Will this steam workshop type thing affect nexus?

bcooper56

I do hope it's monitored. No more disgusting anime, nude and every other mod that breaks immersion.

Here we go! what kind of artistic freedom do you expect when Publishers would start listening to people like you? Anime and nude mods are disgusting? says who? in which "natural law" Sir is this an irrevocable fact of life? People are born nude and anime is a form of Art for centuries.

I have no problem with you expressing your opinion but please make sure that it is obvious that it is your opinion.

My goodness, you're right!

These totally add an artistic flair to the game.

http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/1307935-1322807109.jpg

http://static.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/41158-1-1322587946.jpg

And once again, you are certainly free to not download those if they don't suit your personal preferences. And we are thankfully free to dismiss your irrelevant complaints that they shouldn't be allowed for those that do prefer them(which I personally do not). So we all win.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many, too many mods on nexus sites that are hard to install, lack preview images/ readmes. If workshop makes mod installation more clear and easier than its right now with current tools, i will use it for sure.

I doubt the Workshop will be able to run the game and take a screenshot for every mod that is created, but I could just be silly. I also doubt the workshop can effectively determine what a mod can do and write a readme for it, but I just might be an idiot. These issues that are pointed out aren't the fault of The Nexus, it's the fault of the author of the mod.

Although it's nice to see Steam trying to incorporate the availability of user created mods into the delivery system, let's not forget that Steam is a very big company, and big companies will always have those restrictions on what you can and cannot share.

For example, what if somebody made an Iron Man armor mod? It looks exactly like Iron Man's costume, colors, details, all that. I have a feeling that Steam won't be making this available to everyone due to possible legal concerns. Yes, mods that people make for fun will always be judged according to the legality of the material. It's not just legal matters that will be taken into account, but morality as well. Think about Nude Mods and Killable Children mods. Will Steam have the balls to carry those mods and deliver them to interested people? I don't think so because from a big company's point of view, it's a scandal waiting to blow up.

In my personal opinion, sure, let Steam have the ability to deliver mods, but I wouldn't be using Steam to get the mods or search around. I'd be going to sites like Skyrim Nexus and others for mods that don't care about legality or morals. I want to experience mods as the creators intended them to be, not how Steam (or whoever holds the delivery system) needs you to follow their rules for your mod.

These totally add an artistic flair to the game.

as a matter of fact, yes! they do! I am happy to see that we came to an agreement!

There are many, too many mods on nexus sites that are hard to install, lack preview images/ readmes. If workshop makes mod installation more clear and easier than its right now with current tools, i will use it for sure.

because they are from unregulated, unpaid(as far as I know) modders who do this for themselves and decided to share it with us. I am very very very very very happy they do so and I would never ever be so arrogant and ignorant to put things like screenshots or readmes as requirements. I will go to the forum, thank for sharing and ask him NICELY if he could take screens or put a readme. Even better make a Screen and Readme myself and offer it to him as aid.

Look at the mods for Oblivion, they are wonderful, free expressions of indivualists or groups of artists. This will all end once you wrap a to tight "License agreement, Terms of Service, Regulating piece of sh**" Paper around them.

Edited by Arcadiast

If the skyrim CK is more user friendly than the Oblivion one, it might open the doors for other people to get into it that might not have had the time, dedication, or the patience to learn modding with TES Oblivion construction kit. I remember how easy the NWN kit was to use, and I was making all sorts of stuff with it, basically anything I wanted.

I doubt the Workshop will be able to run the game and take a screenshot for every mod that is created, but I could just be silly. I also doubt the workshop can effectively determine what a mod can do and write a readme for it, but I just might be an idiot. These issues that are pointed out aren't the fault of The Nexus, it's the fault of the author of the mod.

Yes, you are corrent, but i was thinking about that workshop would force author to make the mod so it installs itself with push of a button and wouldnt allow some unfinished folder jungle.

Yes, you are corrent, but i was thinking about that workshop would force author to make the mod so it installs itself with push of a button and wouldnt allow some unfinished folder jungle.

It won't. There were tools for both Oblivion and Morrowind that, given a little effort on the modder's part, made installation a breeze. These tools are well known and widely used by the community, yet not all modders made use of them. Putting an official Bethesda seal of Approval on such a tool will not change this.

For example, what if somebody made an Iron Man armor mod? It looks exactly like Iron Man's costume, colors, details, all that. I have a feeling that Steam won't be making this available to everyone due to possible legal concerns.

You bring up a fine point, that was one of the doubts I have about Steam's Workshop. Lets also not forget that just because your local/city/state/national law says something, doesn't mean the same is true for the next street/city/state/nation over. Figuring out the wording of each individual locale's specific laws is more than enough to cause headaches so they may outright prohibit the "likeness" mods all together. What would happen if a dependency (ie: a certain model/mesh/etc) is prohibited for this reason? Snowball effect or do they allow the mod that has the requirement as long as they don't package the dependency with it? The more I think about it the more it compares to the "app store" - not all apps are approved to be on the app store by Apple. "Likeness" has no bearing where I am, but I definitely see your point. Too many "what if" scenarios right now, guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Many of the mods that had the "unfinished folder juggle" that you speak of were different options for the same mod. Yes you can argue that all they had to do was write a little script for OBMM (if they used it) that would automatically install whatever, but not everyone uses OBMM - and even if they did, not everyone had the time to learn the syntax of the scripting supported in OBMM.

I honestly think it is a huge improvement over nexus, I no longer have to wait 30 second to watch a random ad, along with the random ads on the sides, use a 3rd party client to install everything, and have to toggle all sorts of stuff to make it work. I can now do it all by just shift tabbing directly from steam. I cannot wait for the Steam Workshop to replace nexus.

Oh boo-f***in'-hoo. (excuse my french) Buy a membership if the ads are so annoying. The nexus is a great site that seem capable of handling quite huge traffic loads, and all the best mods are present here.