Will this steam workshop type thing affect nexus?

bcooper56

Here my thoughts wondering what you guys think.

Good

1. It will making modding easier to use and do which imo is good more people modding better

2. Easy to find mods

Bad

1. Could be heavily monitored i understand and i see why they wont allow sex mods on there site or something that allows you to kill children but other than that i hope nothing is blocked or not allowed.

2. Could ruin nexus if its better service and easy and it also depends where modders will go to put there mods

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO.

The worst that will happen is (if Workshop is REALLY, REALLY good) Nexus becomes a den of perverts (Adult mods here only!), pirates (can't use workshop w/ pirated Skyrim), and privacy nuts (STEAM WATCHES ME SLEEP THRU WEBCAM!!!!!!).

And I think that'd be pretty funny.

Edited by myounage

I honestly think it is a huge improvement over nexus, I no longer have to wait 30 second to watch a random ad, along with the random ads on the sides, use a 3rd party client to install everything, and have to toggle all sorts of stuff to make it work. I can now do it all by just shift tabbing directly from steam. I cannot wait for the Steam Workshop to replace nexus.

It will most likely be monitored, fortunately it sounds like you will be able to download those mature mods on nexus etc. Steamworks is just a audience creator, and because it is run by steam they need to monitor their content to be mature.

Don't see how Nexus could be ruined by this, Steamworks will open a lot of non-modders eyes, they will download mods and attempt to create their own mods and in most cases they will look for resources for mods outside of Steamworks in a lot of cases, either to learn how to mod with tutorials or download less monitored mods.

I'm sure there will be a huge amount of people pointlessly avoiding putting their mods on steamworks because of their own personal hate towards it, so they will stick with sites like nexus.

Two things; if it's censored, it is impossible to ruin Nexus.

The other thing: The Civilization game franchise did the same thing with their latest game Civ 5. The dedicated mod website for that game didn't die down when Civ made the online mod repository. If anything, it boosted the traffic for the website. As you can see a mod in the list, the user would go to the homepage URL included in the description and read all about the mod before downloading it from either the list or from the site itself.

Edited by Budz42

Two things; if it's censored, it is impossible to ruin Nexus.

The other thing: The Civilization game franchise did the same thing with their latest game Civ 5. The dedicated mod website for that game didn't die down when Civ made the online mod repository. If anything, it boosted the traffic for the website. As you can see a mod in the list, the user would go to the homepage URL included in the description and read all about the mod before downloading it from either the list or from the site itself.

Exactly. Steamworks creates an audience and gives recognition to the people who deserve it.. Not only that it gives you a free smooth platform. I love Steam and everything it did for this genre, I find the only good argument against it is Online forced.