A 53 yr old's view of difficulty

jeters5

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 40 and I remember great text-based games like Zork and Hitchhiker's. With those, the graphics were in your head! As a result, I rarely play a game with just one set avatar (like most first-person shooters). I like to get an idea of my character before I start (backstory, etc) and develop her/him accordingly. Forgive me for saying so, but I think a lot of younger kids just don't have the imagination that older folks do. I'm saying this because there are too many games in the past 10 years with the same theme, similar graphics, and rote 'storylines' written by the younger crowd.

I started TES with Daggerfall. I don't try to beat the game, I try to see everything that's in it. TES is very rich in backstory (lore) and Bethesda makes a noticeable effort in fleshing out stories from one game to the next. An entire world with it's own history and the freedom to create your own drew me to this world, and I'm staying.

I turned 22 today. I've been around long enough to know the basics. I'll have to wait 10 or more years until I get my gray hair. For now, I'm just gonna enjoy my late childhood.

I turned 22 today. I've been around long enough to know the basics. I'll have to wait 10 or more years until I get my gray hair. For now, I'm just gonna enjoy my late childhood.

Happy birthday!

Modern day stress will probably make your hair thin and fall out before it turns gray!!

i started with tabletop & bookshelf games in the late 80s early 90s. DnD type stuff, including DnD. so story is just as important to me as shiny things are, if not more so.

if a game i like is lacking in story, i'll write my own in my head. i do agree that gaming seems to be missing in story elements, more so lately. i do find it sad. so not all young whelps are unimaginative, just quite a lot of em' are. Makes me feel sorry for the younger generations, and everyone else as a result.

Edited by Invisible Man

I'm only 29 and I don't feel the need to play on Master difficulty to be challenged.

Which goes to demonstrate how dumbed down games are nowadays. Back when I was a kid, I didnt think twice about having to reload some tough battles in Baldurs Gate or such. Nowadays I -expect- a certain ease when playing RPGs as long as I'm not being a dumbass in games. I'm not quite sure how that happened actually.

Happy birthday!

Modern day stress will probably make your hair thin and fall out before it turns gray!!

Thank you. I live in a small city(we kinda know each other around here), so there's no modern day stress for me yet. I have some semi-curly hair. I red somewhere that it's more resistant that other hair types.

i started with tabletop & bookshelf games in the late 80s early 90s. DnD type stuff, including DnD. so story is just as important to me as shiny things are, if not more so.

Yeah, me too. I started playing D&D in the mid 80ies. And I'm much more the role playing than the fighting guy. If I had my way, the story and dynamic world would have the priority over the action. But that probably won't happen.

Oh look, another "I run around naked at Master and kill dragons with my fists. You people complaining just aren't good at games, I've been playing video games since I programmed my PDP-8 to play Tennis with an oscilloscope" post.

TL;DR congratulations about your gaming prowess; sorry about your hair.

Oh look, another "I run around naked at Master and kill dragons with my fists. You people complaining just aren't good at games, I've been playing video games since I programmed my PDP-8 to play Tennis with an oscilloscope" post.

TL;DR congratulations about your gaming prowess; sorry about your hair.

To even know about a PDP-8 denotes a certain generation and level of nerdiness to me. Welcome to the thread! ;)