Arena, Daggerfall remake

Ovennamedheats

Just curious why there don't seem to be any attempts to remake the first two Elder Scrolls games. I'm unfamiliar with the science behind game design and programming, etc. I would think there would be a large community that would want to see this happen.

It would be very daunting. Especially in Daggerfalls case as it was essentially procedurally generated, and thus, technically never ended (map wise). I'm also not sure how many people would actually want to go through the effort (and it would be a lot of effort).

I never did play them. I thought I read someplace that Daggerfall has the largest world map of any game ever which doesn't make much sense to me as Cyrodiil is much bigger than Daggerfall. Is Elder Scrolls Online kind of an update in itaelf of Arena since it covers all continents?

I never did play them. I thought I read someplace that Daggerfall has the largest world map of any game ever which doesn't make much sense to me as Cyrodiil is much bigger than Daggerfall. Is Elder Scrolls Online kind of an update in itaelf of Arena since it covers all continents?

DaddyDirection basically said it best; the map and terrain was procedurally generated.

Pardon my ignorance but what does procedurally generated mean?

The world, To include cities, dungeons, whathaveyou, are all generated when the game is installed. The game engine uses algorithms and such to produce the locations.

Daggerfall wasn't just the province of Daggerfall, it was all of the continent. You could fast travel to different cities/provinces from the in-game map.

Each location in Oblivion and Skyrim was hand placed by the developers when the game was created. Arena and Daggerfall used a completely different game engine that is not compatible with the way Oblivion and Skyrim were made.

Playing Arena if you uninstalled and reinstalled the game, many dungeons and towns would be in a different place ( procedurally generated psudo-random location) While every time you reinstall Skyrim and for everyone that plays it every location will always be in the same place.