PC specs and what I would need to upgrade to play on Ultra

oldspice2625

Hey, I was just wondering with my current PC specs, what I wouldn eed to upgrade in order to play this game in ultra with little to no trouble... I'd like to know what what level I should be playing with my specs now, and if I need to upgrade anything, what I should be upgrading to.

let me preface this by saying that I prefer ATI graphics cards over Nvidia, just a personal preference of how I have been experiencing these two companies :P.

My Specs:

Windows7 Home Premium 64 Bit

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor (4 CPU's) 2.9Ghz

Memory: 6144 MB RAM

DirectX Version: DX11 (obviously :P)

ATI Radeon HD 5450

Apprx total memory: 3824 MB

So what do you think I need to upgrade in order to get this to run settings at high/ultra with little trouble? Can it do it now? If it needs upgrading, what should I upgrade and what to upgrade to?

Keep in mind I don't need the absolute state of the art cutting edge, just something that would be a nice upgrade from what i've got if I need it to get the job done.

Thanks!

P.S. I didn't know where to put this, as it isn't a spoiler, nor is it a technical problem... so :P

That 5450 card is your bottleneck. that's not a gaming card, it's more for web browsing, office, watching movies, etc. Graphics intensive PC Games = No No

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=VisionTek+Radeon+HD+5450

Compare your bench score to the other cards, also look at Price per Performance chart. I won't sugarcoat it, your video card sucks! :tongue:

Edited by soot00

Everything else would be okay then?

I think i'm going to go with the 6850 card... are there varying types of that specific card to your knowledge? Have to make sure my power supply and case can handle it first of course but I think i'll be in the market for that one since it looks like it is a very high preformance card in the ATI brand.

I own a 6950 2gig and it's adequate to run on ultra 1900x1200, but there are problems when you get near water events like rivers and waterfalls, else it runs fine. My card cost about $280 a month ago because it's the Toxic edition.

I would really recommend waiting till the new cards come out in the spring. ATI should have the 7 series out then, and you'll likely end up with a measurably better card than you can get now. The difference in performance these past couple years has not been dramatic.

But if you're impatient, run 2 4890's in crossfire and you'll have a better setup than most all single cards out there currently. Though they aren't dx11-12 which means you'll be missing after-processing things that the newer cards can accomplish.

If you can suffer through the next 3 months, I'd really wait till the next gen makes it to market. You'll be much happier.

Edited by icthulu

Hmm, okay Icthulu, are there any specific cards from the 7 series you are looking at right now?

If you want to spend $150 range for a high end card. The 6850 is the way to go. It even outperforms cards that are more expensive like the 6870 which costs 35 bucks more. The 6850 is rated tops in terms of Bang for the Buck.

However if money is no object.....

Keep in mind make sure you have an adequate power supply and enough case room that the video card is gonna fit properly....

Edited by soot00

Hmm, okay Icthulu, are there any specific cards from the 7 series you are looking at right now?

No, I'm sorry.

See, I bought back in the late summer after a very long fight with myself. I made up my mind that I would upgrade to run dx11 and buy a second 6950 some time next year to keep up with the Jones'. The biggest issue I found was that the performance between the 4890 and the 6950 is not that dramatic. It runs cooler though, which is great since I OC everything. But truthfully, there is not that much of a performance disparity like the previous upgrades were.

If money is tight, I would suggest that you wait for the next gen cards as you'll get a much longer run on a 7 series ATI than a 6 series. You'll get at least an extra year out of a brand new card and it'll likely make you happier because it'll be 3 steps up from where you are now. Though they'll be about $300 for the board, when money matters, you want it to count.

I'm not disapointed with my 6950, but I was not impressed either.