Custom outfits crash CK when editing an NPC

JeremeW5257

Anytime I alter an outfit, then try to edit/open the actor (NPC) in the CK, the CK crashes. If I want to edit and NPC, they must be wearing a vanilla outfit (unmodded). If I replace the vanilla outfit with anything that has been modded, the CK crashes when I open the Actor to edit them.

Anyone else experience this, and found a solution?

I'm curious what people think about this as well. Is it a problem with the mesh? Is it a CK issue? I've had no luck finding an answer via Google.

I've opened many modded outfits in the NPC window of the CK (or render window that contains a NPC wearing a modded outfit) and many of them crash it. I don't know enough to determine why some do and some don't. Many of these outfits are made by the same author released in the same mod, so presumably all of the meshes were created using the same workflow, yet some of them crash the editor and some don't. And every single one of them works fine in game with no crashing.

• 2 months later...

Soooo? What I've been reading on the web for about 2 hours now is that if you want to edit most of anything in the CK, it has to be of "vanilla game" value from your game folders to keep the CK from crashing?

Because anytime I try to edit anything like a NPC, or even an item that has been in anyway changed by a mod in the CK, it crashes. I have spent more time than actually needed looking any of this up to find out if there's something i'm doing wrong.. But as a decently educated modder from the Skyrim CK. I don't think it's anything on my end.

There are only 2 things I wanted to change up in the CK, the Nav Meshing to Vault 88 [to get the settlers to use the rest of the caverns], and NPC settler looks using only vanilla assets.

I know how to do these things and do them well but I can't keep the darn CK from crashing every time I open an edit dialogue.

I've seen so many people with similar edits done in mods loaded on the Nexus but to No avail I can't seem to get anyone to respond to me about how they keep the friggin CK open long enough to even get there mods finished.

Well, my next try was to install a completely vanilla version of the game and the CK on a different Hard-Drive and do all my edits that way and then load my ESP's into my Modded game on the main hard drive.

If anyone has any feedback on this please feel free to let me know.

Thank you all for your time and efforts

Axle

Soooo? Â What I've been reading on the web for about 2 hours now is that if you want to edit most of anything in the CK, Â it has to be of "vanilla game" value from your game folders to keep the CK from crashing? Â

Â

Because anytime I try to edit anything like a NPC, or even an item that has been in anyway changed by a mod in the CK, it crashes. Â I have spent more time than actually needed looking any of this up to find out if there's something i'm doing wrong.. Â But as a decently educated modder from the Skyrim CK. Â I don't think it's anything on my end. Â

Â

There are only 2 things I wanted to change up in the CK, the Nav Meshing to Vault 88 [to get the settlers to use the rest of the caverns], and NPC settler looks using only vanilla assets.Â

Â

I know how to do these things and do them well but I can't keep the darn CK from crashing every time I open an edit dialogue.

Â

I've seen so many people with similar edits done in mods loaded on the Nexus but to No avail I can't seem to get anyone to respond to me about how they keep the friggin CK open long enough to even get there mods finished.

Â

Well, my next try was to install a completely vanilla version of the game and the CK on a different Hard-Drive and do all my edits that way and then load my ESP's into my Modded game on the main hard drive.

Â

If anyone has any feedback on this please feel free to let me know. Â

Â

Thank you all for your time and effortsÂ

Â

Axle

If you have crashes so regularly that you can't even save a few edits I'd say it's time for a fresh install of Windows.

The problem is that you can view custom armors and bodies but when you try to view any npc that's wearing a custom armor it causes an instant freeze. That includes not only the character window, but opening any cell that has an npc that is wearing a custom armor also causes it to freeze. So if you're using a mod like CBBE that changes a bunch of vanilla armors, you'll need to temporarily remove or rename all of the CBBE mesh files, causing the game to revert to the vanilla locations, before you can open any cell with a female npc in it.

The work around is to assign the armor or body to the npc in FO4Edit.

• 11 months later...