer came as a "total surprise" to the OPs, I'd say not many.

Coming to think of it, I was playing with the idea to maybe have your entry "automatically" hidden by default.

This would then either require the uploader to "unhide" it himself afterwards though,

or the entry to be unhidden "again automatically" once the 1st file got added or something.

Anyways, it will definitely require some more obvious means to inform the uploader what exactly is going on, so there's nobody wondering why the heck an entry is "still hidden" after several weeks!

Perhaps the whole upload process itself could be simplyfied, streamlined, something along that line, like a wizard more or less, so you first give the description and statistical information, requirements, credits, permission as usual, then get the opportunity to upload screenshots, add videos, mirrors etc., and after this can upload the actual files, the first one of which will either unhide the entry already, or at the end you have to "finalize" it all by pressing a button and "then" it gets unhidden. Of course, as with all "good" wizards, you still have to maintain the option for the advanced users to do things in any order they like to, return to specific steps at any time, etc. etc.

But perhaps it'd just be easier to simply "raise awareness" of this feature to "start your entry as hidden until you're done with it".