( Video Tutorial) How to Get Custom Weapons Into Skyrim!

somuchmonsters

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the helmet tutorial. the exporter does in fact export correct vertex color, I think what you are getting is errors on import with vertex color...

Also what you did appeared/seemed to have messed up your smoothing groups.. which would cause shading errors.

Edited by Ghogiel

those are just the envelope visualisations, ignore them, the bones are in their normal place. Happens everytime and it cannot be prevented, its a problem with the plugin skewing the rots

just pretend those arent even there, the bones are where they need to be, thats what matters

skin with vertices :)

Awesome tut!

I've made a quick model to substitute for the stock iron warhammer (pic :D) as someone who hasn't touched 3dsmax before this, how would I go about creating a texture for it? Or would have to wait for an updated nifskope for an easier time? I know how to manipulate textures for existing models but new ones/3dsmax is a whole different bag. Thanks.

Edited by incomplete

those are just the envelope visualisations, ignore them, the bones are in their normal place. Happens everytime and it cannot be prevented, its a problem with the plugin skewing the rots

just pretend those arent even there, the bones are where they need to be, thats what matters

skin with vertices :)

Yeah, Joe explained it to me already but thanks anyway, I learned how to propper weight things with verts. Still, mirroring isn't working very well and I think the cause is those screwed up envelopes =S, take the clavicles as an example, I had to rise the threshold to 4 and then it will find a mirror yes, but at that point it even found a mirror for a spine bone so....

And incomplete, doing the textures for your model now won't hurt you, nifskope doesn't have anything to do with it. You only need to set up the UV maps for your model and you're good to go, export a template and do the texture in photoshop or your editing program of choice. Nifskope only affects the "taking the model ingame" part, but in a few months we should have a better workflow without that much nifskope editing involved.

By the way, After seeing Joe's videos I decided to learn 3d modeling and... god, this is so much fun! I have sculpted one model so far, tried to keep it simple but I ended adding a lot of stuff... (the grip of the handle should and will be changed, I hate that one)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/Bou-chan_album/AwesomeSword.jpg

a detail of the handle

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/Bou-chan_album/AwesomeDetail.jpg

It has its low poly version and normal and displacement maps, but no colormap, some nasty seams in the normal and argueable topology xD. I know, I know, with Dynamesh's Black Voodo magic is Sculpt->Clay Polysh->?->Profit but I still decided to learn ye olde way, I did that one using topology tools and now I'm making a skull starting with a ShadowBox created mesh.

Thanks to you Joe I'm putting my graphic tablet to some use ^^

Edited by aoikun

Yeah actually just ended up bullying my way through the options and made myself a crappy texture just for kicks.

http://i.imgur.com/cPIe6.png

Nice learning experience, just need to get myself comfortable with the actual modelling side of things. Spent hours making that model and it isn't even accurate to what I was modelling it off lol.

Edited by incomplete

Hi Joe, these vids look fantastic.

I would suggest adding the tutorials to the Nexus Wiki and tagging them with the Skyrim category tag to make them all nice-n-easy to find. :thumbsup:

Don't know how to create a wiki page? We've got you covered, here's how.

If you are still not sure about how to make wiki pages, do what I do, look at the source (by going into edit mode) and see how somebody else did one similar to what you are wanting to do. There are a LOT of tutorials to choose from.

Here is a specific example of a video tutorial on the wiki: Blender video on adding textures

FYI - The YouTube tag is currently broken but should be fixed soon, so just use my example and trust that it will work in the future.

Thanks,

LHammonds

Im having problems.

I can get my sword model into the game. all that data is right. But its got the wrong or no textures. I done exactly what u said in the video, and it wont show the color map, or the normals, it shows the specular map, and the eviroment map, but no colour or bumps.

So I remade it and now I cant get it to show any textures at all.

What version of nifscope did you use?

Aoikun: f*** ya, brotha! I'm excited to see you leap off into the deep end. Seems you are doing just fine indeed! Be sure to show me the final results, ya? Did you dig through all the other videos in my channel, then? Glad to see someone get excited about the thing I love so much!

Incomplete: Hey man! Nice start. Definitely would encourage you to keep modeling and spend a little time learning to UV map. Way to go taking that plunge like Aoikun, though!

LHammonds: I'll see about the wiki stuff in the future. It's enough work digging through info and making the videos as it is. I'm a busy boy at the moment. My last class teaching at futurepoly is on monday, though. Should be able to spend a bit more time and get a wiki page up later.

Muncha: It sounds like you may need to give copying that bslighting node and make sure you assign the textures correctly. If you didn't you will get similar results to what you described. I'm still using the version of nifskope that is linked in the custom weapon youtube video. 1.1 or something? Not on the right computer to verify the number right now, sorry!