Yet another FPS issue...

Caracolito

This seems to have either started after 1.2 or gotten worse after 1.2 (I don't remember this causing me to rage last week). I can be walking around the world, killing things, going into dungeons, murdering farmers on their way to join the rebellion, etc. etc., and I'll be cruising at 40 ~ 60 fps. :dance:

At random moments I'll get drops down to 20 fps, and sometimes it dips to 5. A few seconds later it gets cleared up, but this happens anywhere between every 10 minutes to 30 seconds. I'm having a hard time narrowing down what's causing the problem... Skyrim defaults my graphics to high, but I have them currently set to low in order to narrow things down...

I've turned off AA, AF, messed with the .ini, messed with the gameplay options, have shadows down as far as they'll go (I heard the shadows cause problems a lot).

I thought it might have something to do with the world loading as I moved along, but it happens when I'm standing still, and also happens in dungeons. 5 fps really sucks when Mr. Bandit Chief is running at you with a greatsword, bent on avenging his slaughtered comrades. o_O

I'm not running any mods at all, and I've been reading the forums and I've tried a crapton of stuff, nothing seems to alleviate the spastic gameplay. It's not exactly game-breaking, but it makes me rage. If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd be willing to try it.

I'm on a laptop. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2.67 GHz

GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

RAM: 4GB

HD: 500 GB

Keyboard: Back-lit for awesomeness

Hot Cocoa Dispenser: Mint Chocolate

This seems to have either started after 1.2 or gotten worse after 1.2 (I don't remember this causing me to rage last week). I can be walking around the world, killing things, going into dungeons, murdering farmers on their way to join the rebellion, etc. etc., and I'll be cruising at 40 ~ 60 fps. :dance:

At random moments I'll get drops down to 20 fps, and sometimes it dips to 5. A few seconds later it gets cleared up, but this happens anywhere between every 10 minutes to 30 seconds. I'm having a hard time narrowing down what's causing the problem... Skyrim defaults my graphics to high, but I have them currently set to low in order to narrow things down...

I've turned off AA, AF, messed with the .ini, messed with the gameplay options, have shadows down as far as they'll go (I heard the shadows cause problems a lot).

could be loading the cells and if it sets to high. then you put it to low check like the grass, water and stuff like that, may be slowing you down from being super high detail / shadow also loading massive amount of objects in that certain cell. i wouldn't completely remove/disable shadows or that will drop it. experienced it, posted in a topic above from me. since yours is better than mine i don't think you would really want to use my skyrimprefs.ini . it set mine to low/medium, but was kinda unplayable. try checking to see and fix what a member posted in my topic or if you really want i can message you the *.ini :thumbsup: and you can go off and fix/change what i have tweaked.

I have messed around more with the .ini, and it looks like the dungeons are more smooth, but in the outside world the slow fps has become a pulsating problem... like, it'll be at 60 for 10 seconds or so and then dip to 20 for 2 or 3 seconds. During fights with wolves it'll dip to 10 or 15 fps. This is so weird, because it happens when I'm standing still also. It's like the CPU is running a check or reloading something every 10 seconds or so. Double checked background apps, nothing else is running.

Other that general stuttering, and loading issues, from setting options too high for your systems potential etc.

Try changing the graphics options to the lowest and test, to remove that from your possible causes. You can also try tick 'Object Detail Fade' in the skyrim launcher -> Advanced options to see if it makes a difference.

Have you your GPUs' Fan set to auto? It may sound ridiculous but, that can cause that sort of problem on some systems, everytime the GPU temp changes it takes a processing slice and changes the fan speed accordingly. I would try set it to manual at a desired speed and retest.

Graphics are already set to low, and I'm still experiencing the stuttering. I have a feeling it's not the GPU... but I don't know.

I'm not able to find any easy access to my fan speed or anything because I'm on a mobility chip, and they don't offer any overclocking or fan speed messing around usually. I didn't look terribly far into it though. The stock Catalyst Control Center offers no fan speed control though.

Is your laptop set to "Power Savings" or "Balanced" in the Control Panel? It could be that the system is limiting power to either or both of the CPU and GPU once it feels that it is consuming too much power. I would recommend setting it to "High Power" or some custom plan and see if that helps you out.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I couldn't find any morphological filtering option (to turn on or off) in my CCC (may not be an option with my card, as they cut corners with mobility cards a lot), but I poked around in the power settings.

I have power set to high performance when plugged in, but I forced high performance at all times just for kicks to see if that helped at all. Looks like it did, I haven't noticed any major unexplained fps drops for about half an hour now. Perhaps something derpy is happening with my adapter and it cuts power for fractions of a second, causing the GPU to stutter when the settings are set to go "power save" when on battery. Who knows... what a simple fix.

I'll post if it starts happening again.

Again, thanks!

Well NEVERMIND. It worked beautifully all day yesterday, but today it's been really bad with the fps drops. When they happen during fights, I'm absolutely toast. These stutters should not be happening on my rig at all.

I made sure the GPU was forced to high performance at all times. I'm not sure what else to do, and I'm not sure what I did to fix it for the day yesterday. Seems so random to me. Any other ideas?