The US justice system.

marharth

How exactly will drug gangs be able to sell drugs on the street when you can buy them in a safer place for the same or less cost? Countries with legal drugs don't have an issue with drug gangs.

So to ask this again, why do you want to put heroin addicts in jail? Why not put them into a rehab program? That is almost always the choice of the court, and the court would prefer to send these people to jail.

Heroin is extremely deadly, yet a lot of people posting here supports the idea of owning your own life. If you think suicide is okay why is killing yourself with heroin so much different? Legalizing drugs should not be about what is dangerous to a individual. It should be about your right to do whatever you want with yourself, even if it means death.

@TheFourthHorse Why do these programs have to happen after a arrest then? Tax funded private organizations exist, it doesn't have to be completely government run.

@granny, it should be obvious what the link is. Our prison system is completely over populated due to drug arrests and other non violent crimes. The court system is set up so drug arrests and non violent crimes can be done.

@Aurielius

"As for the Pot smokers, well it's social Darwinism ..they will be taken out of the gene pool due to their proclivities."

That is not how Darwinism works.

Also is anyone seriously suggesting there is no link between poverty and crime? That is laughable. Obviously not everyone who is poor will want to commit a crime, but if you are poor there is no question you are more likely to commit a crime then a middle class family.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly will drug gangs be able to sell drugs on the street when you can buy them in a safer place for the same or less cost? Countries with legal drugs don't have an issue with drug gangs.

people have a hard time reconciling with this idea, because it is something they have never experienced. but like you say, there exist places to go to see this function in reality.

or, one can simply remember the american ban on alcohol back in the day:

there were gangs dealing alcohol, because it was illegal. people went to jail. people were killed in shootouts.

but today alcohol is legal (well, apart from moonshine)

and nobody goes to jail for selling beer or wine or whiskey, or gets in shootouts with the police over it.

people have a hard time reconciling with this idea, because it is something they have never experienced. but like you say, there exist places to go to see this function in reality.

or, one can simply remember the american ban on alcohol back in the day:

there were gangs dealing alcohol, because it was illegal. people went to jail. people were killed in shootouts.

but today alcohol is legal (well, apart from moonshine)

and nobody goes to jail for selling beer or wine or whiskey, or gets in shootouts with the police over it.

The thing people tend to forget is the same thing is happening with the American ban on drugs. This time the lower class is suffering from it though so less people care.

@marharth

What are you talking about? There are programs available. If you want to turn this into a debate about healthcare fine but you’re all over the place now :confused:

And have you forgotten how addictive these things are?

Edited by TheFourthHorse

@marharth

What are you talking about? There are programs available. If you want to turn this into a debate about healthcare fine but you’re all over the place now :confused:

You are missing my point.

Why should we be putting heroin addicts in jail?

@marharth

No I'm not... I already said they should be put in rehab.Thats what I've been talking about this whole time.

edit: I'm not sure where we're losing each other but if you’re talking about the jail time after a subsequent arrest that’s just holding…

Edited by TheFourthHorse

@marharth

No I'm not... I already said they should be put in rehab.Thats what I've been talking about this whole time.

edit: I'm not sure where we're losing each other but if you’re talking about the jail time after a subsequent arrest that’s just holding…

What I am saying is that the court will not always be willing to send someone to rehab. Instead of arresting addicts there should be a program put in place to help addicts.

What I am saying is that the court will not always be willing to send someone to rehab. Instead of arresting addicts there should be a program put in place to help addicts.

I agree there should be but weren't you saying they should just be legalized?

The problem is if you give an addict a 100% "your choice" they will almost always go with the drugs. I believe an arrest with a program in place where the courts must send users to a rehab program is a fair compromise.

I agree there should be but weren't you saying they should just be legalized?

The problem is if you give an addict a 100% "your choice" they will almost always go with the drugs. I believe an arrest with a program in place where the courts must send users to a rehab program is a fair compromise.

If courts have to send people to rehab that is better. If your drug use is not hurting anyone then it is your choice honestly. I still think everything should be legal, but having a court be forced to assign someone to rehab instead of sending them to jail is a lot better.