Is Fallout 4 Modding Scene Dead ?

Aeradom

As someone who was modding both TES and FO since Morrowind I have to agree that the modding scene of F4 is, if not dead, hectic at best and that most people here are in denial or are just talking about mods like "adding stains on windows" or "fancier dialog wheel". I guess you could say that the modding scene is more alive than ever, filled with mods like these. Personally I really wish for a mod that brings forward the game's rpg elements... oh wait.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the denial crowd then.

The publicly available statistics show that Fallout 4 has more new mods per month than any other game site on Nexus, and it has been that way for the past 6 months.

Out of over 18,000 FO4 mods, for the 50 of those files that have received the most endorsements in the past 2 weeks, roughly 1/3 of them are mods released in the past 6 months, and half of those are stuff released in the past month.

And then the thread typically devolves into:

"But they're just lame re-texture mods that don't fix the game's fundamental problems". Sim Settlements is the #1 most endorsed file in the past 2 weeks and was released 6 weeks ago.

"The dialogue system, lack of FO4SE functionality, etc. makes large quest/companion/whatever mods impossible." Not true. Look at the top 50 most endorsed files in the past 2 weeks. Modders have found a way to make those mods anyway.

"Well, okay, but there's still no sex mods". They're out there, just not on Nexus.

"Fine, but the mods being released aren't the good mods that I want to see". 1) Specifically what mods do you want to see that haven't been released yet? Maybe someone reading this will like your suggestion and make a mod that does what you're looking for. 2) Creation Kit is free if you want to try it yourself, and there is more support than ever before via forums, YouTube, etc. for learning how to mod Bethesda games.

Did I miss anything?

And regarding RPG elements, the game has those, e.g. Last Voyage of the U.S.S Constitution. Making a mod with that degree of choice is simple, all the tools are there, it's just not easy, because you and the voice actors who help you (for free!) must be willing to accept that well over half of what you build into the mod will not be seen by the typical user playing it. (And Bethesda games aren't RPG games to begin with, they are their own genre, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms, so I'm going to stop typing here...)

I'm definitely a part of the "denial crowd". FO4 is the first Bethesda game where I've made any "real" mods and have a couple of quest mods in early stages.

I believe the main reason it seems like FO4 is dying compared to the TES games is because, at least in my experience, people enjoy fantasy more than post-apocalyptica in general, so there's going to be a lot more people there. There's also a lot of "quest" (dungeon) mods for the TES games (especially Skyrim). But I rarely see any quest mods that add more than "There's a note/an NPC/a whisper on the wind that says you should go explore this cave.", in terms of roleplaying for those games. There are a few, but there are a lot more that are just a dungeon, sometimes with a backstory to it.

That formula doesn't translate quite as well into the Fallout setting, mostly because it's hard to plop down a large cave system anywhere and fill it with raiders without making it feel out of place. Most of the time it's done in fantasy it's filled with undead or animals, and while Fallout does have ghouls, I'd have a hard time believing in 20 different cave systems beneath Boston all filled to the brim with ghouls. And if we put raiders there, what would they be searching for? Why would they stay there, far away from anyone they can rob? What would the institute want to find if they are there? Super Mutants might be stupid enough to stay there, I suppose. But then we have to find a reason for the cave system to be there in the first place too. Is it a mine? If so, who dug the mine originally? What were they digging for?

And things like that is why we don't have as many mods for Fallout 4. At least/especially not in terms of quest mods. In a fantasy world it's a lot easier to justify things like "Here's a burial ground" or "Here's a gold mine", than in the middle of "real world" Boston.

• 2 weeks later...

Sim Settlements. even if you don't like the mod, it is a pretty complex mod that very much changes one of the main game mechanics. I love it on the surface, but beyond that , Kinggath has been releasing in depth videos explaining the details of its features, as well as the mechanics behind it. not to mention it is also a framework, and people have been coming up with some impressive add ons for it.

I see how modding for the game could feel dead, but this mod seemingly came out of left field, and opens up new possibilites. my point is that people could be working on some other game changing mods , and they won't have any effect on the scene until they're released.

I'm still waiting for drastic town overhauls of diamond city , and especially goodneighbor. i know there are a couple, but when there is more variety, it gives other modders new ideas. Town and city overhauls have always been my favorite mods in skyrim. I've slowly been learning the creation kit because i hate to be that guy that just waits, but I dont have lots of time for gaming, and I enjoy playing the game too much. This is why I try to at least show massive appreciation for the great mod authors that we have here.

I like fallout, I like Bethesda, but there is a certain level of shine Bethesda is willing to put on fallout and it's far lower than elder scrolls. For instance I remember back when oblivion came out we all wanted werewolves, it didn't happen but we got shivering isles and when skyrim came out werewolves were standard. The elder scrolls modding community is larger but it lacks a lot of focus and ideas which are further divided by the will of the author. Because of this what you end up getting are either smaller mods you could do yourself or immense overhauls that kill your FPS and are likely to break you out of tonic. But with most fallout mods, things are in between and are usually lore friendly. As I see it everyone wants to make skyrim their personal fantasy game weather that be grim dark GOT, narnia, or dark souls, hell I made my skyrim into fallout 3 with a dwarven power armor and plasma gun. This is in contrast to fallout which every mod changes a ton of things tens to hundreds of thousands of people want changed and usually is lore friendly, because people who want to play fallout want to be IN the fallout universe as opposed to their own custom universe on the fallout engine.

• 6 years later...