Magical Vending Machine

DarkusRelling

Out: The diamond troll from Discworld - Mr Shine himself. He removes his black cloak and the room is dazzled by his brilliance. No wonder he is called Mr Shine. He's brightened up the place considerable. He scoops up George's diamond which is a mere chip off the old block - so to speak.

In: I've come over all nostalgic in the interim. So, I place into the MVM Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond and some candy floss* just in case the next poster is too young to remember Syd. Nothing like candy floss to cheer people up. 

*Cotton candy, Fairy floss... 

Out: '90s nonfiction books about the universe and outer space, with starry book jackets on their covers, and library checkout receipts between their pages. 

(I listened to a lot of Pink Floyd on CDs -- especially the Wish You Were Here album -- while reading such books in high school in the late 90s-early 00s.)

And while I'm on this nostalgia trip...

In: A CD of P.S. (best of Toad the Wet Sprocket) -- with possibly a tiny bit more laser wear on "Fall Down" -- and a 1992 hardcover copy of Why Buildings Fall Down by Matthys Levy and Mario Salvadori.

Edited by AaronOfMpls
small re-wording; Salvadori link
  • Like 1

Out: 4000 year old reassembled Cuneiform tablets.  Which have been translated to English maybe?  (about time)

In: A 45 RPM record some guys had made about wanting to hold some girls hands.  (they must have been ugly as... as... Beetles.  So no girls would let those beetle pinchers touch them? My girl friend never played the flipside while I was there.  We didn't date as I got the message.  It was that she wanted them to hold her hand, not me.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Out: The i-Spy book of Creapy Crawlies with all entries ticked and dated. There's the badge as well. The beetle section is well-thumbed. There is also a box of dates for Pagafyr and a calendar.*

In: A beautiful hand-turned fountain pen made of oak and inlaid with strips of mahogany (if you can remember that far back). It is filled with rose coloured ink.

* The AI on the MVM is playing up again. In some ways it's a step forward because it is now less certain about its interpretations and makes allowances for getting things wrong.  I will tweak it a bit when I get the chance...

• Haha 1

Out: Wow!  Something jammed up the vending machine.  There is some bits of hardwood and it looks like a little bit of diluted blood all over the inside of the out box.

In: A clowns Pajamas with fluffy round buttons, large long soft cloth feet, and a collar with tiny cloth made bells hanging on the collar all around the edges. 

• Like 1

Out: Episode 10 Nightmares (Season 1) of Buffy the Vampire Slayer along with a tub of home-made popcorn drizzled with honey and a large mug of hot chocolate.

In: Baldur's Gate  Box Set - this must date from around 2001... It's the original version with absolutely appalling screen resolution and it's all blobby. It's wonderful. But having spent an hour getting it to work on Linux yesterday, I'm still not at the stage where it's CD free and I'm a little curious as to whether a trip through the MVM might improve things. Of course there's the danger that it will affect the development of BG4... 😁

• Like 1

Out: A holiday package for two for a Fantasy Island adventure to the Shivering Isles of the Daedric Prince Sheogorath.  Standing on the dock is Tattoo with his French accent shouting; The plane boss, the plane!

In: A list of all the alchemical potions.  One specifically when mixed with pearls made us invisible.  Not invincible, Invisible.

• Like 1

Out: Hmmm - that's interesting. Nothing seems to have come out. At least I can't see anything though there's this strange sense of presence. I can't figure out if it's a cloaking device left over from The Voyage Home or perhaps it's something to do with Watcher's Keep from BG1 and 2 in which case I'm sorry to say we may have let loose Demogorgan - The Imprisoned One and actually that really is quite bad news. On the scale of 1 to 10 I'd put it at 10 and with some to spare... 

I'm taking no chances with this one. I just happen to have Drizzt Do'Urden here beside me and he's agreed to deal with whatever it is. Drizzt has  let Guenhwyvar, the onyx panther have a little look-see in the MVM just to make sure...  

In: It looks like it's an all-clear so just to be doubly careful (as Yoshi* would say) and as a precaution against any residual evil lurking I'll put in a scroll of protection from evil.

* BG2 - I really do need to get out more... even in terms of pretend... I need to pretend elsewhere more... 

Out: A mouse with a tale to tell.  Glad to have a scroll to hide in occasionally after the invisible spell wore off.  A good scroll to tuck inside so when people pass by they'll think it is trash and leave it alone.  Wwhile he uses it to sneak out of the little town of Neufunland, across the bay from Suran; back to the country where his home is to share his tale.  The same scroll a wizard just picked up thinking someone dropped it.  Now the mouse and the wizard have a tale tell about how they met and everything that happened as they got better acquainted.

In: A movie called, The Mouse that Roared.

Out: Tourist and investors' guides to the Duchy of Grand Fenwick ... now richer than Luxembourg, but still smaller than Andorra or Liechtenstein, and a whole lot sillier than all three. 😜

In: A DVD of the 1961 movie One, Two, Three.

• Haha 1