Bob's Armory: Skyrim

MrDave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, there's only one weapon I'd like to see in this game, but unfortunately I failed at making it :(. It's Sauron's mace from Lord Of The Rings, here's a pic:

http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/orig/14073_orig.jpg

I couldn't agree more, Zimnel. I still recall, very vividly, when testing Bob's Oblivion, the first time I encountered a vampire wielding a fist of Groenig. I was sneaking up on him and he turned around... BAM! half my life was gone! Scared the hell out of me lol.

Werne..... OMG I don't know what to say... good idea! Damn good idea! I think I'll start that right now instead of sleeping or some other unimportant function... I'll be back in a bit with screenies...

I'm really sorry for the delayed reply... I fell asleep for apparently 3 hours.... I guess I should just eat the espresso beans lol.

Okay, gona try an attachment to see if the screenie will show. It's just flat shaded right now. Still messing with what I can do with the smoothing groups.

It's UVW mapped... well it's laid out. Haven't put it into the box yet for rendering a template. The texture will only take a couple of hours, but right now it's 10:30 so the guys should be rolling into the office pretty soon. May not be able to get to texturing it for a few hours...

As soon as I get this one done, I'll be finishing a yataghan style dagger, then the DA2 staff blade.

Edited by Mr. Dave

Wow, that thing look awesome, I can already imagine smacking bandits with two of these, have some kudos for your work. While looking at your models I realise how much I suck at texturing. I can make pretty good meshes, but my textures look like someone took a dump on the mesh :(. And what's the worse, I'm trying to make a pressure valve for FO3, and all I can think of is Skyrim. I tried 4 times to make a valve, and I made a sword, an axe, a helmet and a shield *complete and utter facepalm*. I really need to get some sleep, maybe that will help.

Meh... sleep is for the dead.

The key to good texturing is the same as good house painting. You need a quality UVW map first, just like you need a good drywall job first. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be within the grasp of Blender yet. All I ever see out of that program is tiny flat planed UVW maps that use 1/10 the texture size, on HUGE textures. So either there is no documentation for unwrapping, or there are no tools for it. In max it is too easy using pelt mapping. Point to point seams. Place 'em where ya want 'em and bam, UVW is laid out. Hit with relax and it's pixel perfect... most of the time. :)

Anyway, here are a couple of quick progress shots. The guys left early to go play some modern war game on their xboxes.... except for one of the interns who is still sitting, astonished, in front of his computer because his female Eve character spawned in station totally nude lol.

I apologize for the blackspeech around the handle not being accurate. Apparently I don't have that particular font, and I cannot find documentation on what it says, so I used Tengwar cursive as a replacement.

NEVER EVER EVER.... EVAAARRR ... compare your skills to someone elses. As Merlin said, "Just remember, there is always someone cleverer than yourself!". I've been doing this professionally for a long time. I've even taught instructors, done lecturing circuits, written curriculums, tutored, etc... and I still know I am mediocre. I look at my stuff as rudimentary at best, because I don't heed my own words lol. :)

Oh, also, for ease of texturing, you may want to grab these. :D

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2324

EDIT: Good grief. I just looked at the poly count. 1,106 verts, and I was as sparing as humanly possible. :(

Edited by Mr. Dave

I agree, the sleep is for the dead. Very good work on the model, I must admit, you're fast, good and fast. And yeah, Blender can only create small flat UV map but unfortunately I don't have 3500 euros for 3DS Max :(. I have Maya 2012 though, but that thing is like the chinese alphabet, too complicated.

I agree, the sleep is for the dead. Very good work on the model, I must admit, you're fast, good and fast. And yeah, Blender can only create small flat UV map but unfortunately I don't have 3500 euros for 3DS Max :(. I have Maya 2012 though, but that thing is like the chinese alphabet, too complicated.

That and everything is named incorrectly in Maya. If forced to make a choice, I'd work in Blender over Maya... but if it came to that, I'd just reinstall Milkshape lol.

I need to work on the grunge and the specular map a bit. Just now got the normal map looking decent. In the mean time, I'm gona take a closer look around the towns for any more of my commercial work. :D