GeForce GTX 560 TI graphic card users.

BarefootWarrior

I thought I would pass this along to anyone using the GeForce GTX 560 series family of video cards. There seems to be an issue with these cards dropping to a black screen. You then get a flag stating that there is a driver kernal problem then the 'driver has recovered'. This has happened to me many times and it is just random, makes no difference what you are doing. I have read many threads on the Nvidia site and of couse they are saying it is an hardware issue. I would say that it isn't. I have rolled back drivers and now am trying the new 290.36 beta driver and it makes no difference.

Nvidia is aware of the problem and it seems to be mostly related to anyone using the Win 7 64 bit OS. If you are using a GeForce GTX 560, and this is happening to you while playing this game, it more then likely is not a game related crash. Let's hope that Nvidia can get this corrected soon. So save often...in anything you may be working on, or playing. :unsure:

Anyway, I thought some of you might like to know if you were not aware of this.

Asus Crossfire IV Formula motherboard

Phenom II T1055 six core AMD

Coolit ECO R-120 liquid cooling for CPU

Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM / 16 Gig

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 TI / 1 GB 290.36 / Beta drivers

Corsair 850 power supply

Creative Labs Supreme FX XFI audio

Cooler Master Sniper Case / black edition

28 wide screen i_Inc monitor, not the best but works nicely.

Win 7 64 Ulitmate

Edited by BarefootWarrior

I have one of these! and yes i was getting that problem on 285. drivers and random crashes in game.

Rolled back to 275.33.....in conjuntion with 4gig patch( the only stable driver i seem to have). never had problems with nvidia drivers before, but this year seem terrible for stability.

As i say running these older drivers, i have not had a repeat of the afore mentioned issue.

I was thinking of trying the beta's, but you say the problem persists?

Edited by crudius

I have one of these! and yes i was getting that problem on 285. drivers and random crashes in game.

Rolled back to 275.33.....in conjuntion with 4gig patch( the only stable driver i seem to have). never had problems with nvidia drivers before, but this year seem terrible for stability.

As i say running these older drivers, i have not had a repeat of the afore mentioned issue.

I was thinking of trying the beta's, but you say the problem persists?

For me, yes...the problem is still there, not as often but still get the black screen. I went back to 275.33 as well and it didn't seem to help in my case. I have no clue right now. :rolleyes:

I might add, I think I am going to re-install the drivers once gain, but this time do a 'custom' install and leave out the 3D stuff. I don't have a 3D system (nor do I want one) and some of the posts I read are saying they think the 3D drivers may be causing a conflict. Some are saying that the problem stopped when they did not install any of the 3D drivers. Nvidia hasn't said anything one way or the other on this one...to date anyway.

Edited by BarefootWarrior

I was just going to suggest 'driver only' install, and leave out all the other 'toys' in the bundle.

When i first had problems with the driver immediately after 275.33, i remember reading somewhere to just go for driver only install.

Works for me.

The 400 and 500 series use the same drivers. I'm currently running a GTX 480OC and the game runs great. However I have a 560ti 2Win that I want to replace the 480 with and I'm hesitant to do it now if I end up having to go back to 480 for Skyrim. I'm running the 285.79 driver now and haven't installed the latest driver yet (the one that enables occlusion) because I've read of similar problems described here. [The latest driver doesn't seem to have an Sli profile for Skyrim yet either. If anyone's running a pair of 560s Sli, how is it working for you?]

At any rate I've learned to never upgrade a driver with nVidia's "Express Install" and learned a lot from this thread -

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372

It takes more time but I followed it and reinstalled my present driver and it eliminated some crashes from FONV that I'd always thought were game related.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, same here.

Since I installed the newest driver (296.10) for my GTX 560 Ti, many games and applications randomly crash with the error message mentioned above. It even happens when watching youtube videos in fullscreen. Additionally to the crashes, I randomly get a black screen with weird blueish and pinkish color fragments. It's really annoying.

But strange as it sounds, I'm glad to know it's not my hardware that's broken and that I'm not the only one with this issue.

had to back off on the driver as it hung on some imbedded videos deal with .. but worked fine for this game, unfortunately keeps crashing and restoring with some videos as indicated. So for the game tis nice but for some work do ain't nice. Such is life. Probably go to the 680 and see if works for both. Of course could be the other folks need to update ... probably 80+% chance of that being the issue