(Nuka World) Disappointing questlines?

Vercalos

I typically play a karmically good character(for all that there's no karma in Fallout 4), and noticed that the main questline in Nuka World is heavily skewed towards raider playthroughs.

Just how much content do you miss if you don't play nice with the raiders?

Not a whole lot, actually. It certainly gives you that impression, but there's really not a whole lot you miss out on. The vast majority of the content is exploring each zone and making them safe to travel through. If you side against all the raider gangs, you can still do all that, the raiders just won't settle into these new areas. I won't spoil the content of the quests too much, you can look that up yourself if you want, but the only ones you miss out on are:

• The Grand Tour (You don't really miss out on this: it's just an overarching quest for exploring all the zones. You still get to do all its content, it just won't give you a quest that says which zones you've completed.)
  • Home Sweet Home (Introduces you to raiding settlements, but since you want to play a good character, skipping this quest is probably exactly what you want)
  • Power Play (Won't spoil it, but it's a pretty generic quest content-wise that just advances the raider storyline)
  • Amoral Combat (A side-quest that makes you fight somebody entering the Gauntlet. Pretty much the fight you had to do against the previous Overboss, except the roles are reversed. It's okay fun, but not exactly something you really miss. It's compensated by the fights against the Raider bosses you get to do if you're against them)

The main thing you miss out on are the radiant quests. The traders do react to you saving them and Nuka World does change based on helping them, but they don't give radiant quests like the raider gangs do. So depending on how much you like these radiant quests, it's either a big deal or no loss at all. I do recommend trying them out on a seperate character, some of them are fun enough.

If you want to be the good guy and take out the raiders to save the traders, talk to Preston or talk to the traders in Nuka Town. Or just start shooting the raiders.

Edited by Wunderbot

I don't see why a part of the game tthat finally requires you to be evil is disappointing. If you wanna be such a goodie, just kill them and be done. I'm sure there's plenty of playthru even so :smile:

I'm all for the option of being evil, but like the rest of the game giving you no choice but to be at worst a jerk, this one feels like you don't get very much agency to be a positive influence outside of just wiping out the raider gangs.

Particularly it feels like the Operators, at the very least, should be turnable to less violent means of profit. Even the Pack could be lead in a more benevolent direction by a show of force, so long as you were strong enough to take down any naysayers..

The only raider gang that feels like they'd never submit to a positive influence, really, are the Disciples.

I feel like there should have been more groups to support, so you'd get the same quest experiences, but potentially take over the parks in a more positive fashion, while still having a structured questline.

Edited by Vercalos

I don't see why a part of the game tthat finally requires you to be evil is disappointing. If you wanna be such a goodie, just kill them and be done. I'm sure there's plenty of playthru even so :smile:

I'm all for the option of being evil, but like the rest of the game giving you no choice but to be at worst a jerk, this one feels like you don't get very much agency to be a positive influence outside of just wiping out the raider gangs.

Particularly it feels like the Operators, at the very least, should be turnable to less violent means of profit. Even the Pack could be lead in a more benevolent direction by a show of force, so long as you were strong enough to take down any naysayers..

The only raider gang that feels like they'd never submit to a positive influence, really, are the Disciples.

The Blacks who lead the Operators are implied to be sociopaths through some holotapes you'll find eventually. Especially Mags seems to indicate through conversation that getting the caps through illegal means is just as much part of the fun than getting rich itself is. After all, they identify as raiders and not as just mercenaries. And the Pack by definition isn't really suited to function in any society. They follow the laws of nature and disabling the laws of nature is one of the first things a society does. And Mason, despite his weird animal-fetish, actually seems like the most normal of the leaders at first. If you do a raider playthrough, he's actually the worst of all three in some regards though. He's the only one that will never really show any sign of friendship or true loyalty to you.

In the end, there's enough dirt on all three gangs to not make me have any issues with taking them all out. I did also try out all conversation options to see if the Operators couldn't be swayed, but eh, I won't mourn them.

The Blacks who lead the Operators are implied to be sociopaths through some holotapes you'll find eventually. Especially Mags seems to indicate through conversation that getting the caps through illegal means is just as much part of the fun than getting rich itself is. After all, they identify as raiders and not as just mercenaries. And the Pack by definition isn't really suited to function in any society. They follow the laws of nature and disabling the laws of nature is one of the first things a society does. And Mason, despite his weird animal-fetish, actually seems like the most normal of the leaders at first. If you do a raider playthrough, he's actually the worst of all three in some regards though. He's the only one that will never really show any sign of friendship or true loyalty to you.

In the end, there's enough dirt on all three gangs to not make me have any issues with taking them all out. I did also try out all conversation options to see if the Operators couldn't be swayed, but eh, I won't mourn them.

I suppose you have a point. I still think my point that you lack agency in the Nuka World questline is valid however.

Like I said, you don't actually miss out on any content except the radiant quests. But I do agree that they clearly didn't bother fleshing out the good guy route.

You also miss out on at least one unique weapon by going against the raiders, as Amoral Combat, after several repeats, yields a unique gatling laser.

I decided to wipe out the raiders as soon as I was done in the park. Deciding who would get what inside their own territory was one thing. Blowing up stuff I had built was something I could not abide by. I wasn't motivated to free the slaves out of sympathy for them. I was simply protecting my own interests.

Nuka World does provide a good replay scenario. I am thinking about doing a new playthrough avoiding the minutemen until high enough level to do Nuka World then creating a raider empire.