This is the site feedback/questions section

Dark0ne

Suggestion: Migration Towards a Debian-Like Package Management System

OK, for all those reading this who are not reasonably technically aware Linux users, I apologize. This will be a stretch - but please stick with me.

There is today a fabulous contrast in efficiency between Microsoft's patching model for Windows (which is awful) and the Linux patching model, as implemented by Linux versions based upon the Debian distribution.

With Windows, each time I build (or rebuild) a new machine, I am required to re-patch my system from scratch, unless I have something quite exotic (like ipFire) on my local network. With Linux, however, I can do something very different. Packages are downloaded into a disk cache area before being applied, and each package comes with a set of dependency descriptors built in. Thus, if I download a package that needs something else, my machine will *automatically* fetch and install everything I need in one go. But more than that, the fact that all the packages I use are cached locally means that I can take a copy of that cache for archive purposes. I can copy the cache from one installed machine to another (or in my case just map a network share). It means that I can create a new build and patch in seconds, without having to re-download hundreds of Mb of data...

You get where I'm going, right?

Would it be possible to tweak the implementation of NMM - borrowing directly from Linux Package Management code - so that we could have an environment where we can cache packages locally please? That way, if ever I want or need to re-install Skyrim, I can very, very quickly re-apply all my favourite patches because I retained copies of them...

In the Linux world,

"apt-get update" refreshes the package index, identifying any newly upgraded packages I may need

"apt-get upgrade" then downloads the packages, caches them, and applies them.

When I go to a second machine and repeat the above commands, I do not have to "re-download" anything previously fetched. It saves me masses amount of bandwidth and it's *lots* faster...

I do appreciate that this could require architecture changes under the hood, but I truly believe it's a great feature to have...

@ytene; Not sure who/what are you addressing here...

If you're talking about the Nexus sites in general (which is where you posted) then you should send your suggestions to Inversion Power, authors of the software, "I.P. Boards", that runs these sites.

If you're talking about the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM), there's a whole different forum devoted to that.

Theres a Bug on the Nexus Forum thats been going on for awhile, normally you can put a Link inbetween typing and continue, but now the Link merge the Typing into the Link.

Theres a Bug on the Nexus Forum thats been going on for awhile, normally you can put a Link http://skyrim.nexusmods.com inbetween typing and continue, but now the Link merge the Typing into the Link.

Edit: See what i mean, now i have to type things while putting the link way below where you normally can place the link and continue typing.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com

Theres another Bug when i send a PM, the Link of a Mod stays, but everything i typed, disappears, then when i Re-type everything again, the PM sends successfully.

Edited by daventry

Hi quick question where's the Nexus.WIKI tutorials ????????? been lookin a couple days for them thanks

Go to the Nexus Mods site of any game and you'll see the WIKI button: it's in the middle along the top row of coloured buttons on every page.

What can cause a forum thread to appear with a red "overlay" and deliver a "You don't have permission to access this" message?

From my login name dropdown box, I selected "My Content" and the thread list came up. One of the threads I had previously posted in (1000's of haelgas) had a red tint and when I clicked on it, got a "You don't have permission to access..." screen.

I'm sure this is a noob question, but I searched the help files and several topics for "permission denied", "red message", even just "red" and did not find anything useful.

I'm wondering if it was my fault; I was in the middle of a post when a visitor showed up and I was away from the KB for some time with the editor active.

I just want to see how the thread OP solved his problem. Thx.

What can cause a forum thread to appear with a red "overlay" and deliver a "You don't have permission to access this" message?

From my login name dropdown box, I selected "My Content" and the thread list came up. One of the threads I had previously posted in (1000's of haelgas) had a red tint and when I clicked on it, got a "You don't have permission to access..." screen.

I'm sure this is a noob question, but I searched the help files and several topics for "permission denied", "red message", even just "red" and did not find anything useful.

I'm wondering if it was my fault; I was in the middle of a post when a visitor showed up and I was away from the KB for some time with the editor active.

I just want to see how the thread OP solved his problem. Thx.

Yeah I had this prob W chat page (see previous page of this thread). No one ever answered me. Getting the feeling no one cares any more.

EDIT: Oh, I just checked, and it was not in red.

Edited by HalloweenWeed

Normally hidden posts are in red - that is to indicate only the staff, and depending on where the post is, maybe the author, are supposed to be able to see them.