Will this steam workshop type thing affect nexus?

bcooper56

Exactly. Steamworks creates an audience and gives recognition to the people who deserve it.. Not only that it gives you a free smooth platform. I love Steam and everything it did for this genre, I find the only good argument against it is Online forced.

It is not to bad, before going on an airplane or bus with a laptop just turn on offline mode.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing yet.

But when they move to locking down mod distribution to steam only.. then later move the the pay per DL model... well then you'll have to pay a steam subscription and only be able to deal with their client to get mods.

You need to relax most of that is unlikely to happen. most...

Nothing yet.

But when they move to locking down mod distribution to steam only.. then later move the the pay per DL model... well then you'll have to pay a steam subscription and only be able to deal with their client to get mods.

Exactly, Bethesda and Valve have never done anything like that, if they did everyone would use Direct2Drive or Origin because of the subscription fee.

Here is a few FAQ from CivV Steamworks.

Q. If I install a mod from a third party website, will Steam need to “validate” the mod in any way?

A. No. Mods will not be validated by Steam, and you will not need to switch steam to online mode in order to play a new mod.

Q. When Steam auto-patches Civilization V, will mods cease to function until they are updated for the new patch?

A. We do not review mods so we can’t speak to the effect patches may have on every mod’s functionality. At the same time, ensuring that our platform remains stable and backward-compatible is a priority. As always, as I get more info, I’ll update you.

Played and modded CivV, none of these concerns people are bringing up have any proof backing them, Steamworks is nothing but good. Unless you play it in a way that isn't legal.

Edited by Shawkab

Nothing yet.

Exactly, Bethesda and Valve have never done anything like that, if they did everyone would use Direct2Drive or Origin because of the subscription fee.

If only you knew. :whistling:

Steam is garbage, Nexus is the only place I will ever go. Anything that is controlled by the government or a major corp or company or whatever isn't worth anyone's time or effort. Why couldn't they just stick the program they already used to make the game onto the game disc or something like they did with Oblivion? Edited by Lehcar

My biggest worry is if modders tend to prefer Steam over Nexus, resulting in limited mods available on Nexus. (which I think is a great resource)

I bought the game, but no matter what I tried, my computer were unable to validate through Steam.

I have a fully legit bought copy of the game, which i had to patch with a release from one of the pirate sites in order to get my game working.

I had mixed feelings about this, as I wanted to play this legit, but never the less, I also have a fully legal bought copy of the game that I could not play.

Initially I thought it might be my firewall blocking the ports, but I didn't get it to work by bypassing the firewall, or bring my computer to my brothers house, who got the game validated.

Tried all troubleshooting guides from the Steam forums, but to no avail.

My biggest worry, based on my experience with Steam, is that I will not be able to utilize the mods that really adds to the game, as it did with Oblivion if we get a segmentation of the mods.

I honestly think it is a huge improvement over nexus, I no longer have to wait 30 second to watch a random ad, along with the random ads on the sides, use a 3rd party client to install everything, and have to toggle all sorts of stuff to make it work. I can now do it all by just shift tabbing directly from steam. I cannot wait for the Steam Workshop to replace nexus.

Just thought I would point out that there would be no third party mod managers if they weren't needed. They exist to add functionality beyond what the TES games' built in mod handler was capable of. The same thing will happen with Skyrim. No matter how good the Steam Workshop thing turns out to be, its functionality will be inherently limited by what is officially supported. That means that if you want to get the most out of your modding experience, there will still be WryeSky(or whatever it gets called), SRMM, BOSS, and whatever other third party apps get created to enhance, repair and add to the Skyrim experience.

Here is a few FAQ from CivV Steamworks.

Q. If I install a mod from a third party website, will Steam need to “validate” the mod in any way?

A. No. Mods will not be validated by Steam, and you will not need to switch steam to online mode in order to play a new mod.

Q. When Steam auto-patches Civilization V, will mods cease to function until they are updated for the new patch?

A. We do not review mods so we can’t speak to the effect patches may have on every mod’s functionality. At the same time, ensuring that our platform remains stable and backward-compatible is a priority. As always, as I get more info, I’ll update you.

Played and modded CivV, none of these concerns people are bringing up have any proof backing them, Steamworks is nothing but good. Unless you play it in a way that isn't legal.

Which all means that it is still up to players to be on top of their mod management, so besides texture packs it really isn't as simple as being "a push of a button away". Do your homework and backup your saves as always. I for one am still going to get my mods from the Nexus since I want to know exactly what is going where in my game files. That and I like being able to keep a nice folder full of the zipped files so I know just what I have installed.