Does modding benefit the gamer or the developer?

OnlyOneWing

The benefit of console gaming is that you can trade games in after you are done with them. I purchased Skyrim by trading-in Driver:Sanfran and Batman:AA2, and I just remembered that I still have like 8$ store credit from it.... Then I have like 70$ credit at another game store that I preordered Skyrim on for Xbox. I realized I did it on Xbox and canceled, they would only give me store credit. :\

But yeah, PC gamers do get the short end of the stick in that sense... But then again, in a year we will have probably two to three times as much content in Skyrim than it shipped with. So we have way more replay value.

Meanwhile, Bethesda will have a ton of research into what the market wants. And Creative ways to approach various in-game issues.

What would be interesting is if eventually mods could be ported over to Xbox/ PS3 versions.

Edited by OnlyOneWing

Many, if not most, professional game developers get their start modding games.

Not so much anymore man, but it used to be that way. Shame too. Because while we love to mod, being paid to do what we love would be amazing.

And the big problem with the console approach is simple. They will look at what the market wants for sure. but it wont necessarily be us that is the market. As they can get higher numbers making a mediocre shiny game for consoles than they could making the best game of all time for PC.

Edited by minngarm

Not so much anymore man, but it used to be that way. Shame too. Because while we love to mod, being paid to do what we love would be amazing.

Hey, it's still possible to develop games for steam/Xboxlive arcade. I would imagine that would be a plus on your resume. Modding can be a gateway if you take it seriously.

Hey, it's still possible to develop games for steam/Xboxlive arcade. I would imagine that would be a plus on your resume. Modding can be a gateway if you take it seriously.

I wouldn't give up on this idea at all. I didn't even know what 'modding' was until a few years ago, and I didn't know until then that the bug would hit me. I have seen more talent, imagination, and beautiful work come from the modding community. Being a middle aged player and novice modder myself, I can do something that I really do enjoy when I have the time. But for the younger folks who have a much better grasp on this media, keep at it. If nothing else, you get enormous satisfaction knowing that a lot of the community is using one of your mods. I certainly did on the one mod I did for DA2, it was received very well and it was a rather silly mod at that. But I got many compliments and that made it worth it.

I would love to have some of my work used in a game such as this, even if it was just one of my textures. And I am self learning modeling, but again, while I have the tools, software, hardware and such, in my case, finding the time to sit down and learn this stuff is my problem. But I'll keep at it.

So don't give up on the notion that your work may not be noticed. Keep at it and if nothing else , have fun. But you never know, if one of your mods is noticed by a company, it could lead to better things. The odds are slim to be sure, but maybe...just maybe... :biggrin:

More to the point, I think modding is good for both the company and the players. It benefits both sides in my opinion.

Edited by BarefootWarrior

True, if you start young and work hard at it. With a bit of talent, I'm sure it must be possible to break through from the mod community. It can't hurt to start building your portfolio and networking. It also probably wouldn't hurt to be an alpha or beta tester. Edited by OnlyOneWing

cmods ! huh ! they (developers) use our creativity for free instead of having and expensive building with a lot of high tech and outrageously expensive workstation teams technicians managers leaders designers testers maintenance upkeep services and woooooooooooooooooow you name it !!!! :dance:

you may think that it is for the benefit but calculate for yourself !! you can find tons of mods out there for just skrym which is an enormous open world game and developing and testing it takes dramatic amount of time ! so the result of user modding is the best part of their job and believe me when after nearly 1 month of release you see this amount of mods ! you sure have brought devilish smile :devil: upon devil developer's innocent looking :unsure: face for those we are grateful for creating the game in the first place yeah you guy good job :whistling: ! but fair is fair they still steal our creativity time resource and patience :wallbash: ! in fact we hand them over almost happily ! :woot:

the more mods we make to make the game how we want it, the less money bethesda has to spend paying developers to do the same thing. this way we get exactly what we want, and bethesda saves money by not having to pay people to make patches that not everyone will like.

we can pick and choose what we want to change.

thats why most smart pc game developers, encourage modding

Edited by frapfap

It benefits the player deffinitly.

Take the followers system in Skyrim. Apart from any legal issues (though being a modder and having your name in the end titles or a special ingame credit, would be good enough for most i think)

Bethesda made a half arsed followers system compared to what the community did with followers in Oblivion. Easy inventory acces, a lot of command possibilities, sneak, wait, cast only, hand to hand, only, call and/or summon options, create your own unique ompanion etc. etc. etc.

Bethesda could have easily made it as comprehensive & good as the companion mods for Oblivion. But no they made there own, as said, half arsed system. The very first companion mods in Oblivion were better despite all the limitations because modders were still learning.

Why? i dunno i think it's just plain lazziness because they know the mod community will do it for them eventually. Off course this goes only for the PC players, the console players are stuck with a half arsed system giving the impression they looked at some of the mods on their previous games.

So i'd say it benefits te player 90% & the dev 10% because they can do it the lazy way.