A 53 yr old's view of difficulty

jeters5

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahaha... I was totally worried I was going to get to aged to play computer games, but I suppose I really should never worry over things like that because who can be to old to play a TES game!

Also I do not feel so old like I was this week... lol

No wrinkles at least! Aside from my eyes.... cause I dont sleep well. D:

Happy birthday Pushkatu! :D

Edited by nivea

I'm not sure any additions at this time are valuable.

So your post is to basically tell people they are wrong for wanting more difficulty from Skrim?

This is a modding site, either download the difficulty mods or don't. Simple as that. As a 40 year old, I think Bethsoft games can be finished on the highest difficulty with both eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back without breaking a sweat.

Bring on the realism/extra difficulty mods.

I tried to get my dad into gaming a few times. Once he enjoyed Quake 2 for a few days but never quite got the hang of save games...kept starting over. He really had the first few levels mastered though.

My dad is 80. I'm 55. Been programming for nearly 30 years, although in management now. The first game I worked on was my Rhianna mod for Oblivion - that was about when I went into management and missed coding.

I pretty much only play RPGs now because I love the stories-including the ones I create and live in the game. I used to read a ton of sci-fi and fantasy, but now I live my own stories in TES worlds (and Mass Effect too.) Good games are a great stress relief from days in executive meetings!

Edited by Jumonji

This thread is beautiful, I never had a doubt in my mind that the age span of todays games is vastly greater than it used to be but see it black on white is really cool. At work most people I talk to that play games regullary are married and over 40, it's their way to dream away a bit I guess.

I am 25 myself and my dad who is 68 is mostly stationed in front of the TV or computer. Problem is he doesn't know english very well so I can't introduce him to some brilliant games like Skyrim. It's a shame though because he is also a hunter (And a pretty active one) and there are some amazing games out there I know he would just love.

Um...the ages here kinda...scare me

One day, before you know it, you shall be old and wonder "How did all those years just fly by?"

That should scare you more than anything.

Tip from an "older" person. Do something with your life before you get too old to be able to do it. :thumbsup:

Ok that did scare me. Stop saying those things >< I still feel like it was yesterday I was 18.

I'm 53 and I've played games since the Spectrum...

However Elder Scrolls are the only 'real time action' games I've played.

And unlike all you types I am a grade A cowardy-custard and possibly the worst fighter the world has ever known! Skyrim scares me half to death on a 5- minute basis, or thereabouts. Needless to say, I'm playing on the easiest level and am waiting for mods that make it ...well, maybe just a touch easier still. Which I did in Morrowind and Oblivion. :P

For me, minimising the combat element helps me cope with the "jumpy" side of things without actually having a heart attack... At the moment, my nerves only seem to cope for a couple of hours. Is it me, or is this game scarier than Oblivion was?? (Or did I just forget how that made me jump)

(Actually the one thing I remember most clearly about Oblivion was the Thieves Guild khajiit appearing suddenly on my screen after a rest. I screamed out loud and my mouse went flying clear across the room! If Elder Scrolls were films, wild horses wouldn't make me watch them.And yet... I'm addicted. Weird!) ;)

I sorta have you all beat.... sorta...

I am 31,... however my father is 73 and flat out wont get off my DAMN COMPUTER!!!!

Should have never shown him the archery in the game. Now all he wants to do all day is go Virtual Hunting lol. :biggrin:

Nothing funnier then watching your father hunched over looking at the screen while trying to pick off a rabbit,... to have a dragon come plop down infront of him and you hear.

"I think I need a bigger bow!" :laugh:

beautiful :) I'd love to get my father playing. The closest he's come is having a look at the game and saying "Wow! look at the landscape on that!"

Seems im going to be the youngest one posting here,since im merely 16 :|

And i also find it nice for people from age group's who usually cant even operate a computer play a game like skyrim.

Maybe i should try teaching my dad to play? :D

What a great thread. I'm 62. Can't even operate a computer???? We were the FIRST to operate computers, chippie, and we were the first gamers. :) (That doesn't, of course, make us the best , hehe)

I'm on no suicide mission in Skyrim, nor do I like self-denial. I wear and shoot and use what I find. I level up in my specialty. If I get stuck, I'll read a wiki. If I get really stuck, I'll either go back to a previous save or open the console. I want to adventure, not work.

I am more fascinated by the stories and all the wonderful things I can see and horrible things I can shoot, than I am tinkering with alchemy, enchantment, or working in a forge to create armor. I'd rather learn to shoot my arrow for the most effectiveness. Between shouts and arrows (and ducking), I've killed a dragon with four arrows (my record...only did it once, but still...)

Nice thread. Very happy to see a lot of my peers (that is NOT pee-ers) here!

Edited by AbleGnome

I tried to get my dad into gaming a few times. Once he enjoyed Quake 2 for a few days but never quite got the hang of save games...kept starting over. He really had the first few levels mastered though.

My dad is 80. I'm 55. Been programming for nearly 30 years, although in management now. The first game I worked on was my Rhianna mod for Oblivion - that was about when I went into management and missed coding.

I pretty much only play RPGs now because I love the stories-including the ones I create and live in the game. I used to read a ton of sci-fi and fantasy, but now I live my own stories in TES worlds (and Mass Effect too.) Good games are a great stress relief from days in executive meetings!

Thanks for the post, Jumonji, I wholeheartedly agree, and I have the same gaming perspective now.

As I said above, I'm 62. It was my dad who got me into computers (he's gone now, but worked on the very early, huge data processors). I spent my time in the world of publishing and writing, while keeping in touch with technology.

I think Skyrim has excellent writing and acting. Often, however, it is inappropriate or repetitive, but that's an open-world for you. Loving this game. I also keep going back to Fallout 3 and New Vegas.